PDA

View Full Version : Help, quad is leaning

ohsobad_chevy
05-03-2008, 09:59 AM
After returning from our dune trip, I noticed that my quad was leaning. From the first glance, I thought it might of been a faulty front shock, so I changed the shocks around and it leaned the same way. From another glance, it appears to me it is something in the rear of the quad.
Kind of hard to tell in the pics, but if you look closely, you can see that it is leaning to the right. I have checked everything that I can think of and can not find the culprit. Any help is greatly appriciated.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00336.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/ohsobad_chevy/DSC00335.jpg

JR3
05-03-2008, 10:30 AM
subframe bent ? strip it down and take a look

ohsobad_chevy
05-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Subframe is okay.....thats the first thing I looked at. It is not just the top portion of the quad that is leaning, it is the whole thing. Anyone else have any ideas.....please help.

trx400EXtreme
05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
could a tweaked swingarm cause that?

monte433
05-03-2008, 02:09 PM
From the pic it looks like its leaning from the front of the swingarm foward, I would look to see if the front of the swingarm hasn't twisted or see if the shock mounts in the right front haven't bent upward.

JR3
05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
are ur carrier bearings okay i had a 400ex and after a race it was leaning like a inch but not that extreme. i picked up the rear of the quad and the swingarm moved up like 2 inces then hit the axle.

ohsobad_chevy
05-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by JR3
are ur carrier bearings okay i had a 400ex and after a race it was leaning like a inch but not that extreme. i picked up the rear of the quad and the swingarm moved up like 2 inces then hit the axle.

Carrier bearings are good, I will pull the swinger off and look, it is a possibility that it is tweaked. I am 99% sure that the problem is in the rear end of the quad. I have pretty much checked everything in the front end. :confused: :confused:

ohsobad_chevy
05-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Anyone else have any ideas.......please help!! :confused:

JR3
05-04-2008, 01:02 PM
pick up the grab bar go up and down and side to side is there anything clanking around or feels loose.

ohsobad_chevy
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by JR3
pick up the grab bar go up and down and side to side is there anything clanking around or feels loose.

Are you talking about carrier bearings or pivot bushings/bearings?

I actually have done that and there was no obvious "slop" but who knows. I think it is actually tweaked just a little lower on the right (brake) side.

Keep the ideas coming, I am trying to find the time to get out to the garage to get the swinger off. But as I have stated previously, I have pretty much omitted everything else, so it has to be the swingarm. :ermm:

This swinger took some pretty hard abuse, so it was not a manufacturing error, it was just rode hard, finally causing it to tweak.
The next one will be made of 4130 chromoly, fully gusseted and beafed up so it will not bend.