PDA

View Full Version : Buying used sporttrax 250 need Guidance

tinbndr
05-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Hello all, Been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I sm going to look at a 2003 trx 250 and was hoping to get some advice on what to look for as far as problem areas on this bike?
Don't have any pics but guy is asking 1950 for the bike which is prettymuch stock, I was going to offer 1600 Am I out of line?

300exOH
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
KBB says dealer retail is $1970 and trade in is around $1300 so I would say $1600 is a fair price if it is in average condition or better.

Check out the rear end bearings and rear brakes for issues. Other than that just check it over as you would any used quad. There aren't many major problem areas on the 250ex. Just make sure nothing is bent/broken/loose or leaking.

Edit:- almost forgot...Welcome to the site...

tinbndr
05-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks, I have never bought a quad B4 is there any tell tale sounds to listen for when it starts (rattling valves or anything like that?) Also is there anyway to check engine for abuse look at fluidz etc?

300exOH
05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Since this is your first purchase if possible I would take someone who is familiar with quads to look at the 250. Keep in mind the 250ex has a noisy engine...but it shouldn't sound like it's coming apart. The only fluid you can really check on it is the oil. Make sure it looks clean. You can look at the underside of the quad and tell just how abused they have been most of the time. Check the frame over for and cracks or welded areas. Other than that basically treat it like you were buying a used car....look everything over well..twice if you have any doubts and ask the owner questions. Also if you go to their house to look at the quad...look around you and try to see how well they take care of their other stuff. If everything around you is neat and clean then they may have taken good care of the quad too.

tinbndr
05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the great advice;)
I have a buddy that is more knowledgeable in these things I will see if he can tag along.

300exOH
05-01-2008, 09:54 AM
No problem. It always helps to have another pair of eyes with you even if they don't know quads that well either.

ryanh250ex
05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
250's don't really have any real problems, make sure the valves don't clatter (light ticking is normal of any Honda OHV motor), and make sure the exhaust doesnt billow blue smoke (a little on a cold start up is fine).

300exOH pretty much hit the nail on the head.