PDA

View Full Version : REAL newbie looking for information

mgh
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi All,

I have test rode a total of three quads. A 2004 Kodiak 400, a used 2006 Kodiak 400, and a new 2007 KG 450.

The KQ was the winner by a mile, even though those are the only quads I have ever been on.

Maybe this is not the right place to ask this question, if you can point me to a better place to post, please do so.

I am wondering how a UTV like the Yamaha Rhino does in comparison to a utility quad. Any limitations one way or the other? Things the KQ can do that the Rhino can not do, or vis-versa?

Or are they just too different to compare?

Thanks for any opinions.

olsmokey
05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
where do you plan on riding
what kind of work are you going to do
what is your bugtet
these are things we need to know before we can help give us info

mgh
05-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I will not be doing much, if any work. It will be used for trail riding and exploring in the mountains mainly. Some rock and sand, but mainly mountain riding.

As for budget, that is a tough one. I had hoped to find a nice handling used ATV for $3000. It seems that may be difficult or impossible to do. The less expensive machine I rode was quite a lot more difficult to steer, didn't ride very nice and so on.

Wondering if would be better to wait until I can afford a newer machine, or buy an older one to see how much fun I can have, knowing that it has limitations.

firefighterjosh
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
You wont be able to find a UTV for that much. I dont even think you could find a smaller UTV for that.

Check out www.nyrocatv.com for lots of KIng quad info;)

cglester
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I have a 5oo quadmaster and a 07 450 rhino. As far as leisurely riding around and taking my time, comfort, and cargo space goes the rhino is the way to go. It is a little tougher to get through some of the trails though, because of the length and width. I will say that the rhino will definately go anywhere the 4x4 will. With the differential lock engaged, the thing will climb a freaking tree if you can get a tire on it. I am 30 yrs old and if i go by myself, i like my 500. The rhino just seems too much like riding in a jeep, and iam not 4 wheeling.

mgh
07-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I ended up with a used ATV, and it was the best decision for me. All but one trail I have been on I would not have been able to take a UTV because of the extra width.

Now, if I had the budget I would love to have one of each!

Thanks for the help here.