PDA

View Full Version : Replacing axle on 250ex

88 zilla
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I bought my son a 2006 250ex and only problem it has is a bent axle. I have the new axle on order and would like to know how hard is it to replace and what seals, if any, need to be replaced. Thank you for any help as I have never have worked on a quad with shaft drive.

ryanh250ex
05-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by hurley#4
hey, i have a 2002 250ex...and just got a new axle. i tried it myself, because i new how to replace normal axles. its whole new ballgame. its pretty complicated, your better off just bringing it to your local shop that HAS done them before.dont bring it to the shops where they havnt ...

It's not that hard. I did it alone, never having previously done an axle swap. My swap worked out just fine.

Assuming the '06 is the same as my '02, it's pretty simple. I had the Honda manual to help me out. You will likely find that it is more time-consuming than difficult.

rescuescrub
05-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Its no big deal.ONly thing that was hard was the castle nuts. Had to use a friends impact to get them off. Also honda calls for "special" wrench to get the axle nuts off next to the brake drum. We just used a pipe wrench. just use it with care so you dont bugar up the niuts.. hope this helps....

rescuescrub
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
One other thing . We use an antiseize on the bolts that will be exposed to the elements. it makes it soooo easier down the road. Also using "die-electric" grease on all the electrical connections helps...Just got my procom and gooped the plugs b4 connnecting them...hope this helps