PDA

View Full Version : cracked case, need some help

bansheemorphine
05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
My chain fell off today, i have a case saver but it bent that and pushed it right against the clutch arm. I know someone who has a tig and that can weld this but could someone tell me how to get the clutch arm out because theres a seal there and it will likly melt that.

Sick0
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
This has happen to many yfz including both of mine.... I used jb weld to fix it from leaking oil.... My friend try welding, but its very hard weld case.....

bansheemorphine
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
how well did the jb weld work?

jshtex
05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
There is a push rod running thru the motor that presses on the back side of the pressure plate on the clutch. If you pull the shaft out you can then simply pull the shaft your needing to move up and out and then pull the seal as well. To get to it you will need to disasemble at least part of the clutch.

Having said that though when we broke a chain and did basically the same thing, at first i tried a boat load of jb weld but it leaked. So eventually I just bit the bullet and purchased a new case and swapped it all out. New bearings etc. at the same time.

If you go the case route remember that you have to purchase the yfz case as a complete unit as they are machined as a set. i have heard of folks buying one side off ebay and replacing it but i wouldn't do it.

glanzeryfz
05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
My 04 did the same thing. The chain came off and did the same thing the crack was a little futher up than urs. Our farm insurance is covering to fix mine i got a local shop that is going to try and weld it or JB weld it and then hes putting a 13 tooth sprocket on it or 2 teeth bigger. Yeah it sucks when that **** happens. i will let you know if my guy gets the job done i will post pics too.

DarkRider3
05-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I bought my YFZ used and just found out today, 4 months later that I have a crack i nthe same place. The previous owner JB welded it and it started leaking on me yesterday (only rode it 7 times). I am really ticked! My local yamaha shop told me $1000 to fix, but I could have it welded. Has anyone successfully welded one? I would stay away from the JB weld unless you need a really quick fix.