PDA

View Full Version : How fun is the sand?

ib2strokin
05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
ive never had a chance to ride any dunes or anything, but i always hear about how awesome it is to ride in sand. We have a sand bar around here( when the river goes back down) so i may have to go check it out sometime. Fill me in on what makes sand fun to ride!!!!!

two85atc250r's
05-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I didn't ride sand until I was 21 and haven't rode anything else for the past 9 yrs. I grew up riding but never got to ride dunes. For me at least, I was hooked from the first time I played in the sand. It is not just simply the sand that makes it fun, it's the dunes. I don't neccessarily like to ride flat sand unless we are dragging, but the feeling of climbing straight up the back side of a 75 or 100 foot dune is like no other riding experience. Riding wheelies across the ridges and then dropping off the steep back side and just opening it up. The ride is so smooth it almost feels like your on water sometimes, riding waves. Two strokes it seems are taylor made for riding dunes, the power band is perfect for the loose traction. My machine keeps paddles on it year round and I'll travel hours just to find dunes. I know alot if people who are the same way, for a lot of us riding in the sand is the only way to go.

wilkin250r
05-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Try this, it might give you some perspective.

First off, very few rocks, ruts, holes, exposed roots, ect. That's not the main appeal, but it does make the overall experience a little more enjoyable.

But more importantly, next time you're riding, stop a moment a look around. Imagine how much fun you could have if every square inch around you was ridable terrain.

That little ridge over there would make an awesome jump.

I could climb straight up that mountain, and down the back side.

That bowl over there would be cool to carve though.

A little rise here, a little valley there, a HUGE sweeping hillside. Cool, cool, and more cool.

It's not necessarily the sand that makes it cool, it's the fact that there isn't anything else BUT sand. No rocks, no bushes, no trees. 100% rideable terrain.

troybilt
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by ib2strokin
ive never had a chance to ride any dunes or anything, but i always hear about how awesome it is to ride in sand. We have a sand bar around here( when the river goes back down) so i may have to go check it out sometime. Fill me in on what makes sand fun to ride!!!!!

1b2strokin,

If you are in Arkansas, you aren't that far from Little Sahara, Waynoka OK. There's no way to describe it, just do it. I've been going down there since the 80's. I love it, I pretty much don't ride anything but the dunes. That's where the 2 strokes really shine.
Best thing for me is going along in 3 or 4 gear about half throttle flying over a shallow rise in the dunes, nothing else around, then blip the throttle and allow the powerband to float the front end up, while pitching a 30-40 foot roost behind. :D

two85atc250r's
05-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I am planning a trip to Little Sahara like the first weekend in June. I can't wait. How is it this year? Anybody been out there lately? I'm telling you 2strokin, it would be well worth the drive over from arkansas to get your first real dune riding experience. Hope to see you there!

troybilt
05-02-2008, 07:50 AM
I was there a month ago or so, the weekend before Snake hunt, and it was PACKED, cold and windy. We had reserved campsites which, I recommend. I know there was a few accidents that weekend... :(

I'm planning to go in a couple of weeks, if I can get my RZR fixed for the fiance.

I'll try to post some pics. We have a huge group of 250R's that all ride together. 8 of us, ...I think.

two85atc250r's
05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Do you actually come all the way down from NY? It's only about 3.5 hours from my house. How do you reserve campsites? Is there a number on their website or something? I definately want to know I have a spot before I get there.

troybilt
05-02-2008, 08:30 AM
...that's Manhattan, KS... LOL. It's about 4.5 hours from here and about 2.5 hours from my parents house.

Little Sahara Camping Reservations (http://www.lspsonline.com/cgi-bin/campsite_select.cgi)

cobradaler
05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
im only about 2 hours form little sahara, but ive got some freinds from conway arkansas, and they try to make atleast 2to3 trips a year up to ls ok. its worth the trip.

ib2strokin
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Well the thing that got me on the subject was one of my ridin buddies mentioned a trip to Little Sahara. I really wanna go now! I would like to find out when you guys are goin so we could all meet up! What are the most important things I need to get my quad ready?

two85atc250r's
05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
You need to make sure you have a whip first of all with a flag on the end of it that is orange or red. You may want to bring a couple 'cause first time sand riders usually break 'em.

If you want to spend more you can get one that is breakaway that won't break as easy. I usually just buy the $10 ones and just take two or three.

You also need front and rear lights if you want to do any riding after the sun goes down. This is a must, riding sand at night is something you don't want to miss.

You will want a set of paddles but I think you can rent them at Little Sahara if you don't have them. Last I heard it was around $50 bucks for the weekend for a set. Knobby tires will work too you just might get frustrated with it not hooking up.

If you have a K&N filter you might want an Outerwear for it.

Other than that bring some extra plugs and that's about it.

We are planning a trip like the first weekend in June, I would say if you are just gonna get a tent site you want to be there no later than Thursday evening on any given weekend. If you are bringing an RV you definately want to reserve ahead of time.

Dune fees are like $7 a day, tent sites are $8.

Hope you get the chance to come over, you'll fall in love with the place. You may very well never want to ride anywhere else.

www.waynoka.com if you have any other questions.

ib2strokin
05-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the info!

what brand paddles are good for all-around riding?

how much is the race fuel at the park?

ib2strokin
05-03-2008, 08:49 AM
I live in the most North Eastern part of Arkansas possible, I can be in Missouri or Tennessee in 10 min. I did mapquest to Waynoka and its 638 miles! 9 hrs. and 40 min.!!

How long do you guys stay when you go?

If we make the trip, i wanna atleast stay 3 nights to make it worth it.

450rJam
05-03-2008, 09:13 AM
WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

riding dunes are VERY addictive....................

check for sale section or craigslist for used paddles
(you may as well buy some now, you will be back)

bring camera, you will want to post some later

do put on a pre-filter, the quartz sand at little sahara is really fine

you can buy a flag with the spring down there for around 20 bucks (mine have lasted through several rolls)

im going down last week of may

weekends are usually busy, some of the best riding of my life has
been during the week............after the wind blows the sand smooth...............like no one has ever been there................

so much fun to carve a dune with no tracks, so smooth, just let the motor scream

two85atc250r's
05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I'll second that, it's very addictive. Don't go unless you want to spend the next 6 months fatasizing about sand and buying sand toys for your ride. lol.

We usually try to get there no later than Thurday about 5 p.m. Time to set up camp and go on your first ride about the time the sun goes down. We always stay until Sunday about 5 so we are usually worn out and ready to go. I have stayed longer but for me 3 days and nights is about the ideal. Any longer and I start wanting my own shower and bed.

I am only about three hours away so pick a weekend and we could have a atvriders meet. I'll drive up there twice a month in the summer sometimes. See yall in the sand, eatin' roost!