PDA

View Full Version : Please clarify on wheel offset

04'400ex'er
05-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I am confused on how to tell the offset of a front wheel. I am trying to get some deep dish fronts, Wheels which will be wider on the outside and more narrow on the inside which will show more of the caliper.

My question is: on a 3:2 offset, does it mead 3in on the outside of the wheel, 2in on the inside of the wheel? If so, then a 4:1 offset would be as wide of a wheel you could buy, leaving only 1in on the inside?

Or is it the reverse, with a 3:2 offset meaning 3in on the inside and 3in on the outside?

This has perplexed me for sometime and I want to get it cleared up. I like the look of the deep dish fronts, and want to get a set of them for my bike. Just got to figure out what to order!

Thanks ahead for the replies and sorry for the dumb***** question.

Honda5
05-02-2008, 05:04 AM
4:1 will be 4inches to the inside 1 to the outside
3:2 will be 3inches to the inside 2 to the outside
I think you can still buy ITP T-9 wheels with a 2:3 offset that will make you the widest but keep in mind that it will change the way the steering feels and handles.

Dupontster
05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Honda5
4:1 will be 4inches to the inside 1 to the outside
3:2 will be 3inches to the inside 2 to the outside
I think you can still buy ITP T-9 wheels with a 2:3 offset that will make you the widest but keep in mind that it will change the way the steering feels and handles.

Got a deal on a set if you want them...:D

04'400ex'er
05-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the reply, I had pretty much figured that out after looking into it some more and comparing with pictures. I hate the 3:2 offset or 4:1 offset that most of the ITP T9's come with on the front. That is what I have on my sand tires and IMO they look like chit compared to a previous set of Douglas I had which were at least 2:3 if not 4:1 (if they even made these). I just think the deep dish fronts look so much better.

What are the disadvantages of having the wider offset front wheel, as far as the steering and handling aspect, and will a quad still meet the legal width with 2:3 on +2 arms?

Thanks for all of the help and shoot me a pm on what ya have Duponster, I'm pretty set on what I where I want to go with this but I would like to see what you have first. Thanks alot!

400exrider707
05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
2:3 will offer worse handling, 4:1 is the best handling wheel combo.