PDA

View Full Version : Countershaft stuck???

two85atc250r's
04-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Should the countershaft just slide right out with the main shaft once you split the case? I just got my cases split but I can't pull the gears because the countershaft won't come out. Is there something I am not doing? Once I can get all the tranny out I will be able to replace my bearings and start putting this thing back together. This sight has been absolutely invaluable for my first rebulid experience, I'm almost there! Any advice on how to pull the countershaft and the main shaft would really help, thanks again guys-Matt

skyhighatv
04-30-2008, 03:40 AM
you should be able to pull the whole trans out meshed together how it is after the shift pins/forks are removed if i remember correctly.

two85atc250r's
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I got the shift forks out and the mainshaft feels loose but the countershaft is tight as can be. It doesn't want to pull out. I even tapped on the back side of the countershaft where your sprocket mounts and it still won't budge. I will just be patient and keep trying. That seems to be the key to doing a rebuild--patience. Thanks.

86 Quad R
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
is the corrosion on the countershaft preventing it from pulling through the bearing? ;)

two85atc250r's
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Yep, I'm pretty sure that is the problem. I am just not sure what to do about it. I've been spraying it with penetrating oil but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any tips?

86 Quad R
04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
use some emory cloth on it

two85atc250r's
04-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Upon closer inspection it seems that the sprocket splines on the countershaft have actually cut in to the bearing race. I'm guessing this is why it's stuck to the bearing. Any ideas on what I should do?

86 Quad R
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
how this happen? was the counter shaft already galded up? any way to get the shaft free'd up? :confused:

Aceman
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
how this happen? was the counter shaft already galded up? any way to get the shaft free'd up? :confused:

Maybe from a loose sprocket?

Is there anyway you can press the whole countershaft out, even if it takes the bearing with it? Maybe try filing the countershaft down where it's rough and then try heating the case/bearing with propane torch and see if something will break free. The bearing might actually be easier to remove from the shaft if it comes out together.

atvmxr
04-30-2008, 05:05 PM
:confused: I cant even visualize how the splines would be able to dig into the bearing... anyway, there is an O-ring and metal collar i think have to be removed before the shaft slides easily. that or make sure you pulling the shaft straight out and not at an angle... only help I can offer :ermm:

two85atc250r's
05-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Does the race in the countershaft bearing have notches in it for the sprocket splines or is it supposed to be completely smooth inside? I thought the shaft had dug into the race but the more I look at it the more it looks like it is supposed to be that way. I still don't know what to do because I can't get this countershaft to turn loose so I can pull it out. I have been able to do everything myself and I don't want to have to take it to the shop now.

Aceman
05-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by two85atc250r's
Does the race in the countershaft bearing have notches in it for the sprocket splines or is it supposed to be completely smooth inside? I thought the shaft had dug into the race but the more I look at it the more it looks like it is supposed to be that way.

There is no way the sprocket splines have been rubbing on your countershaft bearing. The bearing is set back inside your case an inch or so where there are no splines. You must be talking about the countershaft spacer, it slides over the countershaft and fills the void between the countershaft and countershaft seal. If you can get ahold of it, it should pull right out of the motor.

two85atc250r's
05-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks Ace, you're right. I think it is the spacer. Does the spacer have to come off from the outside before the countershaft will come out? Does that countershaft bearing go bad very often? It has that seal on the outside so I didn't want to hit it with the torch but I don't know what else to do. Thanks again man.

Aceman
05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Does the spacer have to come off from the outside before the countershaft will come out?

No. But with all the trouble you're having I'd try and remove it just to be sure it's NOT what's keeping the countershaft from coming out. Do what you can to get that spacer out, if you can't grab it due to the seal being in the way, pull the seal out too. Jam a screwdriver in it, run a screw through it, use anything that will help you pry/pull that seal out. Once the seal is out, grabbing that spacer should be much easier.

Does that countershaft bearing go bad very often?

Couldn't tell ya, I've only had my R for a couple years. For what it's worth, last year when I rebuilt it, was the first time the engine had ever been opened.