View Full Version : Got some bad news today

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
We got some very bad news today ... My Husband Troy lost his job today.
This is very devistating to us all.
We are most likely going to have to sell our pride and joys-our quads....
Im not sure if we will be making anymore of the WORCS series .
The kids are totally devasted right now ,they have been tears this afternoon,not so much about the racing, but for there Dads loss...
IF anyone is intersted in buying any of the quads we own, Ill be putting them up for sale sometime this week.
Im seeking an attorney today ,the *******s ****ed with the wrong person!!!
This might be the incentive we need to get moved out of State like we have been wanting to do for a long time now.

If a miracle happens ,Ill be sure to post.
This really sucks
Please wish us some luck at this point, we are going to need it.

TRX450RACER174
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow i feel for you my wife lost her job and the new one just isn't cutting it, i have not had take any extreme measures yet but i think the boat will come before the quads, good luck miracles work in mysterious god bless.
Erik

APK400exRacer
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Im sorry to hear of this loss! I haven't been around here much but just started comin around again. I went through this when i was 13 (17 now) with my family. My father lost his job that kept my family comfortable. It was rough and still is to this day. My mother ended up getting a job as a Realtor and is doing well now but things are still tight. Keep your head up and don't get down. Things will turn around. Sometimes fast sometimes slow but they will get better!

-Curtis-

Hondamaster5505
04-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Man, thats tough..:(

Sorry to hear about it. If you do end up having to sell the quads, it doesn't mean it will end there. Even if they don't have race quads anymore, im sure you will come across some good deals in the future to get back in the sport.

BTW, I'm almost positive that I saw a letter from your daughter in one of my older Dirtwheels magazines. Im like, hey, that quad looks familiar. Then I looked at the name and it said Kelsey Lugan, lol.

Hondamaster5505
04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Also, forgot to throw in, something similar to that happened to us a while ago.

My dad owns his own business, and times got rough and he wasn't getting much work. He had to sell something to continue, and he was able to choose his Banshee or V65 streetbike.

Well, he sold his precious streetbike. It was a classic, but he said its better to follow one sport than try to do a bunch, plus, this way we can still go riding together.

I still miss that bike:ermm:

redrocker
04-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Good luck I too have been in that boat
It sucks but it will come around good
luck again

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 03:55 PM
If we sell,we will be done. Theres way too much to try and restart over again.
Kelsey is actually doing pretty well in WORCS right now in one of her classes(Top 3) so this was a bummer for her .
Shes actually got the brightest outlook over things right now,Im so damn proud of her. I feel pretty proud as a parent. When I should be thinking of finances right now, Im thinking of them and how they would be affected by not racing .lol
She did send a letter talking thanking her Dad for all he does.
Proud parents we are.

naw0029
04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Im sorry to here, hope things get better but the form of racing that im in (sprint cars) when somone has a hard time keeping things going another team with better funds usually picks them up and keeps them going....could something like that happen for your girl? If you think its possably tell her get some kind of resmue together and start mailing them out....i know thats what i have done and it keeps me in the sport, with what ever happens keep us posted and good luck!

Pappy
04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
that blows Tina!

unfortunatley we know how it is. bridget and i both lost our jobs on feb 11th! if it werent for my nikon and my pc work we would be in a very bad way

Hondamaster5505
04-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
If we sell,we will be done. Theres way too much to try and restart over again.
Kelsey is actually doing pretty well in WORCS right now in one of her classes(Top 3) so this was a bummer for her .
Shes actually got the brightest outlook over things right now,Im so damn proud of her. I feel pretty proud as a parent. When I should be thinking of finances right now, Im thinking of them and how they would be affected by not racing .lol
She did send a letter talking thanking her Dad for all he does.
Proud parents we are.

Well, of course racing would probably be done. That would be very hard to do over again.

As far as being a weekend warrior though, if things pick up in the future you never know. You can still get some cheap 400ex's or something a couple years down the road, and go on family rifing trips. Its not racing, but still fun.

Either way, best of luck goes to you guys.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by naw0029
Im sorry to here, hope things get better but the form of racing that im in (sprint cars) when somone has a hard time keeping things going another team with better funds usually picks them up and keeps them going....could something like that happen for your girl? If you think its possably tell her get some kind of resmue together and start mailing them out....i know thats what i have done and it keeps me in the sport, with what ever happens keep us posted and good luck!
I could never ask... Call it pride maybe but its something we would never do.Actually, both my kids are on a Race Team this year together,its a factory backed Team.
I feel like we are dissapointing our Team as well.The team is an awesome one for sure.
We had nothing but high hopes and future plans some aftermarket companies ,this will make a big set back now for them.
Im going to miss seeing everyone and seeing the Sport grow is really fun to be involved in. Im gonna miss doing Race Coverage too. :(
I wish the housing market wasnt such a mess righgt now,this is not a good time to sell our home and relocate.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Well, of course racing would probably be done. That would be very hard to do over again.

As far as being a weekend warrior though, if things pick up in the future you never know. You can still get some cheap 400ex's or something a couple years down the road, and go on family rifing trips. Its not racing, but still fun.

Either way, best of luck goes to you guys.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I know its sounds silly, but I think it would be hard to start over and not involve racing.
My kids have been racing since they were 5 and 8 years old.
they are 14 and 10 now, so almost half there life they have raced.
Riding is important to us as a family, but Im not gonna lie... Racing is where its at in this house. :p
to ride and not involve racing will take a long time to shake . Things would have to really look brighter in the future to buy all new quads again.
I guess its not impossible, but most likely wont happen.
Maybe my additude is just not really good right now. Im still in a huge shock and were still trying to absorb it all right now.

Bradracer18
04-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Thats tough Tina! I hope the best for you and your family!

