PDA

View Full Version : reeds

s_pfingsten
05-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I hope somebody has some advice for me. LT 80 won't start. I checked compression got about 10lbs. So i pulled the head off checked the piston,rings, and cylinder. They looked great. i only have about 40 hours on new piston rings and fresh hone. I'm thinking maybe the reeds are stuck open. I hope somebody can help.

miniquad
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Spin the bike over and see if you have suction at carb or pressure blowing back at your hand that will tell you if your reeds are good or bad. Also check to see if the exhaust is clogged loosen the exhaust and see if will fire good luck.

s_pfingsten
05-04-2008, 02:07 AM
I went ahead and bought some Boysen reeds off bikebandit. I'm not sure would I get suction at the carb. If the cylinder has no compression really to speak of? I do appreciate the advice though.

neveready
05-04-2008, 07:02 AM
the reeds will not make you loose compression. Although if bad and bent open or chipped will make it hard to start. your uncorrected compression is what is measured on the gauge after the piston has passed all of the ports. If the exhaust was clogged it would read higher compression due to this being the highest port in the cylinder. Although this too would make it not start. when you check compression how many times are you kicking it and are you holding the throttle wide open? on these small engines espescially if they have high port timing require alot of fast kicks to reach max compression on the gauge. Keep trying asking and reading these forums are loaded with good peolpe and info.