PDA

View Full Version : No spark... Help I need to ride.

Nick110
04-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok I just did a full rebuild on my motor and followed the manual very closely when putting it back together. Now that the motor is in the frame and all electrical connections hooked up I go to kick it and it wont fire. So I check the 3 things fuel, check, air check, and spark... no check.

I bypassed my tether so I can rule that out, and I just checked my grounds and re filled them down to make sure they were good. Still no spark though.

What could be the problem and how to I check it or fix it?

TRX450RACER174
04-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Stator hooked up good and the condensor right? I dont have my manual it's in PDF in my home computer, No spark at all not even a weak one HHMMM i gotta think what else it's gotta be a small electrical gremlin. What about carb electrical if you still use any is that hooked up.

Nick110
04-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Stator is hooked up good. Condensor Ill have to check. There is no spark at all that I can tell. I cant feel it or see it. The carb is all hooked up good.

When I took the motor out I only unpluged the necessary stuff to get the motor out. Could my CDI or anything go bad just sitting there?

TRX450RACER174
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
No if it ran when you took it out it should run when you put it back, is the bike apart or are all the plastics on it, I say if it is together take all the plastics of and double check everything just to make sure a connector is or a wire is not plugged in somewhere, I know you already said you did that but just check again, I'm not sure on a kicker but it was my understanding that the condensor held some juice to release for spark on initial kick and then the stator and cdi are powered once running. If you can't figure it out let me know i can help you when i get home.

Nick110
04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
All the plastics are off. Ill go check everything again. The condenser too.

TRX450RACER174
04-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Alright let me know what you find.

Nick110
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Alright let me know what you find.

OK i just unplugged and replugged every connection and made sure they are solid. My ground is perfect. Plug is brand new and correctly gapped. I checked to make sure the tether cord wires were getting power and they are so thats getting power. Still no spark.

Now back on to what you said about the condenser, how long would it hold a spark for? The ignition system was unplugged and the quad hasnt been fired up in 4 months+. Would the condenser still be able to spark enough to get the quad going? Or is there some way that I have to like re juice it?

Idk Im just brainstorming here.

Last thing I can think of to check is the stator by taking the cover off and checking it. But wouldnt that have to be making power because the test light lit up when I had it on the tether wires?

bcg717
04-28-2008, 08:30 PM
also look over the plug wire. Seems weird but my buddy had the same problem on his 450r and it was his plug wire was bad. Just an idea. Good luck.

TRX450RACER174
04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Ok this is from the trouble shooting from the manual i will only list things that have not been checked yet.
loose or disconnected ignition wire
broken or shorted spark plug wire
faulty coil
faulty exciter coil
faulty ignition pulse generator
faulty stop switch: i believe you said you checked that
faulty ignition switch
faulty icm or CDI box
check those if you need assistance i can e-mail you the sections you need good luck.
Erik :)

04'400ex'er
04-29-2008, 03:22 AM
How are you checking for spark? I am not trying to insult anyone here, but here is how I do it.

Remove the plug and put the plug back into the boot. Hold the plug against the engine, or a solid metal ground and watch for spark on the electrode.

I would check the plug wire first after what you have done so far. The boots can be stubborn to remove from the plug sometimes, and the wire can sometimes pull lose inside the insulator where it connects to the boot.

I have not had this happen on a quad, but on a car.

Nick110
04-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
How are you checking for spark? I am not trying to insult anyone here, but here is how I do it.

Remove the plug and put the plug back into the boot. Hold the plug against the engine, or a solid metal ground and watch for spark on the electrode.

I would check the plug wire first after what you have done so far. The boots can be stubborn to remove from the plug sometimes, and the wire can sometimes pull lose inside the insulator where it connects to the boot.

I have not had this happen on a quad, but on a car.

Thats exactly how I check it.

I look over all the wires again.

Nick110
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Just got in from checking more stuff and Im pretty sure my coil is bad because I checked it going by how the manual said to and got no power.

On the other hand the 5 pin connector the plugs into the regulator is getting power, same with all 3 yellow wires coming from the stator.

What do you think guys, anything else to check or should I just go ahead and buy a new coil?

What I dont understand though is if my coil is the problem and is bad, how did that happen? When I took the motor out the quad was running like a champ. I never touched the coil or anything to do with it while the motor was out, and now that I put the motor back in it is bad? How?

TRX450RACER174
04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Do you have someone local to you that has a 450 that you could take the coil off of, man that would suck if you bought a coil and it didn't fix it.

Nick110
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Do you have someone local to you that has a 450 that you could take the coil off of, man that would suck if you bought a coil and it didn't fix it.