Get some rest, recap...and make a plan to better yourselves. Sometimes you have to make cuts, make changes....but don't change the way you/your family is. Follow racing, go if you can....and eventually you will build a bike again. Thats how the privateers do it. I have had very little income, and during those times you pay the bills and save every penny to do what you love to do. Remember, when times get tough, its doing what you love that keeps you alive and allows you to get through the day making a quarter here and there!

I really hope the best for you. Keep in mind, that things happen for a reason! Your kids will probably learn a huge lesson, gain large amounts of respect for their parents....you as parents will probably learn from them too! Never know, something great might come along when you least expect it. Its life. Keep your head up, good people like you guys, will find something great!

04-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by naw0029

You race sprint cars as in like nascar? lol

lorenjr83
04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
I know what you are going thru. I am in the same boat right now. The JMM plant that i had worked at shut down April 16th 2007. I was able to stay on the payroll until August 31st. I live in a town of a little over 1000 people with hardly any jobs and none that would come even close to the 14.35 an hour that i made slacking off for 12 hours a night. I have finally found a job but dont start until next week and the worst part is i will end up paying around 50-60 per week on gas now compared to 20 for a month at my old job. Things will never be the same in my house!

Velocity Girl
04-29-2008, 06:43 PM
So sorry to hear that Tina. Been there a few times myself and it sucks and is scary (but admittedly didn't have 2 legger kids that it effected). You guys are a strong family so I'm sure you'll have what it takes to get thru this.

Stay strong and when you feel like you can't take things on any given day...a bowl of popcorn and a good movie work wonders :)

ZeroLogic
04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm real sorry to hear that Tina! Keep your heads up. Best of luck to ya'll, I'll send a prayer up for you guys tonight.

MOFO
04-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Tina - I'm sorry to hear this! :(

Back in 2004 I was in the same boat... let me tell you this.... when one door closes, another opens. I'm sure you'll find this to be true in no time...

...right now our company is being threatened by a hostile take over - the downside of being a publicly held company I suppose. :grr:

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
Stay strong and when you feel like you can't take things on any given day...a bowl of popcorn and a good movie work wonders :)
Screw popcorn... Im having something I havent had a looonggg time... a nice stiff drink!!:blah:
Might not be the answer, but it smooths the nerves over for a few hours.:o

MY biggest worry is the pay scales are much much lower anywhere else in his field.
Any job is good, but its not if its not enough to pay for the things we already have.
I would absolutely fall apart if I had to sell my home .
Im getting ahead of myself, but its tough to not think about.I just hope happier times comes soon.This has been one hell of a tough year.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by lorenjr83
I know what you are going thru. I am in the same boat right now. The JMM plant that i had worked at shut down April 16th 2007. I was able to stay on the payroll until August 31st. I live in a town of a little over 1000 people with hardly any jobs and none that would come even close to the 14.35 an hour that i made slacking off for 12 hours a night. I have finally found a job but dont start until next week and the worst part is i will end up paying around 50-60 per week on gas now compared to 20 for a month at my old job. Things will never be the same in my house!
We both drive 2 hours round trip to work per day, so I do feel your pain!!:p
MY Husband was making roughly 26.oo per hour, most drivers here making around 10.00-12.00 to Start.He also got O.T. everyweek just about .
If theres one thing Im glad about is that Im the one that carries our Health Insurance for what that useless and expensive coverage seems to be worth these days.:rolleyes:

400exrider707
04-29-2008, 07:47 PM

Im getting ahead of myself, but its tough to not think about.

I say yes to the stiff drink!

You are getting way ahead of yourself. Of course its hard not to think about... I'd be worried if you weren't thinking about it. I'm sure it will work itself out. It's stuff like this that really makes you appreciate what you have though, especially family.:cool:

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I say yes to the stiff drink!

You are getting way ahead of yourself. Of course its hard not to think about... I'd be worried if you weren't thinking about it. I'm sure it will work itself out. It's stuff like this that really makes you appreciate what you have though, especially family.:cool:

Ive had ALOT of hardships in my life, so I am truly greatful for what we do have for sure.
I guess thats one positive of not being born with a silverspoon in my mouth, but Id gladly take the spoon now!! :p

my88r
04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
sorry to hear about this. if you do sell the quads. please still come to atvriders.com. lol dont leave us.

Aceman
04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Screw popcorn... Im having something I havent had a looonggg time... a nice stiff ****!!:blah:

:eek: :eek: Let's try to keep this PG-13...

:p

Seriously though, I wish you guys the best of luck. I couldn't imagine selling out of the one thing you all participate in as a family. On the bright side, it sounds like you have a very understanding family, you'll get through this...

Where were you thinking of moving to?

BlaineKaiser450
04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I'm real sorry to hear that Tina! Keep your heads up. Best of luck to ya'll, I'll send a prayer up for you guys tonight.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
:eek: :eek: Let's try to keep this PG-13...

Seriously though, I wish you guys the best of luck. I couldn't imagine selling out of the one thing you all participate in as a family. On the bright side, it sounds like you have a very understanding family, you'll get through this...

Where were you thinking of moving to?

We have really wanted to move to Wash. State but housing is alot higher there,thats what has set us back frm moving there this year.

Jerry... LOL .... ONLY YOU would post that !:devil:

Quad18star
04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Damn !!!

