PDA

View Full Version : HiPer vs. Douglas?

bushwesl
05-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Are HiPer wheels really that much better compared to conventional aluminum wheels (Douglas)? Are there really any weight savings? I'm looking at wheels and was wondering if the HiPers were all that they were cracked up to be, or if they are just the the new fad. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Any insight here would be appreciated.

deathman53
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
hypers are well worth the money, for one, they don't bend, dent or damage near as easy as the toughest aluminuim rim you can buy. Almost every part of them is replacable also. The beadlocks(if you buy those versions) make tire changing very easy. Dual beadlocks make tire changes especailly easy, no/very little wresting with the tire to get it over the rim beads, as is the hardest part of changing atv tires.

I have bent some rims after using them on mx and xc use. Using a set of hypers, I hit a tree in 3rd gear and taco'd the axle, but didn't hurt the hyper rim. Almost any other rim, I would have bent the rim and axle. You will wonder how you ever did without hypers after you get them(the cost is alittle hard the swallow), however they are almost as much, maybe cheaper than some aluminuim beadlock rims. One set of hypers(integrated hub 250r spline) has been around since 03, mx raced for 2 years, 2 axles bent and easily 10-15 sets of tires put on. They are still like new, not many aluminuim rims can say that.