PDA

View Full Version : need help

quad9
04-30-2008, 07:56 AM
this is a 600 griz.

it will idle nice for about 20-30 sec and then it will cough and die. it will start right back up again, and if you let it idle it will do the same thing. i took it trail riding last night and it ran just fine. i just can figure out this idle cough. i have cleaned the carb completly and it found nothing. i put in a new plug and fresh gas last night. the air filter is clean.....
this quad did sit for about 3 years till about 2 months ago.
any ideas?

quad2xtreme
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a gas problem...

one thought is that your gas supply isn't feeding into the float bowl consistently. I always wished the bottom bowl was clear glass or really hard plastic so you could see what was going on.

It is possible that the screen in the gas tank is gummed up. Pull the rubber hose where it feeds into the carb and make sure you have a good flow of gas. Otherwise, I would bet you have an issue with the float level.

quad9
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
i have good flow out of the tank. it got fresh gas last night.
it does not over flow gas out of the lines.
it ran great when i was riding it, and i did everthing from just going real slow in a parking lot. to real reving it hard threw the trails. it climed hills just fine also.

wilkin250r
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I deleted your thread in the open forum. We're not going to play that game. One thread, one section.

Does it still die after you ride it? For example, let's say you start it up, ride it for an hour, and then park it and let it idle WITHOUT shutting off the engine in between. What happens?

Same scenario, ride for an hour, but you DO shut if off, and then start it up right away. Does it still die?

quad9
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
i rode it for about 20 min last night. drove up by the trailer and let it idle. it was fine. i started it up again about 2-3 min later and it did the cough.

wilkin250r
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
What position is the choke in when you do this?

After it coughs and dies, it starts right back up easily? But then it will cough again 20 seconds later? What happens if you do this 5 or 6 times?

quad9
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM
choke is off
starts right back up
if you catch it right when it is going to cough and hit the gas just easy it wont die.
if you have the choke on during warm up it runs fine, just high idle like it should

desertdweller
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM
If you have not done it already. Change the fuel filter run it a while then
change it again. This things beeen sitting for a while right! You might even consider running a little fuel cleaner with your tank of gas.
Just a thought OK:D