I wish you and the family the best of luck. Like someone said , when one door closes , another door opens ... and hopefully it's to better and brighter futures. :)

JJs450r
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
sorry to hear this, when i lived at home a few years back my parents were on the same boat, with running there own business it slacked and almost put them in bankrupcy but some how managed to pick up right before it was to happen mircales work all the time just keep your head up and spirits high good luck with everything best wishes

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope God listens to my prayers, Ive done alot of it today.
Troy and I think of ourselves as pretty strong people, Im just not feeling that way today.Everyone is walking around the house in shock and in a fog... kinda like when theres a loss of family I think is the best way to describe it.
My Husband is the best man in the world and works very hard to keep the family happy and is not feeling so much like a good provider at this moment,somewhat of a failure as Im sure alot of Fathers would feel. :( I hope Corp. America is VERY happy with themselves right now!
I am however very determined to keep my kids involved with there racing if thers anyway possible for them when they can .They are great kids with a talent. If I have to pull another job ,I will. Kids need positive things to keep them in check. I dunno why I worry so much about that, but I do-my So moreso I guess because... hes a very "busy Boy'. lol
The last thing to go will be there quads ,we will sell the 450 and one o fthe back up quads 1st and then go from there.
Troys off to scour for work tomorrow and hit the good ole unemployment line:ermm: Hoefully they wont revoke it, some employers will.

Robin Hood
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Best of wishes you guys.

QuadJunkies
04-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by my88r
sorry to hear about this. if you do sell the quads. please still come to atvriders.com. lol dont leave us.
Only time I might not be around is if things get REEEEALLY tight and I have to cut of the Internet temporarily.
WTF would I do w/o my Atvriders...:huh
Ive been on here since 2002,Im not going away that easily. ;)

sly400ex
04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
QJ, I am sorry to hear about this. I lost my job several years ago and unfortunately I know the struggle that comes along with it. You and your family definitely have quite a few positives going for you though. Number one, you have a loving family that is very tight knit and supportive, that will persevere in a time like this. Best of wishes to you and your family. Your family will be in my thoughts!

F-16Guy
04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
....you guys should be able to live pretty comfortably on your Moderator salary, right??:confused: :devil:

dirtmomma
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Dang Tina SOOOOOO sorry to hear this :( but I am hear to say I know where you are coming from, I lost my piddly azzed job just the other day.........................well I quit it for some good reasons, my hubby & I talked for awhile about me doing this I am on the hunt now so we will see how it goes.
The racing SUCKS to have to quit as we had too :( we miss it SOOOOOOOOO much but haven't sold the quads yet, they are the last to go!!! We are in the process now of putting stuff on CL that we just don't need like DJ's old toyota parts haha, along w/ when we moved into our new house I have ALOT of stuff to sell so there is a big yard sale getting ready to start here.
I feel for you guys but you WILL live w/o racing believe we are still alive ;)
YOU SHOULD MOVE UP HERE!!! Yes the housing is more expensive but pay is better I think.
Our 1st outdoor race is this Sat. which is also DJ's 18th BD :Q he soooooooooo wants to race but it just isn't in the budget, sure he works but he also has a car pymt, isurance, & college to pay for we are going to try our hardest to get him to this race w/ some help from the grandparents but I'm not holding my breath this time, he is bummed but I told him there are more races.

Keep your head up & I will say a prayer that things work out for you guys :) tell your kids & Troy to keep thier heads up too it just is a chitty time w/ the economy ect. to try & do anything anymore!!!
Good Luck,Kym

BTW what does/did Troy do for a living?

QuadJunkies
05-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
....you guys should be able to live pretty comfortably on your Moderator salary, right??:confused: :devil:
HAHA!
dirtmomma-
always so good to hear from you!!!
Now here I have been to Wash. 3 times now in the past year and STILL have not met you !!
We LOVE that area, I would REEEALLLY love to head that way, its just that its fairly expensive to live there ,thats the hang up right now.
WEll... We have ONE possible job lead, but it sends us to Arizona. Im just not sure how we could afford to make the move since its costs to move . We have a freind who is our neighbor crunching numbers on our home so we can prepare for the worse case scenerio... I just feel so ikky right now ....So much to absorb all at once.

Im going to hit the pavement hard and shoot as much locally at the MX as I can until things pick up to make a few $$.
I hope I dont have to ditch my Cameras, I would be really crushed . :(

Troy worked for Sysco Foods as a driver .He has been a driver for around 16 years. Thats where we are really in a bind.. finding a driver job making that kind of pay is very tough if not impossible to find.
One of his good freinds at work said that he knows they had been setting up to let Troy go for some time now and also thinks we should try and fight this with a labor attorney. We are in a right to work state, so I dunno how that would even be possible:confused:
Most of the attorneys Ive talked to so far are else not in that field of law, or they want BOOKOO $$$ upfront to take a stab at the case.
Tell that young man Happy Birthday for me!! :)
I hope things get better for you as well.

dirtmomma
05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
YES I KNOW(been up here & haven't met yet) it will happen I'm sure haha
Lots of driving jobs up here from what I see in the paper, Arizona :Q yep that would be a spendy move! Any move would probably be spendy though :( but not so much up this way.

Hang in there girl it WILL get better!!! Just keep taking those awesome pics & keep yer head up :)

Regular_Joe
05-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I live on the NY/PA border. There are two companies similar to SYSCO that are both hiring drivers. Willow Run says something about a $5k signing bonus for relocation.

http://www.maines.net/
http://www.willowrunfoods.com/site/

If this is something that ends up panning out or that you might end up considering, let me know. I can help you find a place, show you around, etc.

QuadJunkies
05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
I live on the NY/PA border. There are two companies similar to SYSCO that are both hiring drivers. Willow Run says something about a $5k signing bonus for relocation.

http://www.maines.net/
http://www.willowrunfoods.com/site/

If this is something that ends up panning out or that you might end up considering, let me know. I can help you find a place, show you around, etc.

Would be cool to relocate closer to some East Coating racing :D
I coudnt afford to move clear across the US though. I cant even imagine the price of fuel to get there alone:eek2:
I appreciate you looking into it though,thanks!:)

Regular_Joe
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Maines has openings in Illinois too. But I just looked at a map. I need to re-learn US geometry. I didn't realize Idaho was so far west. I thought it was in the Iowa region.

Quad18star
05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Nows your chance to head north .... become Alberta, Canada bound. ;)

Not only will he find a job , he'll have multiple companies waiting for you to get of the car asking you if you want to work and asking how much you want to make.

