PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch Starter Button

mdickerson319
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a mx 300 and I want to do away with the stock on/off switch, light switch. I have a dirt bike kill switch but am wondering what wires I need to hook together to make it work. Could someone please tell me how to wire this thing up?

TRX-330
04-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I wish i knew haha

maddmatt02
05-01-2008, 12:33 AM
from the wiring diagram in the back of my manual, youll need a toggle switch to act as the run switch (I guess if you still have the keyed ignition switch you could just wire them together instead of using a switch, it would always be in run position and youd always have to use the key to kill it)

but the toggle would go between the black (which oddly enough, the black is the + from the battery and the other wire would go to the red wire, which feeds all other switches, and the reverse/neutral switches(black wires from both).

also this wire coming out of the toggle would go to your start button and then the wire coming out of the start button goes to the yellow/red stiped wire.

this is for 93-96, not sure if that means wire colors were changed other years, or what? but this is what my book shows me. I might be able to scan the page and post it for you tomorrow.

bwamos
05-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Correct you need some kind of toggle switch for the on/off Or you can simply connect/disconnect the wires that ran to the keyswitch. However I killed my battery several times that way.. easy to forget to disconnect them when they are out of sight.

As for the kill switch, Just disconnect the toggle kill and hook it to a standard tether kill. The red thumb switch is open in the middle, closed circuit on either end.

Then for the starter button you can use a normally open push button kill switch (like many used on dirtbikes).

You'll also need a 3-pole toggle for the headlights w/ hi/low beam. Or, a standard 2-pole switch if it just on/off like use on trail techs.

I just reqired the switch cluster. The starter and lights stayed as is. Then I rewired the red thumb kill to be my on/off switch. Center off, sides on.

maddmatt02
05-01-2008, 09:35 AM
well, my pos printer only works half the time and now aint one of them, but my book shows open on both sides and closed in the middle...

maybe it will work later

bwamos
05-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Odd... I'll have to open my switch cluster up and take a look at it. As I wired my ignition switch wires in years ago and ON is left & right. OFF is center. Which should make left/right closed center open.

But, that was probably 7-8 years ago.. lol. I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday.
Open on the ends would make sense if they were just cutting the ignition switch wire.

Now you're making me want to dig back in to see what I did.. lol.

maddmatt02
05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
maybe its that we are referring to different switches, your saying ignition, you not talking about the run switch, cuz isnt it run in the middle and either side is off? I dont have this on my quad yet so i cant go check, but thats how I remember it from my sisters 300.

Dirtblast
05-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I took the on/off switch wires and wired them together then took a motorcycle kill switch and wired them into the starter button wires. Works great.

Gus

bwamos
05-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
maybe its that we are referring to different switches, your saying ignition, you not talking about the run switch, cuz isnt it run in the middle and either side is off? I dont have this on my quad yet so i cant go check, but thats how I remember it from my sisters 300.

We're talking about the same switch.

I removed my keyswitch when I changed out my bars/headlight assembly.

I also use a tether kill switch so no need for the thumb kill.

I rewired the keyswitch wires into the thumb kill in order to use that as my on/off. ;) I didn't get a chance to look at how I have it wired in last weekend. Busy weekend after that big storm last week. 138mph recorded winds does nasty things.. lol.

maddmatt02
05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
maybe they went back to 250x wiring in 98?

my book is old so it only shows 93-96 300ex and 250x's and the 250x is open middle, closed on both sides but the 300 ec is open sides closed middle. maybe they went back to open middle on the 97+ 300's