PDA

View Full Version : Fan Question

X400EX
05-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Hello,

I found some 12V fan to install on my 400ex.

I'd like to know : which way should I install it? Does the fresh air has more positive impact towards the motor or towards the oil cooler?

Thank you.

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 08:17 AM
since when did honda put radiators on the 400ex :devil: IMO the fan would do better pointin torwards the motor than th oil cooler

X400EX
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
lol my bad, didn't got much sleep last night! Yeah and oil cooler, I meant. :D

Thanks UNBROKEN, someone else can confirm?

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 08:26 AM
are u having problems with over heating or something ? when not try some air scoops first

coryatver
05-04-2008, 08:33 AM
if you just got a regular 12 v fan is probley going to get wet and muddy the first ride and go bad. Its not going to do much anyway only would be better for when you are sitting still idling. Its not worth it to cut into your harness and rig up some mess. If you are running hot get a bigger oil cooler, oil tank, air scoops, run better synthetic oil, wrap your exhuast or ceramic coat. its going to cost you some $$$$$ rigging up some little fan aint going to do crap

X400EX
05-04-2008, 08:33 AM
I am, and I want to add some reliability too.

REPOMAN
05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
if you just got a regular 12 v fan is probley going to get wet and muddy the first ride and go bad. Its not going to do much anyway only would be better for when you are sitting still idling. Its not worth it to cut into your harness and rig up some mess. If you are running hot get a bigger oil cooler, oil tank, air scoops, run better synthetic oil, wrap your exhuast or ceramic coat. its going to cost you some $$$$$ rigging up some little fan aint going to do crap
the ignorance in that post has ruined my whole morning.. the fan will absolutely help. i use a puller fan which is pulling the air from the cooler towards the motor. i have no more that 55 dollars involved. why someone would cut into here harness instead of just running a toggle switch to it is beyond me but mmmk.

X400EX
05-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks REPOMAN, I'm now installing it. That fan cost me 12$ and is will help for sure.

Now, I'd like to know if I can plug it into my iginition switch connector? Can I use Black/White & Green or Black/Red wires to get power?

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 12:47 PM
wuts was the fan desghned for cuz u might have problems with mud and water, my cousins chinse 250 4 wheeler has a fan that constily runs and seems to do a good job i cant find were to buy them at tho

REPOMAN
05-04-2008, 01:14 PM
i have a 4" spal fan hat i bought on here from 08400ex i think his name is. i just ran my ran on a toggle switch so i can turn it on and off whenever i want. use it mostly when i am riding slow and need air to move. it is also waterproof and is completely sealed.

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 01:25 PM
man that 4 inch spal fan is 70 dollars :eek2: ill try ebay, do u think a 6.5 will fit

05-04-2008, 01:35 PM
You want the fan to suck the heat away not blow. I hooked up 3 PS2 fans to my oil cooler once. I could feel the moving a good amount of hot air but im not sure if it was helping any or not after 5mph.

05-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I saw a guy who cut his stock plastics making a hole and he put a screen over it and it was so perfect for air to go to the oil cooler and it looks awesome. I wish I had some pictures but i'm probally going to do it so i'll take some of mine.

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 02:05 PM
^ but that wont help when ure in the tight stuff

X400EX
05-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Alright, I got it done.

I have installed my 6'' 12V fan, with Hi-Low/On-off speed controler.

It seems to work very well, I feel a good air flow and after 30 minutes of riding, I could touch the old cooler without being burned... :) I will post some pics soon.

rneck400ex
05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Hay X400EX where did you get your fan from??

REPOMAN
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
i have the hole cut on mine also on my aftermarket plastics underneath my hood. i also have scoops and a larger cooler and combined with the fan i dont heat up to much.

REPOMAN
05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
if you guys want a good deal on a spal fan message "08400ex" he is a dealer. that is how i got mine cheaper than anywhere else. i assure he will be the cheapest around.

X400EX
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, I got mine from what we call here a "garage sale". It is used. Don't know if it will last, I let ya know.

Edit : I found an image that shows from what I took off the fan :

http://www.sales-services.co.uk/assets/images/car_fan03.jpg

It was supposed to go in a car, with a 12V plug. I have removed everything, only kept motor, fan and switch. Since I don't ride my bike in any water or mud, I think it may has a chance to last.

