PDA

View Full Version : 1st xc race ever

jpfmotors
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
well i just wanted to let you all know that i am about to race my first race, my bike is all set and i have been practicing, the race is this sat in union CT should be a good time i was just wondering if anyone has a suggestions or tips that i should know thanks i hope i do good. http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/jpfmotors/DSC00614.jpg

Benjithx
05-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I am not a racer so take this for what its worth, but everytime I am in a new situation I try to learn from others. The more you pay attention and learn, the faster you will become a better racer.

End of the day goal should always be to have fun! :D

Good luck man, give'em hell

jpfmotors
05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I just love ridden and haveing fun i watch as close as possible to others that are ridden

levi624
05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I just started racing this year so this is what I've learned. Relax you end up going faster. For the first race just try to finish. Tape your hands up even with mine taped I still get bad blisters. Find out where you need to be and when. Get there early so you aren't rushed. Don't be afraid to talk to people most are more then willing to give you a heads up about the track or setup. Don't forget you are there to have fun and don't forget to relax. Hope this helps.

d3ktrix
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by levi624
I just started racing this year so this is what I've learned. Relax you end up going faster. For the first race just try to finish. Tape your hands up even with mine taped I still get bad blisters. Find out where you need to be and when. Get there early so you aren't rushed. Don't be afraid to talk to people most are more then willing to give you a heads up about the track or setup. Don't forget you are there to have fun and don't forget to relax. Hope this helps.

Sounds like you need some better grips :P
You shouldn't be getting blisters with out tape let alone with it.

05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by levi624

Good advice.

Just ride and you will do well. Don't ride over your head. You have to finish in order to do well.

Make sure you have some kind of hydration system.

Good Luck!!

Unverfehrt400ex
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
if ya get time before in the next few days i'd say practice your starts. it's a long race and the starts may not be the most important thing but they sure help

mc_racer
05-02-2008, 06:53 AM
If you get a practice lap, watch what the pro classes do. Take your time, look for problem areas on the track and possible ways around bottle necks. Relax and run you own pace, there's no trophy for winning practice or the first lap.

jpfmotors
05-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys i do run a camel pack and i got to walk some of the track last weekend i think that my biggest problem is that when i get behind someone i get tunnel vision and just follow there lines instead of running my own race. it takes me a bit to get a pass, i guess i have to be paciant and it will come. my other concern is if i haveto gas up it is a 1.5 hr race on a 5 mile course do you think i should make the hole thing or maybe get a little about 5 lapes in, the lap times are about 16-18min

jpfmotors
Thanks guys i do run a camel pack and i got to walk some of the track last weekend i think that my biggest problem is that when i get behind someone i get tunnel vision and just follow there lines instead of running my own race. it takes me a bit to get a pass, i guess i have to be paciant and it will come. my other concern is if i haveto gas up it is a 1.5 hr race on a 5 mile course do you think i should make the hole thing or maybe get a little about 5 lapes in, the lap times are about 16-18min

jpfmotors

jteeter1
if you don't get a good start do not force, it you will get tangle up with hot heads and tear you your bike . The start is important but for XC it long and the hard you ride in the first 15 min you will feel it at about an hour and your good start will slip even if you are in good shape you will lose a lot of energy just from exitement. for the hand comment i have seen top pro with blister after first race in FLA my trick is running with 5lbs weight with a hard hand grips like what is on stock handle bars with not gloveif you do it for a week or 2 it will help with arm pump and your hands. Eat smart , no energy drink you cramp up ,walk track if able to have some family and friends come 2 help.Good Luck

jpfmotors

05-02-2008, 07:33 AM
You should be fine on fuel.

