PDA

View Full Version : Trx/kfx ??????

maddmatt02
04-28-2008, 11:10 PM
alright, please nothing like those suck, buy a zuk or anything like that. I only want either the 04/05 honda 450r, or the KFX450r.

I know that the 06+ honda would be more equal, but I would get an older kawi if I could. I can get the honda for 3k-3500, cheapest kawi I can find is at least 5500. so also include the price in your reasoning.

if I were to get the honda I would be able to afford it sooner, and have wanted a trx450r since 03 before they were even out. and I havent wanted the yamaha, can am, suzuki, or polaris at all, but when the KFX came out I wanted it.

with either one I would get DASA or Rossier. and some sore of airbox eliminator/intake like ESR or fuel.

basically they would be breathing better, but still be stock inside. I would be able to get the head ported and get a cam on the honda first. the cams/port work would take a while on the kawi.

suspension will always be stock most likely, although the stock shocks would probably be sent out and revalved on either one.

I do like the reverse on the kawi and the EFI, but I have a question about the PCIII, when you jet a carb, then change elevation you gotta rejet, on the programmer, when you get it tuned, does it tune it just to the motor, or also in relation to pressure/humidity, so when I go 5k feet down to the dunes, does the computer know this and the PCIII adjust for the new air density, ro do I still have to mess with it?

so do you think the kawi is worth the 2k or more extra it would cost me to get? looks wise I think id give it to the kawi in my eyes but they are very close.

I am startinmg to think the only reason I still want the honda is just because I am honda loyal, and Ive wanted it forever. Im sure id love it but not sure if i would more than the kawi?

when equally modded which one would win in a drag, comparable gearing/tires/rider/weight?

Ive only ridden a bone stock 04 TRX and it felt good for stock, but back to back with a modded 04 yfz was almost a let down. only seen videos of the kfx on youtube and it looks like a screamer with the big 3. and the dasa sounds SWEET on it.

what would you do and why? and anyone in AZ wanna let me take a spin on their bike, KFX or TRX

Ill put some money up and bring my 300 when im done so you can follow me and make sure im not doing anything stupid on your bike.....

04'400ex'er
04-29-2008, 03:13 AM
If you can find a clean Honda then that would be the way I would go IMO. I have herd from several engine builders that the Kawi's are hard to get power out of. The camshaft upgrade is simple and cheap on the Honda, unlike the Kawi would be. So if you combine that with a full exhaust and intake like you plan on, you will probably be able to outrun your fair share of the opposition. You are still going to have lots of change left over also to spend on aftermarket goodies for the Honda. I almost wish at this point that I had bought used.

maddmatt02
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
well, if I get the honda I wouldnt have the change right away. I would actually probably be able to mod them about equal lengths of time from when I bought them, but Id be buying the honda alot sooner, so Id probably have the modded honda by the time I could afford the kawi.

and ive been listening to sound clips and cant decide between dasa and rossier. at the dunes in CA now do you really have to be 96db's and under? I see the quiet core for the dasa, can you get a quiet core for the rossier? or just the supertrapp discs at the end or whatever? I also heard he was going to make a 99db pipe, any news on that.

gcart2
04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
I would actually probably be able to mod them about equal lengths of time from when I bought them, but Id be buying the honda alot sooner, so Id probably have the modded honda by the time I could afford the kawi.

from what you said i would say go honda. however if you are able to find aq kawi for a similar price to a honda id say go for it. I fully modded trx to your comfort is going to be as good as anyhting. so if money is a problem go with the trx. if your pockets are quite deep... kfx.

pudamac12
04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
i have one of each and I would say the honda. The kfx is actually pretty damn fast but the vibration will drive you nuts and the ergos and twitchiness just get old. You just can't beat a honda for overall comfort.

And yeah with gas prices saving money on the honda will be the better pick as their are more aftermarket used parts to buy.