There are so many jobs available and not enough people , that donut shops are paying their counter people over $17/hr . I've got friends working out there doing various jobs and they all make well over $45/hr. Oh and it's the only province to GIVE their people money because the province has making HUGE profits. When you're in southern Alberta , you're no further away from any of the racing states than if you were in the top part of a northern state. 6 hours from ALberta and you're in Northern part of California. ;)

QuadJunkies
05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Nows your chance to head north .... become Alberta, Canada bound. ;)

Not only will he find a job , he'll have multiple companies waiting for you to get of the car asking you if you want to work and asking how much you want to make.

There are so many jobs available and not enough people , that donut shops are paying their counter people over $17/hr . I've got friends working out there doing various jobs and they all make well over $45/hr. Oh and it's the only province to GIVE their people money because the province has making HUGE profits. When you're in southern Alberta , you're no further away from any of the racing states than if you were in the top part of a northern state. 6 hours from ALberta and you're in Northern part of California. ;)
Isnt it pretty expensive t olive in Canada though?

juanki
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
Maines has openings in Illinois too. But I just looked at a map. I need to re-learn US geometry. I didn't realize Idaho was so far west. I thought it was in the Iowa region. geometry

US gemoetry...lol

sorry to read this, hope all the best for you and your family.

if you move to az, will be next my beatifull state. where the desert meets the ocean.

gbcap
05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I never want to see any hard working person loose thier job. but when it comes to job cuts (which alot of people are dealing with now) they are always going to prune the ones that are making the most doing the same job as those making less. why are you getting a lawyer? were they unlawfully terminating his job? or a layoff?

i always see ads for truck drivers making over 50k around here. is it that bad out there?

the employer has very little say in the unemployment pay feild. the only thing an employer can do is suggest against it for one reason or another. if they fired the employee for something legit and harmful to the company they will normally side with the company. if its just a normal lay off they will normally side with the employee. apply for it as soon as possible.

QuadJunkies
05-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
I never want to see any hard working person loose thier job. but when it comes to job cuts (which alot of people are dealing with now) they are always going to prune the ones that are making the most doing the same job as those making less. why are you getting a lawyer? were they unlawfully terminating his job? or a layoff?

i always see ads for truck drivers making over 50k around here. is it that bad out there?

the employer has very little say in the unemployment pay feild. the only thing an employer can do is suggest against it for one reason or another. if they fired the employee for something legit and harmful to the company they will normally side with the company. if its just a normal lay off they will normally side with the employee. apply for it as soon as possible.
The situation was due to wrongful termination,he was not laid off. he has got numerous calls from coworkers that were in total shock and said that now that its happened ,some of the things that the Corp. guys have stated and done were wrong and he was def. set up.
There is almost a 100% chance that nothing can be done, I talked to several attorneys today that said working in a righg to work state makes it impossible to do anything to an employer unless it violates your constitutional rights,which they have actually done in the past , but nothing that can be acted on now.
I had a feeling thats what they would say .
I hate this State and have for a long time..Ime native here and IVe seen not alot of positives here the past few years... Wages are crap here cost of living is OK,but nothing impressive by any means. If there is opportunity to get out, we will.The kids hate it here too,not to mention, not much kids to hang with that are locally involved in riding or racing. We have held off really getting aggressive waiting for the kids to finish out ther schooling becasue I diidnt want to uproot them somewhere new,especially with Kelseys 1st year of High school happening in the fall. But they said they are all for it,so I guess that wont be an issue.
I called and asked for a copy of his personal files today, and I guess we have to get a supena(sp?) to even be able to do that.
I dont trust the M.F'ckers . He has a flawless work history. I hope this helps him with finding something else soon.
Hes hit alot of places in the past two days, thers just nothing really going on out here right now,so he just keeps looking everywhere we can think of.

Its times like this that really tells you who your true freinds are and WOW...I feel pretty fortunate to know there is so many people pulling for Troy right now. Hes had the phone ring non stop for people trying to find him leads here.

Is it bad out here..?? YES.
Your lucky to find a driver (also depends on what kind) for roughly 35,000 a year. Thats just about half of what he made before.Several Companies such a UPS or FedEx you have to start off as a temp or part time in docks or in the warehouse.Its a start, but not enough to keep us afloat.

Quad18star
05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Isnt it pretty expensive t olive in Canada though?

Not really.

I mean gas prices are pretty much the same in both countries now .... the Canadian dollar is at par with the US greenback ( and sometimes worth more) these days.

If you want to live in the big cities , well then you'll pay the big city prices like any other part of the world ... but if you live in the smaller towns it's not that expensive. I work part time and my girlfriend works part time since we're both finishing up college and university .. yet we can still afford to live in a house ( not an appartment), pay our bills , own a car , pay loans and put food on the table every week ... and trust me we ain't making a whole hell of a lot per month. If we were out west in ALberta , we'd be even better off.

I'm not sure what kind of taxes your state has , but out west you're probably looking at around 12% or so on the things you buy. Of that 12% , 5% is set by the Federal government ... so no matter where you live in Canada you'll pay 5% on certain items you buy ..... the other % is set by the province that you live in ... it varies from province to province. Alberta is BOOMING .. and like I said , it was the only province last year to send cheques out to EVERY ONE of it's citizens .. didn't matter if you were 9 or 90 ...because the province had a surplus. In fact it's the only province that DOESN't have a debt.

You might think that the Taxes are high , but when you factor in that you get money back from the government ( not including money received from filling taxes at year's end) , free health care ( money in your pocket from not having to pay into private insurance) ... you're no worse off than anywhere else.

