PDA

View Full Version : Did I cook my battery?

RaginRedneck
04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Help.

So like a jackass I left my key on and drained my battery. So I threw my charger on for about a 1/2 hour, then I cranked it up to the highest amp setting so I could crank it over to see if it was finally going to run right after changing my jetting. The bike fired up and I diagnosed my problem.

I decided to leave it on the charger for a little bit, but I forgot to change the setting back to trickle. An hour later I went to my garage and the battery was whistling like a tea kettle and blowing steam out the side near the top.

Did I cook the battery? Did I jack anything else up? Anyone have any ideas?

Koos47
04-28-2008, 10:36 PM
More than likely it's toast. Never good when the battery steams and whistles. Did you try cranking it over after that happened?

RaginRedneck
04-28-2008, 11:19 PM
No, I quickly got the charger off of it and figured I'd better let it cool down. I'll try cranking it over tomorrow, but I'm thinking I need a new battery.

Pappy
04-28-2008, 11:25 PM
It may work a time or two or last another year...or it could leve you sitting in a bad place. When you cook an AGM battery, it is always best to replace them (same applies to lead acid but with th non sealed units you can atleast check which cell is in trouble or if it is toast)