PDA

View Full Version : Axle wear and tear...should I use it?

kiesta00
05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a 2+2 durablue that I've been using, and a friend of mine gave me a stock 250r to use for dragging because its shorter in width. The only problem is the stock axle sits in the carrier, and unless I put pressure on the axle, it spins freely inside of the carrier without turning the carrier bearings. The carrier bearings do turn once I put force on the axle (simulating the bike actually being on the ground with tires). There is some super slight up and down movement of the axle inside the carrier.

Should I use the stock axle which is shorter or just keep my wider durablue axle that fits snugly inside the carrier? Could the loose stock axle possibly damage my carrier?

Thanks

deathman53
05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
isn't a durablue axle adjustable? Why not move the hubs and spacers? or even easier, reverse the rims so the offset sits inside making the atv narrower? I do this on my atc200x, I have a +4 83/84 atc250r axle installed, when I go woods riding, I reverse the offest so its toward the inside, making it ~45" wide. Flipping the rims the other way, its almost 50" wide. Simple and cheap.

my88r
05-02-2008, 08:45 PM
is flipping the rims. okay for the rims and tires.etc i thought i read its not a good thing to do. i could be wrong though.....

deathman53
05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
if you are using stock rims, no, its not a good thing to do. Most aftermarket rims don't use tapered lug nuts. Some brands of rims(specificly hyper) aren't good to flip as they have a recess where the lug nut goes. Most aluminuim rims are flat on both sides, so they are perfectly safe to flip around.

my88r
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
how about these itp rims?

chris46250r
05-02-2008, 09:37 PM
You can also take the wheel and hub off together and put that on backwards to make it narrow. Atleast you can with stock hubs.

kiesta00
05-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I already do that, and its still pretty wide lol. I was just curious about taking a chance with the stock axle.

xlr810
05-04-2008, 11:52 PM
a stock axle would be fine for drag racing. But, don't use that one. There is no good way to take up the space between the axle and the carrier bearings. The rear end will constantly come loose on you.

86 Quad R
05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
agree'd!! if you are to use a stock axel make sure its one that doesnt have the slack that yours has. i'd get one thats snugg or you could have that one welded up and machined back to spec.

and if you arent already doing so..... i'd consider getting a taper carrier setup. ;)