Plus Alberta has some of the nicest country around ..... you're only hours away from the mountains if you want to go skiing in mid July or if you live in Calgary , you're minutes away from the morocross tracks. Blackfoot Motosports in downtown Calgary has a motocross track in it's backyard . Imagine that ... city with a few million people and an MX track downtown . ;)

Quad18star
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Tina ... take a look at this . This is from the Job Bank .. basically a website run by the Canadian government that allows companies to post jobs they have available.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/

Click the link , click English ( unless you know French .. your preference really ;) ) , click Job Search, click Alberta. On this page under "Select your Job Category" , click "Trades, Transport, Construction" .

You'll see a list of available jobs , some showing salaries , some don't. I found one for " Fuel Oil Truck Driver". Wage .. $3800-$4200 monthly plus all sorts of benefits .. 42 hrs a week.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/ShowJob_en.aspx?OrderNum=3668728&Source=JobPosting&ProvId=09&Category=7*&Sources=JobBank,Government&Student=No

Take a look and browse around ... you'll be quite surprised.

wilkin250r
05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
That sucks, Tina. Best wishes on the outcome.

I would offer to look locally, but you don't want to move here. This is a really beautiful area, but the cost of living is ridiculous here. A 3-bedroom home is almost half a million!

wilkin250r
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Not really.

I mean gas prices are pretty much the same in both countries now .... the Canadian dollar is at par with the US greenback ( and sometimes worth more) these days.

If you want to live in the big cities ...

Yeah, but then you would be Canadian :ermm:

:macho :devil: :p

Quad18star
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Yeah, but then you would be Canadian :ermm:
:macho :devil: :p

Hell she'd be close enough to the US border she could still hop across for those god awful donuts you guys have from Dunkin' Donuts..... but we'd convert her over to some Tim Hortons in no time . ;)

dirtmomma
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Dang maybe WE should move to Alberta ;) LOL sounds like you guys have it pretty good up there!!

Here in WA state YES our taxes are ridicoulous(sp:o) gas prices are too but aren't they EVERYWHERE :mad:

my hubby has been kind of looking to get out of the roofing business(24yrs) as it is starting to take a toll on his body but it's hard to find something to keep us afloat w/ the wages ect.

Quad18star
05-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Dang maybe WE should move to Alberta ;) LOL sounds like you guys have it pretty good up there!!

Here in WA state YES our taxes are ridicoulous(sp:o) gas prices are too but aren't they EVERYWHERE :mad:

my hubby has been kind of looking to get out of the roofing business(24yrs) as it is starting to take a toll on his body but it's hard to find something to keep us afloat w/ the wages ect.

LOL .

Just think of it this way ... when gas prices go UP , the wages in Alberta go UP ....... it's a province that runs because of the oil sands. Right now trades people are in HUGE demand ... especially carpenters , roofers , brick layers , etc because they can't keep up with the housing demand.

The fastest growing city in Canada is in Alberta ( because of the oil) .... the 2nd fastest growing city is my hometown ( because of the mining industry boom). Take your pick ... oil industry or mining industry .... both come with cold winters. :blah:

QuadJunkies
05-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey DM,
Troy got a few calls from some of the riders in Wa. looking for some possibilies, so its not completly out of the picture!:)
MY biggest problem right now with moving is the housing slump has us to where we have lost our @ S S and are most likely upside down in it .People are giving away there homes right now .
WOW.. We keep trying to fin some kind of positive is this whole thing and ways to make things better, but seems like every road is blocked right now.:(

TheJaspMan
05-02-2008, 04:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles Tina. I hope all goes well in the end.

AtvMxRider
05-02-2008, 04:58 AM

Jerry... LOL .... ONLY YOU would post that !:devil:

:eek2: :devil: Tina I just saw this thread. I haven't been on here much lately. I am so sorry to hear about this. I am in the trucking industry so I know how hard it is getting. I wish you guys luck. If you need to talk just pm me ok.;)

QuadJunkies
05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Troys got 2 interviews next week.
Less money, but its a start!!:macho

QuadJunkies
05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
:eek2: :devil: Tina I just saw this thread. I haven't been on here much lately. I am so sorry to hear about this. I am in the trucking industry so I know how hard it is getting. I wish you guys luck. If you need to talk just pm me ok.;)
Jerry, what kind of driving do you do?
I know that with rising fuel costs, the surcharges are going up in transportation,which is understandable....
This was one way that the Company that Troy worked for is trying to eliminate its fuel increases by hiring drivers for less money and are weeding out the Senior drivers to pass on the savings to there customers, I can also understand that in some ways, but not the way they are handling it .Some of these Corp. guys really needs to figure out how to use there degrees and find a way to budget money better. I see that happening all the time even where I work.
Its weird because Im hearing ALOT about job cuts-hiring and firing for the same reasons this past week
The world is getting scary .:ermm:

my88r
05-03-2008, 01:01 PM
[B
hiring drivers for less money and are weeding out the Senior drivers.
[/B]

i think theres going to be alot of this. the senior guys are the ones you want working for you. atleast in my eyes.

Hondamaster5505
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i think theres going to be alot of this. the senior guys are the ones you want working for you. atleast in my eyes.

Exactly.

My grandpa drive a truck too. He's a really hard worker and always has been his whole life.

Well, before he actually became a trucker, at the interview the guy just thought he was too old and declined him. He had an interview with a younger guy right after.
Well, it ends up the younger guy was lazy as hell and he lost the job. He called my grandpa and asked if he still wanted it.

He took it, and now they are good friends. His boss even admits that hes the best driver out of everyone else, lol.

AtvMxRider
05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Jerry, what kind of driving do you do?

I am not a driver I am a mechanic for a trucking company.

wvspeedfreak
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Tina,sorry to hear that.Keep your chin up,I'm sure something will work out.Like someone said...when one door closes another one opens.

Velocity Girl
05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Less money, but its a start!!:macho

Good news about the interviews. Even if stuff doesn't pan out, getting the practice again of interviewing is always good for the next one you go on.

