PDA

View Full Version : Breakin period question

HondaRaceReady
05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I've had my 400ex for about a month now and it's still not broken in. The guy at the dealership said go through 3 gas tanks. I went through 2 tanks including reserve. What I don't know is whether he meant ride until the main tank is empty and that is 1 tank, or if he meant drain it completely. I only get to ride for an hour or 2 each night, and fuel goes a real long way on these so I figured I'd find out.

05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
dont skimp on breaking your motor in. I know you probally want to romp on the motor and all but give it time. Let the rings set and if the guy said 3 tanks than go 3 tanks

zrpilot
05-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Within 10 minutes (or maybe less!) of intial start up the rings have seated into the cylinder.

If you have ridden two tanks through it, the most important part of break in is over.

Ride it like you want....

my88r
05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot

Ride it like you want....

yea, you should be fine.

HondaRaceReady
05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
If the rings set in the first ten minutes I probably went too hard on them already. I remember giving it a lot of gas when I was trying to get used to the clutch. It kept stalling so I revved it a little to get it going. No big deal, I'll make it a 416ex if it blows up, anyway thanks for the answers.

zrpilot
05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
If the rings set in the first ten minutes I probably went too hard on them already. I remember giving it a lot of gas when I was trying to get used to the clutch.

Not neccesarily a bad thing....

Read this (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

400ex28
05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
Not neccesarily a bad thing....

Read this (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

I did mine this way a while back and runs like a champ!

zrpilot
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
I did mine this way a while back and runs like a champ!

X2!

HondaRaceReady
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks man. The guy at the dealership told me not to go too slow on it and he told me to variate the throttle and all, I don't know why I felt like I went too hard on it. Sounds exactly like the article.

TRXRacer1
05-02-2008, 05:56 AM
3 tanks is crazy, 3 hours is more like it and that's if you had a new cam installed too.

CarGuy7a
05-02-2008, 10:01 AM
like said before the first 5 or ten minutes of riding the rings are seated and it's broke in.

when i bought mine brand new it would not idle b/c the rings weren't seated yet. my dad (who's built race engines for years) idled it up to about 3,000 rpm and let it run about 5 minutes. you could hear the rpm rise and fall and stumble around a bit, and when it cleaned up and held a steady rpm he said, it's broke in. ever since i've ran it like i stole it with out any problems.

i'm also a firm believer in that article as well. that is exactly how i break in my race engines for my go carts and when we go to freshen up the motor there is virtually no carbon on the sides of the piston around the rings.

UNBROKEN
05-02-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah dont sweat it just drive it only thing i do is dont let it ide long and shut it off perodicaly to let it cool down but its not like a car were we try to get all the miles we can out of it , if we were then we wouldnt rev them out to 8 grand :D and if u havent already change ure oil and filter