PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover leak

smorris1
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I noticed today that the top cover of the engine was leaking from the front bolt on the right side. I tried tightning the bolt but it just keeps spinng and isnt tightening. The person I bought it from put a stage 2 cam in and I think he stripped that bolt. Its not leaking really bad but I hate when stuff leaks like that. I have had the bike now for 6 months and it hasnt leaked before and I knew the bolt was like that since I bought it. My question is, should I really worry about it?

BigBore24
04-29-2008, 08:22 PM
yes i would. when you combine a small oil leak with a bunch of dirt sticking to it and the oil burning on the exhuast it drives me crazy. ive had the same problem on mine before. you can either use helicoils in the hole in the head or drill and tap to a slightly larger size. the bolts are 6mm so you can go 1/4" or 7mm but 7mm bolts are hard to find

drew416ex
04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I would fix it becuase that kind of stuff bothers me also. It wont hurt, its just anoying. Oh and if you are looking for the heli coil to fit its a 6X1.0M . Bigbore was right on size I just thought you might need thread count also.

REPOMAN
04-30-2008, 08:14 AM
i had the same problem on a previous motor. i took it down and had a guy melt aluminum in the hole and drill and retap that vs drilling a bigger hole. cost me like 100 bux

smorris1
04-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Alright thanks guys. Its not leaking no where near enough to fall onto my exhaust its just barely coming through the gasket. I think I might just drill it bigger. Hopefully I can find the bolt for it.