PDA

View Full Version : Swapping over to a LRD Aluminum Frame, ??

badquad
05-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Well I have been sitting on this for a few weeks, but I need some advise.

I am swapping all my parts from my 86 over to a LRD Aluminum Attitude MX frame. The frame is a 88/89 No Link.

I am having some difficulty with the exhaust, gas tank, rear shock, rear fender latch mechanism, and radiator.

I have a Roll Design Swing arm, with a Axis rear shock, but it seems to sit real low. I am not sure if the shock spring needs to be adjusted. The swing arm/shock is a no link set up.

My Exhaust is a LRD setup. I can't get it to fit between the frame rails, I can get in about half way, then it gets wedge from both sides of the frame.

I can't bolt down my tank on the bottom side, and my seat latch can not bolt to the frame? No mounting holes!
The radiator cap can not be opened when the radiator is bolted in. The cap hits the frame rail? Do I need a after market radiator?

I am also looking for some nerfbars/pegs for the frame.

I will post some pics of the swap once I get them on my computer.

Thanks for ears.

MB

250Renvy
05-03-2008, 01:51 PM
All of your problems seem to stem from the fact you are going from an 86 to an 88/89. If you were to change over to a stock frame you'd have these same problems.

You'll need to upgrade to 88/89 style of the following:

Pipe - most 86 pipes are different I'm not sure what but they are.
Radiator
Seat/Latch or go with aftermarket
Footpegs
Rearshock/linkage - does not apply here
Front motor mounts I believe are different.
Intake boot - to airbox.

The gas tank - I'm not sure they are all the same as far as I know.

badquad
05-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I am looking into buying the ESR pipe/motor mounts this summer. I guess I will be looking of the oversized radiator for a 88/89. When I started this project, I thought the motor mounts, and pegs were the only parts that did not swap over.

I guess there is more. Thanks.

MB

05-04-2008, 07:11 PM
As far as the rear end sitting too low, just adjust your preload on the rear shock to raise the rear end up a bit. You'll notice the shaft of the shock is threaded. Turn the large nuts down a little bit until it sits where you want it to. Keep us posted.

woodsracer144
05-04-2008, 07:26 PM
have any pic's of that stuff?

dustinshuler
05-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I dont think changing radiators will fix your problem. I think you have to cut off one of the ears on the cap and it should work just fine. The problem is not really the diff in year models it is that the tubing is just bigger on the LRD frame. The pipe thing should be as simple as calling LRD they can help. The seat latch I would have to agree with 250Renvy just put a 50.00 omf aftermarket seat latch. Remember this frame was made for serious racers so alot of stock stuff wont fit like the seat latch. As far as the swingarm goes I think I remember the no link was different from the LRD/LEAGER and a Roll Design diff angle? Lastly if you will go to the show off your 250r style hybrid section of this site on page 7 you will see the guys LRD frame with the rotax cyl, if you will look it seems he has had problems with his gas tank ,again because the frame tubes are so much bigger. I would simply suggest making some longer brackets. I hope this can be some help to you. Let us know and post pics.

badquad
05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks.

I will try and take some pics today. I will have to ask the wife if I can borrow her camera. (:

MB

badquad
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Here are some pictures. Does this look to low? For a no-link set up.

badquad
05-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Here is one of the cap. It is closed right now, but when I go to open the ear does get stuck under the tube.

badquad
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Here is one next to the 400EX

badquad
05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
The tank picture. I took the brackets off the tank, they were sitting on the tube, and not where the bolts are for the bracket for the head. I might have to fab me up some brackets for this.

deathman53
05-06-2008, 07:20 PM
that 250r looks way too low, remember it will lower even more once you sit on it also. I was told, you want the rear(under the foot pegs) to be 1/4-1/2" lower than the front. This is with the rider and all his/her gear on sitting on the bike. My freind had a lrd frame, he had alot of fitment problems, the pipe, gas tank, radiator, and airbox. Dumb question, is that roll no-link swingarm the one thats for stock frames? If it is, that could affect the valving and ride height of the stock.

TheNewn
05-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Have you looked into calling LRD and asking them about these issues? I know there is someone on here with one of those frames that could probably help you out...

Jerry Prokop
05-07-2008, 08:15 AM
I have Bill Ballances 03 LRD R. It has a custom radiator and walsh swingarm. I really can't help you there because I don't know who built the radiator but I can post a few pics if that helps. The trick for the LRD or CT PV pipe is to disconnect the lower ball joint from the a-arm and the upper shock mount bolt and with the lower a-arm dropped down and the upper raised up you can fish the pipe right in. The CT mid pipe you don't have to mess with any of that. With the gas tank there is a bracket that mounts to the tank and you have to make a bracket to go to the head. If the front of the tank is mouned and the plastics are on the strap holds it down pretty good. Another good trick is on the parts of frame stuff rubs on put a bead of silicone down first otherwise you can rub flat stops or even holes in the frame.

brokenbones
05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
whats the length of your rear shock if it came off a 86 stocker i dont think its the right shock as far as the radiator my old lrd had the same issue is this the updated lrd or the first generation

my 2 cents

badquad
05-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I am not sure what year the frame is. I believe my rear shock length was 17 inch. I am not home now, and won't be for the summer, so I will not get a chance to do any work to the quad until August.

I will keep in touch with everyone on this subject as I take notes and get things organized for when I get back home.

Thanks.