PDA

View Full Version : Shed?

honda400exrider
11-26-2002, 07:18 PM
My quads gonna be in the shed for a while. So I was wondering if I need to spray wd40 or nething on it (the shed is completely enclosed, no oppenings.) Or do you reccomend that I should just get a car cover or is that not neccessary? Thanx

ny300exrider
11-26-2002, 07:26 PM
ohh noo.....not the .......................SHED!!!!!!!...jk, id lube the parts outside like the chain and stuff just to keep it ok, youll definitly get a better answer than me though hahah. a cover would probly do good too.

honda400exrider
11-26-2002, 08:28 PM
iight thanx, bump

AtvMxRider
11-26-2002, 08:33 PM
It wouldn't hurt anything to just give a spray of wd-40

2K1 300EX
11-26-2002, 08:40 PM
If you are gonna cover just use on ole sheet to throw over it instead of buying a car cover or atv cover.

honda400exrider
11-26-2002, 08:43 PM
yeah thats prob what i would have ended up doing

L.Vegas400
11-27-2002, 03:42 AM
if it were me i would spray every exposed part on the quad with wd-40. this will prevent corrosion and keep rubber parts from drying out so bad. also, close up all your openings to the eng, ie exhaust and air box inlet. mice will love the new home you have created for them, and its rent free. will also keep bugs and such out too. one more thing, put it up on blocks. this way if you have a slow leak and a tire goes flat you wont so much trouble with them.

Texan32
11-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Also, do one of the following. Fill the gas tank to the VERY TOP, or drain it completely. Leaving anything less than a full tank of gas will result in major condensation. If you plan on leaving it for a while, i would just drain the tank.

Steve-o 400EX
11-28-2002, 12:49 PM
If your gunna leave the tank full I would recommend running a little gas stabilizer through it too.

honda400exrider
11-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Texan32 Also, do one of the following. Fill the gas tank to the VERY TOP, or drain it completely. Leaving anything less than a full tank of gas will result in major condensation. If you plan on leaving it for a while, i would just drain the tank.

what does condesation mean? and how does it apply to the quad? thanx

SGA
11-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by honda400exrider
My quads gonna be in the shed for a while.
All of these are good ideas. How long is awhile?

JOEX
11-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by honda400exrider

what does condesation mean? and how does it apply to the quad? thanx
Moisture in the air will form water pellets on the inside of the tank (like the pellets of water on your cold beverage in warm weather:eek: ) and sink to the bottom of the tank. Water is heavier than gas.

Joe

Honda99_300ex
11-29-2002, 10:51 PM
if its gonna be there for a while, drain the gas from the tank and the carb............go out every once and a while and start it up and let it run for a couple minutes to re-charge the battery.....or else youll be getting a new one

Woodsrider
11-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Honda99_300ex
if its gonna be there for a while, drain the gas from the tank and the carb............go out every once and a while and start it up and let it run for a couple minutes to re-charge the battery.....or else youll be getting a new one

how is he gonna start it if he drained all the gas from the tank?
remove the battery and put it up on a shelf in the garage hooked up to a battery-tender.(make sure the charger is compatable with motorcycle batteries)
Just how long are you gonna be storing it? All winter, one month, two, a year?

-=Skot=-
12-01-2002, 09:42 PM
wd-40 is alcohol based product, it will evaporate over time, may also damage your o-rings.

tom400ex
12-03-2002, 10:51 AM
hey is it better to drain out all of the gas or fill it up and mix the gas with a stabilizer?

Texan32
12-03-2002, 11:34 AM
the battery thing is true. If you don't routeenly use a battery, especially in the winter, it could end up taking a dump on ya. A battery tender is a very good investment. It put a VERY small charge on the battery at all times. I think some of the more expensive ones will actually periodically load the battery to simulate normal use. Not completely sure about that.

About the gas tank. It really depends on your situation. How much gas do you have in there now? If its not much, i say just drain it. If you do that though, you will need to do one of three things. 1. ensure the tank is COMPLETELY dry (this means storing it in a warm place)if there is any trace of gas in the tank, condensation will form! 2. seal the tank. If you can get most the gas out, figure out a way to seal the tank air tight. 3. drain it as best you can. When it comes time to fire her up, pour a cup of gas in the tank, shake it up real good and drain it. (hopefully this will rid any moisture)

If your tank is pretty full, i would just drop a little stabolizer in there, top it off and call it good. Others were right though. You need to drain the carb. the easiest way to do so is to turn of the gas knob and let her run till she dies. then, just to be sure, remove the access bolt on the bottom of the carb and drain any left over gas.

Hope this helps

SGA
12-03-2002, 11:50 AM
I got a battery tender from walmart. $20 dollars. It is automatic, when the battery drops, it puts it on trickle charge, when its full, it stops charging. Its a handy gizmo to keep the battery hot. You can use it on cars too.
If you drain the tank, leave the gas cap off and lay a light rag over the tank opening.

skinrider440
12-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

like the pellets of water on your cold beverage in warm weather

do you mean a beer

JUSTINcredible
12-05-2002, 08:56 PM
also if your shed isnt heated and it gets below freezing alot get all 4 wheels off the ground so they dont get flat spots in them

honda400exrider
12-09-2002, 02:58 PM
naa my shed isnt heated, and i took my quad out today, and i have the feeling its gonna continue to keep coming out this winter;) , but thanx for the help.