PDA

View Full Version : best shocks for the money

dirtbike34j
05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
i was looking into getting shocks for my 400ex and was wandering what are the best qquallity shock for the money please state the name price and why thanks

skatrdude20
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Right now I would go with the new shocks that owner of GT Thunder and owner of HMF have come up with, They have TWO quality names behind them, especially Laz of GT Thunder, who specializes in shocks and shock related things, They are also a shock steered towards the budget rider to have a decent setup without breaking out the big bucks. Hope this helps!

dirtbike34j
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
ok thanks do u have any links to them likw where o buy them for the cheapest

skatrdude20
05-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Im not even sure who distributes them right now, but I would get on www.gtthunder.com and look around, maybe contact Laz himself through email and he'll be able to help you more than I can.

skatrdude20
05-04-2008, 06:25 PM
https://hmfengineering.com/shop.php?category_id=4142

Thats the site for the shocks themselves, Iv heard nothing but good about them, and they definately have quality names written all over them!

bearair
05-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Here's the gateway site. http://www.hlssuspension.com/

There is some small print that says they are taking pre-production orders. No for sure release date.

zrpilot
05-04-2008, 07:49 PM
If you were to purchase the Essential Series, I agree, the HLS Suspensions are great shocks. But when you consider the Enhanced or Elite Series, one could make the arguement that, depending on your riding needs and style, re-valved/re-sprung 450R fronts would be a better shock for less $$$$.

Just my $.02

"take my advice, I don't need it"

05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
If you were to purchase the Essential Series, I agree, the HLS Suspensions are great shocks. But when you consider the Enhanced or Elite Series, one could make the arguement that, depending on your riding needs and style, re-valved/re-sprung 450R fronts would be a better shock for the same $$$$.

Just my $.02

"take my advice, I don't need it"

I agree rebuilt 450r front shocks have the same pottential you just have to do more like get 450r fronts and then have them sent out but you end up paying less. HLS I wouldnt mind if 450r fronts didnt work

dirtbike34j
05-05-2008, 07:32 AM
what about works, elkas, ishocks whats the pros and cons about them?

mcwilly
05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
I placed an order this morning for the "Essential Series" by HLS. Obviously I dont have them installed yet (said it would take a couple of days to set them up and ship) so I cant give a personal review of them, but I've heard good things about them.

mitchamus
05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
There not adjustable are they. So you spend 500 bucks for non ressie non adjustable shocks?

mcwilly
05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by mitchamus
There not adjustable are they. So you spend 500 bucks for non ressie non adjustable shocks?

They are adjustable (preload compression). But they do not have a ressie.

coryatver
05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
500 bucks thats the same price as the elka rec series no resi no adjustment other than preload and gt valving is way better than elka

mcwilly
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
I placed an order this morning for the "Essential Series" by HLS. Obviously I dont have them installed yet (said it would take a couple of days to set them up and ship) so I cant give a personal review of them, but I've heard good things about them.

Just got off the phone w/ HLS. My shocks shipped UPS and per the tracking site, should be here next Monday.

zrpilot
05-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Take some pictures and post your thoughts on these, so the rest of us can be better informed!

mcwilly
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
Take some pictures and post your thoughts on these, so the rest of us can be better informed!

Most definately.
Even if they suck, I'm gonna claim they're the best ever...simply because they're on MY bike. :blah:

mcwilly
05-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Good news: Got the shocks delivered today.
Bad news: The springs are blue (not red as pictured)
I dont know if they're colored for different weight/riding types or what. But I'm gonna call tomorrow to see about getting the red springs instead. Everything on my bike is black and/or red. Looks like I'll get a 2-fer-one review.....customer service and how the shocks perform.