Yes. Thats what Im doing tomorrow.

04'400ex'er
04-30-2008, 12:48 AM
If it is your plug wire, you will not be able to tell it from looking at the outside insulator.

I'm not sure if you can remove it from the coil, I don't see why they would design it this way but it could be, but if it is removable then I would try that first.

Use your friends wire who you are getting the coil from. Remember, it would be alot more likely that you pulled the wire loose from the plug connector on the inside while disassembling your quad than you coil going bad while sitting on the shelf.

Check the plug wire first and then check the coil.

IMSROLL450R
04-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er

Use your friends wire who you are getting the coil from. Remember, it would be alot more likely that you pulled the wire loose from the plug connector on the inside while disassembling your quad than you coil going bad while sitting on the shelf.

Check the plug wire first and then check the coil.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I pulled some stuff loose on my coil when I was taking mine apart. It would be easy not to notice. Id just pull the side cover and look at it first. I also know on my 06 I've had 3 plug wires because they just "stop working," says honda. Something to do with the weep hole in the head plugging up and water standing on top of the plug/wire when you wash it. Actually I would probably buy a new wire first thing.

Nick110
04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Will do. Thanks guys Ill let you know how it works out, I wont be able to try untill tomorrow.

IMSROLL450R
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
Will do. Thanks guys Ill let you know how it works out, I wont be able to try untill tomorrow.

With that MotoXperts monster you have bolted in there, I'm sure the suspense is KILLING you. It sure would me. Hope you get it rippin soon.

Nick110
04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh its been killing me. To help out I go sit on it and make motor noises and pretend Im seat bouncing something and then stand straight up over the bumper to bring it down. Haha

TRX450RACER174
04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh its been killing me. To help out I go sit on it and make motor noises and pretend Im seat bouncing something and then stand straight up over the bumper to bring it down. Haha

You are so gay j/k , i'm laughing right now hope you get up and running soon.

IMSROLL450R
05-01-2008, 07:57 AM

That sounds so much like something I would do.......... I go out to the garage when I cant ride and start it just to hear it sometimes. haha

Nick110
05-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Tried my buddys coil set up and still no spark. ive had it with this thing and its getting dropped off at the Dealer tomorrow because I AM going to the may 10 national.

hendershot106
05-05-2008, 02:10 PM
check your ground wire directly above the coil .... i had a problem with mine in virginia...... it shook loose from the oem pin connector and wouldnt start!!!

IMSROLL450R
05-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Tried my buddys coil set up and still no spark. ive had it with this thing and its getting dropped off at the Dealer tomorrow because I AM going to the may 10 national.

Man that sucks. I hate taking my stuff to the dealer. Hope you get it runnin soon.

ohioEX
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
If you haven't tried it, switch the single connector wire on the coil with the thermostat wire. They look a like and if they are backwards it won't start no matter what. Hope that helps, I kicked mine til I was tired until I figured it out.

pro-rider46
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
yeah that little plug in on the coil, it sometimes feels like it is in the right way, but when you look at it closely its not in at all. check that out.

have you figured anything out on this thing yet?

the Z Man
05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Go to the auto parts store and buy a 4 dollar tester, start from your wires at the motor and kick it and find your spark and trace it from there..
If its you stator I have one for 90 shipped, Z.

the Z Man
05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
If you did not get the flywheel all the way on it will kill your stator..

Nick110
05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I ahve spark no guys but thanks. But it still wont start, it wants to go and will pop a little like it wants to start every so often. But just wont fire.

TRX450RACER174
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Now maybe you have a valve lash issue? i didn'y read you build but if it pops it's trying to do something.

the Z Man
05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Timing or bent valves, do a compression check and douvble chek your timing..

pro-rider46
05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
have you tried pop starting it?

ky300ex
05-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I just went through the same problem.I bought a completely rebuilt 490 big bore motor from GT Thunder.Got my quad all put back together and it wouldn't start.I tried everything from checking the ground to replacing every bit of wiring/electronics on the quad and still nothing.It would pop through the exhaust every now and then and that was it.I took it to two different shops and the 2nd one figured it right out......out of time....way out of time.From the info you're giving i would be willing to bet it is the timing.

TRX450RACER174
05-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah you might as well now just to be sure, pull your valve cover and case plug and double check tdc on the cam and crank can't hurt anything to double check it.

Nick110
05-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I have tripple checked the timing. And to the best of my ability I am certain it is right. Its set to the Dimple and not the white line. And the cam gear dimples are still spot on with the marks on the tower.