PDA

View Full Version : looking for shocks really need your input!

yellow400ex05
05-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm on a budget and I did save up enough money for triple rate TCS's but I would've been called crazy and been broke had I bought them, and now I have a feeling that If I went with Works shocks I'd be stuck with them and that they are lower quality aftermarket shocks and they don't come valved for your weight.

I don't usually go the cheap route but are there any other shocks that are not above like 650, I'm afraid that I'll be dis-satisfied with works and I've ridden on TCS on a z400 and PEP on a 250r and also Elka on a c-dale.

I really want to race and the number one thing I want are front shocks. I'm going to race MX.

05-02-2008, 09:16 PM
i have works std travels non adjustable right now with +2 arms and i am actually pretty satisfied with them. might be because i've never ridden on anything better though =/

bradley300
05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
works are valved within about 30 lbs of your weight, elka and custom axis are more like 15, thats why they are so much better.

IMO, i would go with HLS on the front, and a rebuild on the rear

JR3
05-03-2008, 06:55 AM
just save up and look in the for sale section i was selling a set of long travel tripple rate custom axis with remote rezzys rebound and comp adjust for 500 shipped and thats for a yfz. jut save up and buy a used lt front end

bradley300
05-03-2008, 09:35 AM
the only problem with buying used shocks is there is onlya snowballs chance in hell of finding them set up for you. if you need a revalve then your whole point of saving a bunch of money is pretty well blown

JR3
05-03-2008, 10:27 AM
most of the used shocks u see are valved for 180-200 pound rider. how much do you weigh?

yellow400ex05
05-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I weigh a lot less than that.. bradley300 what do you mean by HLS?

I weigh around like 120lbs not sure what the lowest valving weight is anyway, you can see the reason I have trouble with my stockers as
I'm not really heavy enough to get much absorption to begin with.. I'm sure the shocks I've ridden were at least valved above the 130 mark and I thought they were a dream to ride on lol.

How low do they go on weight valving?

I'm mainly focused on the front shocks my rear is fine for now..

trx400EXtreme
05-03-2008, 12:42 PM
PEP race series shocks are 650. i have them on my EX and love them. they dont have all the adjustments like alot of other shocks do, but if your on a budget, they're awesome. HLS is a new brand of shock. GTthunder and HMF teamed up and made HLS. they are supposed to be top of the line shocks.

yellow400ex05
05-03-2008, 12:48 PM
do they get valved for your weight?

how are they compared to stockers?

trx400EXtreme
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
which ones? the PEP's are the HLS? well, anyway the PEP's are great. the valve them for your weight, riding style, tire size, etc.... compared to stock, they are heaven. especially for a light person. i weigh like 145 and my stock ones just weren't cutting it. with these, i can actually take corners fast without bicycling. i highly recomend them. if your an all out racer i'm not sure if they will be what you need. but if you just ride for fun, hit the track every once and a while, ride dunes.... these are sweet. when ever i first rode with these, i felt so much more confident. i can definately tell they made me faster.

yellow400ex05
05-03-2008, 01:15 PM
sorry i meant PEP's

they look good!
well I'm just going to be racing MX and being competitive not planning on going pro.

trx400EXtreme
05-03-2008, 01:47 PM
they should work great. PEP reccomends them for play riding and C & B class amateur racing. it's 650 for remote rezzies and 760 for piggybacks.

yellow400ex05
05-03-2008, 01:54 PM
well then.... I think I'm gonna get these!

where'd ya order them from?
how long did it take to ship?

what are the features of them?

and why is it more for the piggybacks?

trx400EXtreme
05-03-2008, 02:02 PM
i ordered them from SF racing. talk to Seth. he's a great guy to do business with. all i can say is be prepared to wait a little bit. they build them from scratch so it takes quite a while. it took mine 7 weeks but we ordered them around christmas time. it's not Sf racings fault it takes so long, it's PEP's fault. there is only one guys (wayne) who builds the shocks. also i thing derisi racing carrys them. piggybacks are more expensive because they eliminate exposed lines, but honestly it's no big deal. features... this is what Sf racing site says."All shocks are custom built from the information we ask when ordering. They are our entry level high performane shocks with easy spring fine tuning, low maintenance and non adjustable external damping. Internally they have competition proven bump sensitive damping with the stages tuned to work with the triple rate springs and crossovers for superior response to small, medium and large bumps. The top two springs have adjustable crossover rings for finetuning. Preload is also adjustable. They have gas remote reservoirs for consistent damping and control. They are pre-set and generally will not need to be adjusted but can be if desired with use of the set-up and fine tunning explanation sheets.

Recommended for "B" and "C" class amateur racing and play riding.

$650.00= PAIR FRONT REMOTE REZZIE
$760.00= PIGGYBACK VERSION"