UNBROKEN
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
lol its a min desk fan yeah any mud or watter will ruin it good luck

05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
I took a fan that is about 5" wide or so and a maybe a foot in diameter and it fit perfectly under the front of the quad behind the bumper and under the fenders. obviously I would rig it up but I use it when I am testing when standingstill and stuff you can feel the heat blowing past if you stand behind the quad and you really notice how much cooler everything becomes. The stock oil coller doesnt really even get any air while moving because its tucked under where the fenders block the flow there. I can see how the fans will work good and how cutting a hole in your plastics EX: a hood or something because thats goes right to the oil cooler then. Fans cool it down so much when your not moving or you shut it off to let it cool down.

X400EX
05-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
lol its a min desk fan yeah any mud or watter will ruin it good luck

Probably yeah, but I've put some stuff to protect the fan motor. Since I don't mess up with any mud or water (only when cleaning it up), may be it will last 2 weeks, lol

05-05-2008, 11:47 AM
My fans on my oil cooler worked for a few weeks till my header milted them and started a lil plastic fire. :eek2: I never ran mud water either. Dust and dirt might still wreck the fan.

BigBore24
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
may not last long but at least you can try it to see if you notice a difference before you go and spend more on a better one

Wheelie
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm also running a 4" SPAL fan from 08400ex. It works great! Very noticable difference in the engine temps after running the fan for a short while. For only a 4" fan this thing moves alot of air, and as stated before, they are designed for this type of application. Water, mud, sand, etc aren't going to kill it.

Arguably the best $$ I spent on my quad yet. Cooling on demand, just flip a switch.:macho

BigBore24
05-06-2008, 09:15 AM
wheelie, do you have a temp dipstick? if so what kinda temps you running?

rneck400ex
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
"Wheelie" could you take and podt some pictures of the fn all mounted up?
Thsnks Brian

05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I think you should get a 3 pack of them FX temp stickers for $15. Put one on the oil cooler, head, and oil tank or bottom end and drive around with the fans going and see what temp it is and then drive around with out the fans on and see if the fans are even doing much good.

Wheelie
05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Here are a couple pics of the fan mounted.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0230.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0229.jpg

Here you can see the toggle switch between the nuetral light and igntion switch. Look closely.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/DSCF0238.jpg

05-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm just curious on how the fan worked out cooling it. If you take a look air doesnt really flow past the oil coller at all it being so high up the nose of the quad blocks the air quite a bit. Thats why I mentioned about cutting a hole in the plastics because I saw a guy who di it an it looked awesome and directed air right to the oil cooler through the hole. So without a hole I can see the fan working pretty good but how much does it do? You can mount a fan to push insted of pull on the front side of the cooler between the frame rail and steering stem. I looked and theres a bit of room. Wouldnt a pusher be better than a puller? It wouldnt be right up to the oil cooler but I dont think that would matter much if it pushed the air instead of sucked it. Just my opinion though I dont have many facts to back that up determining whats better. I switched to 20w-50 oil so that should make it run a bit cooler I wish i could run that in synthetic but I can fork over the $7 or $8 a quart for the stuff on how much my income currently is. Air scoop wise I was making my own but I have been so busy that came to a hault for now. I need to see proof or hear legitimate proof that something works. So any results with the fan? If so how much cooler would you say it runs?

rneck400ex
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks a lot Wheelie that helped a ton! Now i just wist 08400ex would respond to my e-mail so i can buy one!

REPOMAN
05-07-2008, 01:41 PM
i just called him and told him people are looking for him. he said he would get on asap as he has been crazy busy with work.

05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I mounted the stock oil cooler behind the front frame rails on my 400ex for better cooling.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/quad/4wheeler224.jpg

SG1
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Check this out and see if this would work.
It's a lot cheaper and waterproof. This Fan is a 92mm fan and $13.50 and uses 3 Watts, 2900RPM, 12V DC. So if you wanted to you could go buy your own switch from wal-mart or autozone and get a fuse holder and fuse and Wire the fan to the battery.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=kcr0bk%252bxakAXDaGdwFppwg%3 d%3d

Wheelie where did you get those brackets to mount the spal fan.

I really hope this could be an alternative to the spal fans because they are like around $67.95 just for the fan and then you have to buy a fan harness with relay for an additional $40. Thats if you go threw spalusa.com

Now I understand that 08400ex sells the fans I wonder how much they are and how hard is it to get one. And where do you get the brackets for the spal fans?

Please anyone with ideas post them. I really think if we can come together we can really come up with something that is not much money for good airflow across the oil cooler.

X400EX
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Good to know SG1!

Is there any pics of that fan?

