PDA

View Full Version : Race gas - stock motor??

jkiserracing
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
So Im sure this has been asked many times before but let it be asked once more....I have a 450r with a Pro Circuit slip on, K&N filter (No Lid) but stock motor otherwise. Will running race gas or a mixture of 110 and 93 give me any more hp? Will it harm anything? Or will I just be paying over 6 dollars for a gallon that will do the same as the 3.85 per gallon gas. What do you think?

05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Don’t use it. Race gas is “made for high compression engines only”. It’s actually less flammable than normal gas and im not positive but I think it actually burns cooler. Higher the octane the harder it is to ignite. What happens is when you run a high compression piston the compression itself can ignite the gas which is bad for the engine and power.
On a normal engine it’s just a waste of money. Some race gasses are oxygenated which produce O2 as they burn which can add a slight increase in power but on a stock engine its worth less and just a waste of money. 1 gallon of race gas costs about the same as 2 gallons of pump gas. So many people think that race gas creates tons of hp. In a lot of people’s heads they think if they run race gas they will be so much faster when that 10 extra hp they can feel from the race gas is just in their mind. But it smells nice!
I’m not sure if it will actually hurt any thing but you may need to rejet and with out a rejet you could possibly run to hot. I heard of the core in the exhaust getting eaten away but im not sure if that was from race gas or alcohol. And do not run alcohol. Alcohol does add up to 10% more power and a cooler engine but do not do it at less all you do is drag race.

John451
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
The only reason to use higher octane is if it's pinging. The higher the octane the higher resistance to ignition. You really only need it if you increase the compression by alot. I mean if it would make you feel better, go ahead and get super, but i myself wouldnt lower myself to buying race gas just for the heck of it.

blue_ex_rider
05-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Like was stated above higher octane isnt going to give you any more power . I run c12 in my bike but i ahve 13 to 1 compression and nirtous. Now like was said oxygenated fuels willl produce more hp a littlwe that is but your going to ahve to pay for them. VP makes a MR9 that is an 89 octane that is oxynated they also make a U4 and a MS101 borh of those will amke a a couple hp but the will cost bout 11 bucks a gallon and can be hard on engine parts.

05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Normally on a 450cc liquid cooled quad/bike you can even run stock gas on 12.5:1. My yz426 engine was 12.5:1 from factory and used pump gas fine.
Some people even run 13:1 comp fine on pump gas no problem. But after that it’s defiantly mandatory. Cams and altitude can also affect if you need high oct gas. Normally you can use race gas up to 15:1. I heard of VP making race gas good for all the way to 17:1 compression! Normally between 15:1-17:1 you have to start running alcohol.
Most 450s are around 11:1 stock

John451
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Though using the highest octane looks cool in a stock bike because it still burns through the exhaust so it shoots big flames out.

blue_ex_rider
05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Yea VP makes alot of fuels and they all will cost you i cuss everythime I ahve to go buy 5 gallons of c12 for 55 bucks for 5 gallons but that is the price you pay when you build your things out. But if it were me i would do 89 and be doen with it.

05-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by John451
Though using the highest octane looks cool in a stock bike because it still burns through the exhaust so it shoots big flames out.

Well for flames all you have to do is spend $40 on a flame kit. All you do is put a spark plug in the muffler hooked up to a coil and you will keep blowing flames since their is a lot of flame able gas that passes threw the exhaust.
Some times if you run alcohol you will get a blue flame coming out of the exhaust while wide open.

05-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Speaking of gas. Pump gas is getting more and more expensive. Is race gas also? Because I heard of race gas costing low as 3-4 dollars not long ago.

blue_ex_rider
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Depends on what you are running vp sealed gas hasnt really moved up or down either one in the last 2 years

jkiserracing
05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Hey Guys. Thanks for the info. That is just the kind of stuff I was intrested in. So it sounds to me like (at least with my motor) 89-93 pump gas is going to be just as good as trying to come up with a higher octane blend (mixing the 93 and 110) and cost less too. I do plan on doing some work on my motor after this race season, at that point we will talk again but for now this was very helpful. Thanks....