PDA

View Full Version : Blow-off valve question

yfzrider45
05-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I've thought they only work on standards but some guy said they work on automatics as well....And of course you have to have a turbo, I just wanna no if a blow-off valve will work on a automatic lol.....

Nick110
05-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Yes.

What car is it goin on? VW?

yfzrider45
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
No, its funny you say that becasue me and my brother both shared a jetta up until yesterday....But its gunna be on a 95-99 mitsubishi eclipse GSX!!! i just wanted to make sure a blowoff will work on an automatic....i never knew it could!! thanks

07trx400ex
05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah man, the BOV has nothing to do with the transmission. Look around, you can get some that don't make a noise or one that is RFL.

If you are installing it yourself, make sure you install it after the MAF sensor so it does not cause the ECU to read a rich condition, due to the releasing excess air into the environment instead of pushing it back into the intake (like a CBV would).

The US spec Evo's shared alot of components with the Eclipse GSX's.

yfzrider45
05-03-2008, 03:45 PM
What's the loudest one out there?? i wanna make sure EVERYONE here's this thing.....and i'm gunna take off my muffler and run it straight after my cat converter after i register it:p

07trx400ex
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Turbo XS makes a RFL. It can get quite annoying though. Especially on dates when girls tell you that something is wrong with your car.

You also need to be careful to match the diameter of your piping to the amount of boost and characteristics of your turbo. I would look @ 2.0" for a stock turbo.

Loud pipes on turbos do not sound that great, besides when you pass people you want make sure they here that thing whining, not just obnoxious exhaust.

Be careful with that thing man.

Remember to take your need for speed out on a track or set up an autocross.

yfzrider45
05-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought it'd work perfect, becasue when you hit the throttle its loud, then when you let go it should quite down right away, then as i let go the blow-off valve should sound then back to the loud exhuast....with the jetta it gets quite as soon as we let go of the gas....i'm looking into a Greddy type r....

asleepz
05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by 07trx400ex

If you are installing it yourself, make sure you install it after the MAF sensor so it does not cause the ECU to read a rich condition, due to the releasing excess air into the environment instead of pushing it back into the intake (like a CBV would).

Just to clarify this a bit... If you're going to run it open, it's going to run rich, and every time you let off the gas (since your running auto) it'll load up with fuel a bit and you'll probably run into a little black smoke. My 300ZX running around town will gargle a little bit after shifts, and I've even heard stories of engines dieing, but I've never had that big of a problem. And honestly running at WOT I can't tell. Do it right and run a recirculated system. I haven't had the drive to recirculate mine knowing I've got a lot of new pipe and an intercooler to mock up soon.

Oh, and my 3" downpipe with a side exit off my GT35R sounds quite smooth and diesel turbo like :)

Kickstarts-suck
05-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by yfzrider45
What's the loudest one out there?? i wanna make sure EVERYONE here's this thing.....and i'm gunna take off my muffler and run it straight after my cat converter after i register it:p

O GOD.....

:p

yfzrider45
05-04-2008, 06:56 AM
ust to clarify this a bit... If you're going to run it open, it's going to run rich, and every time you let off the gas (since your running auto) it'll load up with fuel a bit and you'll probably run into a little black smoke. My 300ZX running around town will gargle a little bit after shifts, and I've even heard stories of engines dieing, but I've never had that big of a problem. And honestly running at WOT I can't tell. Do it right and run a recirculated system. I haven't had the drive to recirculate mine knowing I've got a lot of new pipe and an intercooler to mock up soon.

does the standard have the same gargling/black some problem?? or ....and BTW i'm gettn a greddy RS BOV for sure!!

asleepz
05-04-2008, 01:42 PM
It'll be more predominant in a standard vehicle during regular driving. Since when driving a automatic you don't let off during shifts, therefore the BOV won't open