PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FOR DRR HELP (rear shock)

aimo007
05-03-2008, 06:30 AM
I have 2008 drx 90 , looking for rear shock son weights 100lbs and we are racing state champion series and he already bent one swing arm because i over tighten chain to make up for slack when he sits on it i moved chain tenisioner to were apex is located helped out some but i think all problem in in rear shock please help we race againsnt 8 or 9 apex mx pro quadsand our drr and we still took both holeshots but had to pull off in 1st moto then second moto still toke holeshot with bent swing arm and had to slow down because of chain so lose. I know we can win series with this machine (90 Intermedate we run pee wee track)I know only with some help from you guys (not alot off money left in my pockets cheaper tips the better) thanks to all Ill let you know how we do in freelin. GO DRR

forgiven
05-03-2008, 06:40 AM
what kind of shape is your original shock in? I might have a stiffer shock for trade.

Pic of your shock to forgiven@mchsi.com please

neveready
05-03-2008, 06:52 AM
If you have the round style swinger and your bike is less than 6mo. old DRR will replace it with the new style square tube swinger to end that issue. At 100lbs there are some stiffer stock options but they are way too stiff for the rough fast straight runs. I know money is tight with everyone these days but at this weight the best option would be the DC long travel swinger and a dual rate elka rear shock. The upper soft spring controls the lighter stuff while sitting and going fast and the lower stiffer keeps the landings softer. this setup also helps lower the rear ride height and correct the frame geometry. you can go with the stock fronts for awile. Also try the ZTR chain tensioner, it will let you run the chain a little looser without loosing it. There is alot of good info and helpful people on this forum, give em a chance and they'll get you fixed up

forgiven
05-03-2008, 07:40 AM
If you have about 1000 bucks or so. This guy was asking for cheaper solutions.

neveready
05-03-2008, 08:11 AM
What a way to prove some intelligence on solving someones problem by replying to a post with something like this.:grr: I just gave my opinion to try to help, my opinion may not be the best but it is an opinion. I did also include that their are many other helpful people on here with other or hopefully better options. As if you know by now NOTHING in mini quad racing is cheap. You get what you pay for. And to be corrected $1000. won't get it :p

Marshred
05-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Neverready,
Your suggestion is exactly what I did to my son's ride. I added the +2 swing-arm and an Elka fully adjustable shock. It is soooo much better than stock! I want to get the Elka front shocks now...
Oh, and you are right, $1000.00 won't do it !!!:ermm:
It goes on and on.......

neveready
05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Well we have over 6 years in mini quad racing, and have been through many quads,parts and set-ups. We have two boys now racing and run a business selling mini quad parts and accessories. One thing I use is personal experience, I would never sell or reccommend something I wouldn't use. Our experience has proven that once the riders reach this 100lb. mark an aftermarket setup is the only way to stay comfortable and competitive. It does not have to be the DC or the Elkas, just an upgrade from what is there. It is evident the stock swinger won't work unless you have the square tube style, and the shock will bottom out and cause frame breaking issues, then it is a matter of safety and you'll wish you had spent the money. I am speaking for the DRR, I have not experienced the Apex first hand but one of our new supported riders has a 07 90 and likes the stock set-up at 80lbs.

aimo007
05-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks I hoping DRR will give a new square style thanks for info what about rear shock what would you buy if you had square stlye stock swing arm and will other tenisioner bolt right on. I pulled out stuffing in silenser made it louder but i dont know if it helped anyone experimented with this should i put it back drr l/c 90cc

Nichols Atvs
05-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes Put it back in

neveready
05-04-2008, 08:08 PM
We have had good results with they elka shocks on stock 90 square swingers. Although The travel is a little short for a 100lb agressive rider. I know there are other companies such as fox and motowoz who also make a great shock for the minis. If you are referring to the ZTR tensioner, yes it bolts right on but does bolt on a little different especially on the square tube than what you have now. Check with your dealer to see about getting the other swingarm they should be able to make that happen for you.