BlaineKaiser450
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
you cant beat a 1st gen Trx450r!

maddmatt02
04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
well, I was at the dealer today getting my parts I had ordered for my current build, and sat on both the kawi and the 06+ honda.

they actually have the 06 honda at 3995 + fees, but it used to be 4195 so i am sure they arent budging from there, then there is fees.

right down the road is a 04, nerfs, bumper, RAZR's, new top end and hot cam for 3200. also piped and probably some intake maybe, only drove by and talked to him a bit on the phone.

anyways the kawi was 6k I think. sitting on it reminded me alot of sitting on my girls 04 YFZ, just with a harder seat. the hondas felt taller/narrower, but the seat was WAY more comfortable. I did like the feel of sitting on the kawi just as much as the honda, I couldnt pick from just sitting, id need to ride to really tell, but just sitting on them I think I liked the kawi more, but I am used to riding the YFZ and never ride a honda 450, because I cant, if I had the choice it would have always been honda. even though ill admit the yfz is a sweet ride.

GIXXER1KR
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Kawi-EFI,more electrical,more complex wiring!!!Honda= Carb,tons of aftermarket,known reliablity,and many awesome engine builders who have TRx450Rs down to a science.Make your decision.Id rather work on a Honda vs. the Kawi due to simplicity.You decide...;)

04'400ex'er
04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
well, I was at the dealer today getting my parts I had ordered for my current build, and sat on both the kawi and the 06+ honda.

they actually have the 06 honda at 3995 + fees, but it used to be 4195 so i am sure they arent budging from there, then there is fees.

right down the road is a 04, nerfs, bumper, RAZR's, new top end and hot cam for 3200. also piped and probably some intake maybe, only drove by and talked to him a bit on the phone.

anyways the kawi was 6k I think. sitting on it reminded me alot of sitting on my girls 04 YFZ, just with a harder seat. the hondas felt taller/narrower, but the seat was WAY more comfortable. I did like the feel of sitting on the kawi just as much as the honda, I couldnt pick from just sitting, id need to ride to really tell, but just sitting on them I think I liked the kawi more, but I am used to riding the YFZ and never ride a honda 450, because I cant, if I had the choice it would have always been honda. even though ill admit the yfz is a sweet ride.
If you can get a brand new stock 06 for $4200, then I would jump all over that. That is an unreal price for a new quad, even if it is a held over model.

The Hondas are proven performers, just read up on them, figure out exactly what you want to do to it and in what order you need things, and go with it.

You will not be disappointed

maddmatt02
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
its used. looks pretty clean though except for the normal stuff like the paint is worn from the frame where your boots would rub, no cracks in the plastic and no dings in the frame though. before I buy one I will look for closeout 06's around here, my brother paid 4100 OTD for a brand new 06 crf250x down in phoenix. of course they start out 400 bucks cheaper and arent quads so maybe they drop quicker when left over.

450raider
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
i have a honda - so get it,
i have a kawi - so get it

nah really i do have both and prefer the kawi for the better overall quad, you get the same reliability and all that out of a kawi as you do an R, both companies been around forever and theres a reason for it, now i do love th R too but im thinking what good is an R gonna be in say 5 yrs when all the quads have efi and you simply cant find aftermarket for 04/05 Rs? i know first hand that honda themselves considers 04/05 owners the minority of the market and when the changed 09's come out (if any) then itll be the same way for the 06-08 crowd

to summarize, both are good but id get the kawi and be ready for the future when it gets here

04'400ex'er
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
i have a honda - so get it,
i have a kawi - so get it

nah really i do have both and prefer the kawi for the better overall quad, you get the same reliability and all that out of a kawi as you do an R, both companies been around forever and theres a reason for it, now i do love th R too but im thinking what good is an R gonna be in say 5 yrs when all the quads have efi and you simply cant find aftermarket for 04/05 Rs? i know first hand that honda themselves considers 04/05 owners the minority of the market and when the changed 09's come out (if any) then itll be the same way for the 06-08 crowd

to summarize, both are good but id get the kawi and be ready for the future when it gets here Dude, they are never going to quit making parts for any year of the 450R. What would make you think that? Look at the Banshee, 250R, 400EX, and say the Z400 even... You can find tons of aftermarket parts for any of these bikes, and will still be able to for many years to come.

Why would EFI coming out on the TRX cause you not to be able to find parts? You might not be able to find any jets lmao but the bike itself will probably for the most part stay the same. When have you ever known Honda to make a drastic change in the production of a bike which has been on the market for 4yrs already?

