View Full Version : Any thing else I could do?

kawi_rider_97
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
So I just got my kfx finished a few days ago and I've already raced a few of my buddys. One of them had a real nice z470 and I beat the crap outta that but then my other friend has an 08 yfz450 with a pipe and the airbox lid off and he beat me by a little more than a quad length. So basically I was wonderin if there might be anything else I could do to get a little more outta my quad? It alreay has a 440 kit with a 13:1 piston, Hot Cams, 39mm Fcr, Pro-circuit t-4 exhaust, lid off, UNI filter, and a 13th sprocket. I was thinkin about goin down to a 12th front sprocket and a +2000 rev box, do you think that would do it? or is there anything else better? thanks.

cataway
05-04-2008, 04:58 AM
go with a dynatek cdi ,it does more than just giving you more rpm's.
the 12 is going to hurt your top end

ceofuller
05-04-2008, 05:31 AM
First thing I would say is your buddy needs to tune his 470.:D

kawi_rider_97
05-04-2008, 08:34 AM
the guy with the 470 didnt have an fcr so I think thats prolly why I got him, But I was lookin at the rev max adjustable RevBox cause it improves your timing curve as well as give you the higher limit. but you think the 12th would actually hurt me more than help? cause I'm about matched in top speed I just don't have quite enough pull to the top to be able to stay past him.

NRPkfx400
05-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Stick with the 13 tooth, 12 teeth is really going to take your top end down. As for the over rev go for it.

bigdaddychaz251
05-05-2008, 04:04 PM
hey bro... i run a DVX with a 453 kit, and you can read the rest of my mods out of my signature, but i run a 15/40 gearing, which the last time i shopped for gears was the highest(top-end) gearing i could get, and i have a 13, and a 14 tooth front sprocket, but only put the 13 on my bike when i wanna play around, you know, just roostin, wheelies, etc. i will absolutely rape a 450 unless they are modded out, but if they are just power kitted (K&N,Jets, & full Exhaust.) then i havent had one even come close, i actually havent been beat yet, but i give them credit because nobody where i live has really modded out a new 450... so i am not going to say they can't beat me, as i don't know yet... but your buddy definetely needs to work with his 470 a little more, because he should be ripping your pants off when he leaves your other buddy with the 450 at the starting line. im sorry, i guess i rambled a little, but the point i was tryin to make, is that the other guys on here telling you to run a 13 tooth sprocket, are absolutely correct, i didnt know they made a 12T but it would just not do your top-end any justice at all. when i put my first 15/40 set on, i couldn't even hit the rev limiter in 4th gear. and 5th was basically cruise control. that was when i just had my bike power-kitted. now i have much more work done, and my 15/40 is what i use, simply for top-end, and i can pull 2nd gear starts for a 1/4 mile track, and if i drag a 1/8 mile, then i move to the 13t and pull 3rd gear starts. 2 little teeth make a lot more of a difference than you would expect!

Iliketogofast
05-06-2008, 06:23 AM

bigdaddychaz251
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
well, not sure how that helps this guys question... but that motor is pretty nice... for a ring-dinger...lol

zracer16
05-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Get the head ported/polished, but make sure you get it done by someone who really knows what there doing. Also might want to think about an airbox eliminator kit, like one from ESR. I raced at the EDT nationals and was on the back row in the main and got to the first turn in 5th and there were 10 quads in front of me on the starting line. There were a total of 19 quads and I was the only 400, well 435 actually. I ended up 5th.