Keeping our fingers crossed for you guys.

Robin Hood
05-04-2008, 12:03 AM
trying to eliminate its fuel increases by hiring drivers for less money and are weeding out the Senior drivers to pass on the savings to there customers, I can also understand that in some ways, but not the way they are handling it .

Over by me, the trucking companies are hiring Illegals by the dozen for that same reason. 8 out of every 10 trucks that pass by are driven by illegals. I live next to a deli that the truckers stop at, and they had to hire a spanish-speaking woman to cater to the illegals because that's the just how business has been lately. :ermm:

wilkin250r
05-04-2008, 02:16 AM
I am not a driver I am a mechanic for a trucking company.

Yeah, they don't trust Jerry to actually be out there on his own, away from direct supervision. :devil:

Giz400ex
05-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Less money, but its a start!!:macho My theory is things happen for reason. Usually, when something like that happens, something better comes along. Really, I can't count on how many times someone says " That was the best thing that happened to me". What I've learned is things like this make families EVEN stronger and I agree that money is a good thing but its not everything to make your home, work and family a great place to be. Whatever happens, I am sure your family will benefit from it in a big way!:D

QuadJunkies
05-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
and I agree that money is a good thing but its not everything to make your home, work and family a great place to be. Whatever happens, I am sure your family will benefit from it in a big way!:D
Its not everything, but it def. puts a great deal of stress and strain on everyone right now. lol
I can deal with just about anything aside of something happeneing to my family or losing anything we have worked very hard for over the years.Times are going to be tough for abit, and this damn economy isnt going to help matters any .

If you know anyone looking for a nice quad, we have Troys up for sale in the Honda section.

Mr. Big Time
05-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Tina was just checking out your awesome coverage and found this. I am so sorry times are definately hard right now. I saw some posts where you talked about maybe moving up here but the expense is so much, have you thought about Troy getting a job up here while you and the kids stay there and continue working and finish school while he gets established and you work on selling your home? I checked out Monster.com and there are a lot of trucking jobs available,like England in Tacoma and Iron Mt. in Kent, United rentals in Vancouver and Ferrellgas in Lacey. We are pretty far away from everything where we are but if I can help at all please let me know.

Cheryl

QuadJunkies
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Big Time
Hi Tina was just checking out your awesome coverage and found this. I am so sorry times are definately hard right now. I saw some posts where you talked about maybe moving up here but the expense is so much, have you thought about Troy getting a job up here while you and the kids stay there and continue working and finish school while he gets established and you work on selling your home? I checked out Monster.com and there are a lot of trucking jobs available,like England in Tacoma and Iron Mt. in Kent, United rentals in Vancouver and Ferrellgas in Lacey. We are pretty far away from everything where we are but if I can help at all please let me know.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl!!
Everything has been so overwhelming this past week, he isnt too sure where the good places are to check in Wa. but I did look a little while I was on Craigslist,but nothing looked to great.We wuld love to come up,I know Kelsey would jump on the opportunity!!! :D
I would have no problem having him leave us behind if need be to get things figured out and then send for us later,Brandon would have a tough time with it,but we are tough so we can handle it.
Troy has a chance at FedEx,he applied today and they sound promising, its just a huge cut in pay though.

troyleepred719
05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Tina,

Check out INDEED.com Its government funded job website. With everythign on it. Its where I found my job, that I jsut lost, so i am in your boat also.

Ps. Tell troy that he needs to sight in the guns, Kelsey Is turning into a little spitfire just like her mother.

Hope to help, Josh

QuadJunkies
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by troyleepred719
Tina,

Check out INDEED.com Its government funded job website. With everythign on it. Its where I found my job, that I jsut lost, so i am in your boat also.

Ps. Tell troy that he needs to sight in the guns, Kelsey Is turning into a little spitfire just like her mother.

Hope to help, Josh

haha! well... I just hope she has as much FIRE in her as I do to keep them boyz in line! :blah: :macho

Thanks Josh ,I hope you get a new job soon as well!

QuadJunkies
05-10-2008, 01:15 AM
We got a little glimmer of hope..
Troy has an Interview with FedEx on Monday. :)
Also think we might have a buyer for his 450r too. :(
He got his Tankers and Hazmat and passed that, so hes fully endorsed in just about everything he will ever need.
In the meantime, Im looking seriously in the upcoming months of relocating and were leaning on moving South. I cant imagine not having 4 season of weather ,that will take some getting used to.
We really want to and locate somewhat cenrtal to the racing scene so we dont have to drive so far. Looking at S. Arizona or
So. Cal -I just dont know if housing is affordable there.Gosh, I dont even know where to begin! lol
:scary:
Were sorta torn as we love the trees and we wont have that South,we really love when we get to visit Wash. racing for that reason.
Anyone have any imput on good places to live in those areas?
I def. dont want in L.A. of anything huge like that.. Id like to try and keep the kids in a smaller Suburb if at all possible where gangs and crime are a little less.
We are just looking at our options for now .
The nice thing with FedEx is that with relocating he can transfer.
It would be cool to be closer to tracks such as Speedworld and Glen Helen! :)
This is a big step for us since we have lived in Idaho most of our lives. Ive lived in a few places before we got married, but always come back to Idaho.
Who wants some new neighbors!!:D