05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
i raced a XC race for my first race and it was a 6 1/2 mile course about 2 hours and i had gas at the end to spare. but it was hell i prefer mx any day lol. Another tip is not to go faster than you are able to because i did and i whacked a number of trees with my handlebars and tore off my hand gaurds.

jpfmotors
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
thanks for all the advice i cant wait to race i will have to let you all know how i do and send some racing pics thanks again

NickG5755
05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
if its muddy..put tape on the ouside of your wheels to keep mud from buildng up...yo will def feel it rolling around in there..

make sure your bike has a tether cord on it or else they prob wont let you race... and rolloff goggles are a good idea too

something i look for when riding behind people is to see if they are locking thier back tires up alot..i find that when they do it alot they arent picking good lines which means you just gotta get it in your head to find you own line!
oh yea.. TINKLE BEFORE THE RACE!! but drink water on the line..dont worry you wont have to pee from the water on the line...youll most likely sweat it out!

good luck and have fun

gotwarrior
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
DO NOT STOP!!!! If there is someone in your way find a way around them, even if it means plowing over a few trees.. and don't ride stupid.. like everyone else said finish..

jpfmotors
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
well i just got home after a full morning of racing it rained all week and yesterday and it even rained for a half hour before the race so yes it was muddy. i did make a couple of stupid mistakes but i think i did ok. i ran a little to hard the first lapand stalled on an up hill rock corner. a lot of people past me by the time i got going but the nerves were gone and i settled down i made up a lot of time googles were a big problem always fogged up temp was a cold 45 about they were fogged for 3/4 the race the rest i did not wear them well i ended up 11 out of 16 not the best but i did finish the hole race so iam happy about it and i will be doing a lot better next race i know. cant wait for the next race already getting ready. thanks for the help

05-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Great Job!!

Now that the fiest race is over you know what to expect.

Man 45 degrees and rain and mud. No thanks.

We raced today also but it was the last race of the season not the first. We race in the winter because it is too hot in the summer. It was very very dusty today and fairly hot at 84 degrees. I almost ended up in a canal because the dusy was so thick. From all the sweat and dust I was all muddy at the end.

levi624
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Great I'm glad you had a good time even though it wasn't in the best conditions. 11th out of 16 is great for your first race.

sammy5x
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Congrats JPF! It was a little cold and muddy but the track held up well. If you need some more pointers feel free to ask. Did you find any pics of yourself at www.thequadbuilder.net

jpfmotors
05-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Sammy5x ya i saw a couple of pics of me its pretty nice see yours ride. i do have a question if you could help. do you press harder on 1 or 2 lap or you last laps and are the lap time the same through the hole race or are the faster laps at the end i felt like i had energy at the end but i need to work on arm pump when i pit i could not even take my own gloves of. that race i rode pretty hard the first lap or two but i dont know if i should pace my self so i can run faster my last to laps compared to my first lap thanks if you have any adivice. i am in good shape so i know i have the body endurance just lots or arm pump need to work on it and advice for that also. man my forearms were killing me. thanks

turbo j
05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
A few things for the arm pump. Make sure you are relaxing your shoulders as much as possible during the ride. I bet you will catch yourself a bunched up in the upper body due to nerves and riding hard etc. Keep a relaxed grip on the bars when you can and get one of those cheap hand squeeze work out things. You can find them at most dollar stores. I do 2 sets of 100 about every other day riding down the highway.

I am glad you posted back how you did. I was hoping you finished as I was reading the first half. Nice job on that and just try to do a little better each time. Ride your own race and have fun. The thing about XC racing is that it is as much you against the track / clock as it is against other riders.

Good Luck!!

05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
To add to what turbo said....

Try to concentrate on breathing properly also. If you pay attention you will catch yourself holding your breath. Your muscles need a lot of oxygen to perform at that level.

jpfmotors
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
thanks for the advice i will trie some of those things nice time i practice i also hope that when i adjusted my suspension it will help. i had way to much preload and not enough compression it was all f-ed up it feels better even just around the yard i hope that will also help with arm pump

out4sand
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Sounds like you did great for your first race. The first XC is always the hardest!
Like everyone else said, be sure to breath when you are riding, it's crazy how much you will find yourself holding your breath. Also, be sure to start drinking extra water a few days before the next race to keep yourself hydrated. Drinking lots the day of the race is not the key. If you find you are still having arm pump, you might try some supplements. I use some by MotoX Nutrition and could not be happier with the results. Many of the other riders I know running the WORCS series have started to use them as well - http://www.motoxnutrition.com If you do find blisters a problem, try dumping some baby power in your gloves before the race. It helps take away the moisture and should help with blisters.
Best of luck on your next race and welcome to the world of fun stupid self abuse called XC racing :D