I don't know how Honda can consider the 04 and 05 owners a minority, what would the manufacturer have to do with anyone that has a 4 or 5 year old bike anyway. These bikes aren't gonna change too much in the future, and there will ALWAYS be TONS of aftermarkets for all of the 450's

reptikes
04-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Dude, they are never going to quit making parts for any year of the 450R. What would make you think that? Look at the Banshee, 250R, 400EX, and say the Z400 even... You can find tons of aftermarket parts for any of these bikes, and will still be able to for many years to come.

Why would EFI coming out on the TRX cause you not to be able to find parts? You might not be able to find any jets lmao but the bike itself will probably for the most part stay the same. When have you ever known Honda to make a drastic change in the production of a bike which has been on the market for 4yrs already?

I don't know how Honda can consider the 04 and 05 owners a minority, what would the manufacturer have to do with anyone that has a 4 or 5 year old bike anyway. These bikes aren't gonna change too much in the future, and there will ALWAYS be TONS of aftermarkets for all of the 450's

Your completely right, i think 450raider might have been drunk when he was thinking and typing!

maddmatt02
04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont know if you can rank the 450r with the 250r, but you can still get anything aftermarket you want for that and its from the mid-late 80's. dont really see anything for the tecate4, quadracer, or whatever yamahas was called, but not sure if the honda is the 450 that will live on forever. but im sure any 450 I get will have enough support for a long enough time til I got a new bike in 7+ years or something. best bikes coming out for a long time will probably just be "better" 450's, unless they make a 600cc class for quads or something. so i probably wont even want a new bike for a while, why sell a built 450 to get a new stock 450???

I think Im set on honda now though. my girlfriend gives me crap every day for even thinking of getting the kawi just cuz ive wanted the honda for years and always give her family crap abotu switching from honda to yamaha. they had a 330ex and a 460ex and now have a 660r and a YFZ.... I guess Ill be the one to show em what they are missing.. lol

GIXXER1KR
04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Or either that Raider dont race or lacks knowledge.Dont get me wrong the Kawi is a sweet outta the crate bike but not like the Honda can potentialy be.Talk to any engine builder and see where the power can be built.A lot of Kawis in the MX scene due to sponsorship.Kawi is putting up the big dollars.Honda dont have to they will still sell...

450raider
05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
ahhhh i love this thread, :rolleyes: no i do not race, nor do i care if im sassed by cheerleaders on the internet for my opinion just because i own a different model, ahhhh its all coming back why i got tired of honda, firsatly the kawi motor has been around for awhile so whoever said that its junk or cant be modded or whatever should quit now while their ahead, okay now ill just be the bigger man and admit i may be wrong on a few things like aftermarket, and hondas "changes", (but not the whole hondas customer service sucks thing), but only time will tell so well all see now wont we..... im done, JMO ha ha

04'400ex'er
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 450raider
ahhhh i love this thread, :rolleyes: no i do not race, nor do i care if im sassed by cheerleaders on the internet for my opinion just because i own a different model, ahhhh its all coming back why i got tired of honda, firsatly the kawi motor has been around for awhile so whoever said that its junk or cant be modded or whatever should quit now while their ahead, okay now ill just be the bigger man and admit i may be wrong on a few things like aftermarket, and hondas "changes", (but not the whole hondas customer service sucks thing), but only time will tell so well all see now wont we..... im done, JMO ha ha The CRF was brought into production several years before Kawasaki ever came out with a 4stroke motocross bike. The Honda is a much more proven motor in the CRF AND the TRX.

Sassy Cheerleaders on the internet??? LMAO :eek2: :rolleyes:
I'm really not sure how you can stake this claim considering practically every bit of information you have given since this thread began has been false. You admit part of that in the above quoted post. I stated that I had been told by a local builder when (made it evident that it was here-say) that the Kawasaki's do not take to engine mods as well as the Honda's or Yamahami's. Its pretty obvious to anyone who keeps up with the racing scene any whatsoever that the Honda takes just as well (Better In My Opinion) to modifications on the suspension and the engine. Its a proven performer, since it came out in 04', and will be for many years to come.

So change your maxi pad and quit your whining. :o