Giz400ex
05-10-2008, 06:08 AM
We got a little glimmer of hope..
Troy has an Interview with FedEx on Monday. :)
Also think we might have a buyer for his 450r too. :(
He got his Tankers and Hazmat and passed that, so hes fully endorsed in just about everything he will ever need.
In the meantime, Im looking seriously in the upcoming months of relocating and were leaning on moving South. I cant imagine not having 4 season of weather ,that will take some getting used to.
We really want to and locate somewhat cenrtal to the racing scene so we dont have to drive so far. Looking at S. Arizona or
So. Cal -I just dont know if housing is affordable there.Gosh, I dont even know where to begin! lol
:scary:
Were sorta torn as we love the trees and we wont have that South,we really love when we get to visit Wash. racing for that reason.
Anyone have any imput on good places to live in those areas?
I def. dont want in L.A. of anything huge like that.. Id like to try and keep the kids in a smaller Suburb if at all possible where gangs and crime are a little less.
We are just looking at our options for now .
The nice thing with FedEx is that with relocating he can transfer.
It would be cool to be closer to tracks such as Speedworld and Glen Helen! :)
This is a big step for us since we have lived in Idaho most of our lives. Ive lived in a few places before we got married, but always come back to Idaho.
Who wants some new neighbors!!:D I couldn't imagine not having all 4 seasons. If you really enjoy every season then don't go somewhere that doesn't offer them, you'll hate it:ermm: I don't know about Arizona but Cal is a very expensive place to live and I live NY and saying that:) Have you guys considered the east coast at all??

quad2xtreme
05-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Charlotte, NC and Raleigh, NC are both booming areas. Housing prices are extremely reasonable.

QuadJunkies
05-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I dont think I could take the East Coast crazy weather.:scary:
We have weird weather here too, but the East coast seems to get ALOT of it! lol
At this point, nothing is out of the question.
Kelseys hates the cold, so Im sure she will love living in a place that doesnt have freezing cold temps.:p

Cali. is expensive to live ,but what about AZ?
I know there are sections in Cali. that are not as high as others.
I did price some house in the So Cal. and about about **** myself.:eek2:

AtvMxRider
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Who wants some new neighbors!!:D

Not me...........................I'd be divorced in a week:devil:

05-10-2008, 10:21 AM
A really cheap place to live is Tennese. You can get land and house really cheap compared to most other states.

juanki
05-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Cali. is expensive to live ,but what about AZ?

.:eek2:

i dont live there but i go there alot, and i just love it, probably you will not have 4 season weather, but at least 3 of them, spring is very nice, really good temerature, in the sumer you see almost all green, because of the rain, rain season a little is en febraury and march. and then june, july agost and september is pouring heavy, not much but when it rains, it pours. and the winter there are some places with in the state to ski, like pine top, or even in tucson, there is mont lemon.

if you move to az, we have a new development in our state is called rocky piont (puerto peƱasco in spanish) its about 3 hrs from phx and 1.5 from tucson, and its huge, there is alot of investment going there, lots of 5 star resorts, and close to there there is the extension of the southern cali dunes (glamis) that enter mexico, just unbelivable (sp).

about how expensive is over there, my self i dont find it that much, but i go as a tourist, so i cant really say.

i hope you find a new way with your family, and wish you the best.

QuadJunkies
05-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Not me...........................I'd be divorced in a week:devil:

LOL :p

juanki-
With so many 5* resorts, isnt it rather expensive to live there?
If we do locate, I will miss our dunes.. Im seriously not too interested in Glamis, thats an atmosphere I just dont really get into.Maybe for a wk end once in while but its seems a little too wild for me. I like to just have a somewhat quiet day of riding with some good freinds on good sand with BIG bowls.
When it gets overcrowded,all the good sand spots get torn up and too many accidents seems to happen.

But that location puts us not too far away from the Baja ,which I have wanted to go to for a long time.
:cool:

redrocker
05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
45 min north of Santa Barbara is a town
called Lompoc houses are going for
$260,000 which is very good plus I have
a river bed I can ride all the time
pismo is 45 min away desert is 4 hrs away
beach is right there Great Place :)

Giz400ex
05-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
A really cheap place to live is Tennese. You can get land and house really cheap compared to most other states. I've heard that also but not sure about good paying jobs though:ermm:

Ghost-Rider
05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I really haven't been around lately but I was just surfing the forums and came across this.

Really sorry to hear about the job loss. Best of luck to you.

QuadJunkies
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
I think Big Daddy found a job today. :)
Big pay cut, but hopefully we will recover from it quickly.
Troy sold his quad this week,that was really tough on him. I feel so sad for him... :(
We are still looking into relocating though,maybe this job will have some opportunities to do so.

In the meantime... It might have to be just me and the kids traveling for abit to any races for the year and just prey they dont have any breakdowns.:scary:

Ghost-Rider
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Just don't give up.

mx428
05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
I've heard that also but not sure about good paying jobs though:ermm: I've only been to Tennessee for Loretta Lynns, but from what I saw there wasn't much going on. quad junkies, to be blunt, there is no way you would be able to afford to live in so cal, the prices are ridiculous out here. Just our property taxes and what not are pretty far up there. Sounds like a tough situation, the economy is really bad right now. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Also, i'd highly suggest you seriously cut back on the racing.

Scro
05-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mx428
I've only been to Tennessee for Loretta Lynns, but from what I saw there wasn't much going on. quad junkies, to be blunt, there is no way you would be able to afford to live in so cal, the prices are ridiculous out here. Just our property taxes and what not are pretty far up there. Sounds like a tough situation, the economy is really bad right now. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Also, i'd highly suggest you seriously cut back on the racing.

Unless you go through one of the major cities in Tennessee, more than likely all you see is rolling hills. Loretta Lynns is in the middle of no where.

You could always move to Nashville and get Kelsey some singing lessons:eek2:

QuadJunkies
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by mx428
Also, i'd highly suggest you seriously cut back on the racing.

You dont think we already have?
We have cut back on ALOT of thing actually.. Selling the 450 was also a way to even things out abit for the time being while things re-coop.It was also an unselfish act to do what he needed to make things a littleless stressful on his family.Were trying to find a balance and this helped some for the meantime.
Im glad that the Nationals is at the half way point and we dont have anything else planned for 3 months. This will give us some time to figure out the in-betweens.