SG1
05-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes

http://www.aerco.co.uk/Press_Releases/New+fans+withstand+harsh+conditions.htm

I would like to know where Wheelie or if anyone knows about getting some sort of brackets to mount the fan.:confused:

Wheelie you have a nice bike and I would love to have a spal fan but it seems like they are hard to get from 08400ex and a good bit of money depending on how much 08400ex sells them for and do the brackets come with that spal fan like you have in your pictures above or can you get them somewhere else.

Wheelie
05-07-2008, 07:41 PM
First of all, you do NOT need the relay or harness to install the SPAL fan. A toggle switch rated for 12-15amps is plenty sufficient. Hell, the fan only pulls 1.9 amps, which is less than the headlights pull.

I fabbed up my own mounts for the fan. It takes some time, but it was well worth it in the end. The fan doesn't come with any mounts.

05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
still no one answered my question. How much cooling has this done? Any noticable cooler temperatures or if you have a dipstick how much cooler are you making it? Good way to see how much it does is get your engine or oil to a temperature and let it sit not moving, not running, nothing. Record the time it takes to reach a certain temperature. Then get it back up to the same temp it was before and now let it sit but ith the fan on ad record how long it takes for it to cool witht he fan on. Compare the times and that will tell you how much it really does for cooling. If anyone with temperature stickers or oil temperature dipsticks that has the fan that test would be great to let us all know how much it does.

Wheelie
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
still no one answered my question. How much cooling has this done? Any noticable cooler temperatures or if you have a dipstick how much cooler are you making it? Good way to see how much it does is get your engine or oil to a temperature and let it sit not moving, not running, nothing. Record the time it takes to reach a certain temperature. Then get it back up to the same temp it was before and now let it sit but ith the fan on ad record how long it takes for it to cool witht he fan on. Compare the times and that will tell you how much it really does for cooling. If anyone with temperature stickers or oil temperature dipsticks that has the fan that test would be great to let us all know how much it does.

Buy a fan, install it. Buy a temp dipstick and let us know the results.;)

It makes a very noticable difference in temps. Trust me. I'll borrow a heat gun one of these days and post the results.

05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Buy a fan, install it. Buy a temp dipstick and let us know the results.;)

It makes a very noticable difference in temps. Trust me. I'll borrow a heat gun one of these days and post the results.

sounds good to me if you care to loan me some cash lol

SG1
05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Wheelie
The mounting brackets look great. I wasn't sure if you needed the wiring harness or not. Would you be willing to make those brackets and sell them. Universal Brackets I guess would be the best like longer brackets from the bolt so you can drill your own holes and also a universal top bracket. I am sure if you started to sell them many people would buy them. Cause right now I don't see a way of mounting any kind of fan without brackets like yours. And how much would you sell the brackets for.

Wheelie
05-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I toyed with the idea of mass producing a mount setup as I was mounting the fan up, but I never followed through with it. My mount setup is a one-off, it would be pretty time consuming to reproduce.

I'll give it some thought though.

SG1
05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Universal Brackets I guess would be the best like longer brackets from the bolt of the fan before the bend in the metal so you can drill your own holes and also a universal top bracket. I would sell it for around $30 to $40. Just my estimation.
But they really look great and after the word gets around that a fan will lower your oil temp. I think that those brackets will come in handy. You could probably make some good money off it. Really all you have to do is bend small pieces of metal and let the people drill there own holes and the top bracket shouldn't be that hard to mass produce it you make yourself some kinda jig to make many of them. I can't see how the top bolts up but it doesn't look all that involved from what I can see.

SG1
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
What I am really hoping to do is put the ADDA Waterproof fan on Wheelie's brackets and see how that mounts up and works.

http://www.aerco.co.uk/Fans__Adda_Adda+AQ+IP+series+DC+Fans.htm

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=kcr0bk%252bxakAXDaGdwFppwg%3 d%3d

Wheelie
05-07-2008, 09:24 PM
The second fan listed only moves 49cfm. FWIW--The 4" SPAL fan moves 124cfm.

X400EX
05-08-2008, 06:57 AM
I would also like to have that SPAL fan... Is 08400EX is the only guy we can get it from? I've sent him a PM several weeks ago with no response yet... :ermm:

REPOMAN
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
i called him yesterday and he got online. if he hasnt responded then he didnt get the pm

SG1
05-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Well I didn't look at the CFM on the fan I had proposed I guess right now the Spal fan is the one to go with. So 08400ex how much do you sell them for?