PDA

View Full Version : 250r exhaust volumes

paul_700
05-02-2008, 07:48 AM
I have a 310r mid range ported with 38mm air stryker. Its set up to mx right now but I have some play ride areas that are starting to complain about noise. I wanna quiet her down a little just so I can continue to ride there.
-Does the headpipe/expansion chamber effect the noise level that much or is it strictly the silencer that controls volume?
-What are some of the better quieter silencers or full systems for the R that I can throw on when I go play riding?

Buttermilk
05-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't really know how the volume of the expansion chamber effects noise (never measured with a meter...).

On my 250R, I've ran the Sparks TT pipe, the ESR5 pipe and the ESR11 centermount pipe. Noise levels are close on all three, with the 11 perhaps the louder of the three, but not by much, if any. I've never measured the noise levels so it's really hard to say...

I do think the volume of the silencer plays the biggest role in dampening the noise. Perhaps you can try to find a larger (one that has more volume overall) silencer and see how that works.

I have a friend that has a ESR5 pipe and runs a FMF Powercore II silencer and his exhaust is quieter than mine was when I ran the ESR5 pipe with ESR silencer.

Regards,

Rog

Witz
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM
As far the exhaust goes, there is some resonance from the expansion chamber, but the silencer plays the biggest role. The FMF Turbine Core 2 works well to quiet things down. I've run them with Paul Turner and LRD pipes. On my 350PV motor, I'm using a Cascade CSFX big volume silencer with an LRD big bore pipe. The can is longer than most and is also 4.5" or 5" in diameter. With that silencer I can hear more noise from the intake and from the expansion chamber, than I do from the silencer. It really quiets things down. The downfall is price. I think it was around $200 when I bought it 4 years ago, plus you have to fabricate the intake pipe on the silencer. Cascade claims there are too many combinations on the 250R, so they let you do the fitment of the silencer inlet.

Beyond the exhaust system, the other thing that makes a great deal of noise is the air intake, if the airbox lid is off.