Hondamaster5505
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
damn, he sold his quad already??:eek:

Almost every quad ive seen hasnt been moving. horrible economy:mad:

dirtmomma
05-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear Troy got a job :D:D that is good news, I've been thinking about you guys, bummer he had to sell his quad :( Ron did the same thing to get out of the pymt. plus he didn't like it haha, we still have the boys' & the 426 & Kodiak, now I'm back to rididng the Ute when we all go together but we share the 426 also :)
Good Luck :)

yfz450bb07
05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
So were you guys still skipping hollister or did you find a way to make it??

QuadJunkies
05-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by yfz450bb07
So were you guys still skipping hollister or did you find a way to make it??
We had planned on skipping out this race, but a" little elf" came unexpected and helped the kids out!!! :)
They could use a few smiles next wk end. I was totally not expecting them to be going.

Hondamaster5505- I guess the timing was good for a fellow local rider wanting to make an upgrade.

DirtMomma-were not 100% sure he got the job, but Im goign to guess since they wanted him drug tested and to take a driving test ,that is a pretty good indication they are seriously considering him .
He has a freind thats trying to get him hired and said it looks 99% sure. :)
The nice thing with this job is it has a better potential for better pay than what he was getting prior and has a better reputation with there employees.
Cross your fingers!

gojk
05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
LOL :p

juanki-
With so many 5* resorts, isnt it rather expensive to live there?
If we do locate, I will miss our dunes.. Im seriously not too interested in Glamis, thats an atmosphere I just dont really get into.Maybe for a wk end once in while but its seems a little too wild for me. I like to just have a somewhat quiet day of riding with some good freinds on good sand with BIG bowls.
When it gets overcrowded,all the good sand spots get torn up and too many accidents seems to happen.

But that location puts us not too far away from the Baja ,which I have wanted to go to for a long time.
:cool:

Housing in the Phoenix area is a little pricey, but if you get in the outside areas of the city they are very reasonable. Also the housing market is in a major slump around here, so, like up there, people are practically giving houses away.

And, as for Glamis, I think you have the wrong idea. It gets wild on the big weekends, but if you stay away from the big weekends it the one of the greatest places to ride in the world. Plus you can always go to Buttercup or Gordons Well to avoid the "wild" crowds.

Good luck with the job hunt, and if you are serious about coming this way don't hesitate to ask any questions that may arise. I would be glad to help in any way that I can.

QuadJunkies
05-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Housing in the Phoenix area is a little pricey, but if you get in the outside areas of the city they are very reasonable. Also the housing market is in a major slump around here, so, like up there, people are practically giving houses away.

And, as for Glamis, I think you have the wrong idea. It gets wild on the big weekends, but if you stay away from the big weekends it the one of the greatest places to ride in the world. Plus you can always go to Buttercup or Gordons Well to avoid the "wild" crowds.

Good luck with the job hunt, and if you are serious about coming this way don't hesitate to ask any questions that may arise. I would be glad to help in any way that I can.
Thanks, much appreciated. :)
We have some pretty sweet sand here too.It is also getting more crowded on holidays, but nothing like Glamis.We had planned for a Fathers Day ride this year at St. Anthonys, but I guess thats on the "to do" list later in the year maybe.:ermm:

Raptor350yamaha
05-14-2008, 07:31 PM
sorry to hear about this. :( you guys will pull through though. like many have said when one door closes another opens. i know you dont want to move to the east but west virginia is a great place to live. i dont think its expensive( im 16 so idk). only problem is there are more people looking for jobs than there are job openings. truck drivers may be different. i did see 4 truck driving jobs in the paper right when i opened it up to the employment section. and for the riding part of it. i have Fly MX park about 1 hour away, Powerline Park about 2-3 hours away(i think), and the famous Hatfield McCoy Trails about 5-6 hours away. so its not to far to go if you want to still ride. hope all turns out well :D

QuadJunkies
05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
He got he confirm today that he is now employed.

WHEW... !!
I think I might have to have a few drinks this wk .end to celebrate and RELAX!:D

AtvMxRider
05-15-2008, 04:59 AM

WHEW... !!
I think I might have to have a few drinks this wk .end to celebrate and RELAX!:D

I could think of a few better ways:devil:

Quad18star
05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
I could think of a few better ways:devil:

All involve alcohol and a party ( in someones pants) , right ??? :p

Jerry you perv !!!!

(slight porno music starts to play) :cool:

Glad to hear things are working out for you and the family Tina.

AtvMxRider
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
All involve alcohol and a party ( in someones pants) , right ??? :p

Jerry you perv !!!!

(slight porno music starts to play) :cool:

:devil: :macho

ride4life521
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
o glamis sometime in mid february...i have a 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter..... my concern with the kids is all the partying that i read about and saw online. i mean is it like that all the time that girls are flasihng and doing all kinds of wild stuff or is that only on holiday? is it like an x rated party every night?

thanks!

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
01-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by ride4life521
o glamis sometime in mid february...i have a 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter..... my concern with the kids is all the partying that i read about and saw online. i mean is it like that all the time that girls are flasihng and doing all kinds of wild stuff or is that only on holiday? is it like an x rated party every night?

thanks!

:huh :eek2:

http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/member_photos/group1/subgrp1/what-the_1863.jpg

sexysilverado45
01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Dismay in the va-j-j

QuadJunkies
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Wow... this is an old topic! Lol

We still wanna move too. :p

tayyo789
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow, bringing it back from the dead.
To answer your question about Glamis, I believe its really only around major holidays, at the base of Oldsmobile and Comp Hill. I went over Christmas last year, and there weren't too many people, but there was trash EVERYWHERE around those areas. We just stayed out away from the main places, and it was great.

ride4life521
01-25-2011, 07:43 PM
thanks!!

ride4life521
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
how crazy is it in glamis presidents weekend?

a lot of partying?