PDA

View Full Version : Ehh, Help I'm Debating...

atvmaster0927
04-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Which should i get...

Procom Rev box and an AMR monster coil

OR

450r Front shocks (stock, off an 06 450r)

Thanks..
AJ

zrpilot
04-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Shocks...PM sent!

atvmaster0927
04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
Shocks...PM sent!

PM sent back ;)

Anyone else have suggestions?

hornetgod13
04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
You need good shocks to go faster on trails and tracks. I did the motor mods first and learned the hard way.

I'm not a fan of 450R shocks. People make them out to be all great. Once you get them you have to spend another $300 to $500 to make them usable on a 400EX. They are stiff as hell and will punish you if you drive fast. I tried them and sold them with in 3 weeks. I recommend saving your money and buying shocks that are made specifically for a 400EX.

atvmaster0927
04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
You need good shocks to go faster on trails and tracks. I did the motor mods first and learned the hard way.

I'm not a fan of 450R shocks. People make them out to be all great. Once you get them you have to spend another $300 to $500 to make them usable on a 400EX. They are stiff as hell and will punish you if you drive fast. I tried them and sold them with in 3 weeks. I recommend saving your money and buying shocks that are made specifically for a 400EX.

True! What are the cheapest aftermarket shocks, that are good, that i can get? For MX.

Wheelie
04-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Elka triple rates w/o rezzies is about as cheap as you'd want to go. Still a good shock, drastic improvement over stock.

atvmaster0927
04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Elka triple rates w/o rezzies is about as cheap as you'd want to go. Still a good shock, drastic improvement over stock.

wouldn't i want rezzies though?

if it's not to much troulbe can someone find me some really good shocks on ebay or something???

04-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

i would have to disagree 100% on the shocks. 450r fronts work great on a 400ex when you adjust them. I would be in the hospitol right now if I didnt have 450r fronts the way I took these huge whoops Sunday. I dont find them stiff I find the 400ex too soft. I sat my quad next to my brothers and pushed down on the front. His squished really easy and came up too quick. Mine squished not as easy but it wasnt soft and it wasnt hard. It felt alot like the 400ex rear how it works which is really nice. And it didnt come up quick making a pogo stick like the stock 400ex shocks

trx400EXtreme
04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
cheapest (besides works) ive seen with rezzies new are the PEP race series. i got them on mine and couldn't be happier with them.

04-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I think if you are an aggressive rider or you like to jump get the shocks they will benefit you more. Especially in the long run if you decide to revalve and respring your shocks. The Rev Box sure you get more RPOM but you arent making much power there anyways and the Monster coil is a good thing because you get more performance but I just dont see it being as usefull as shocks.

atvmaster0927
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I think if you are an aggressive rider or you like to jump get the shocks they will benefit you more. Especially in the long run if you decide to revalve and respring your shocks. The Rev Box sure you get more RPOM but you arent making much power there anyways and the Monster coil is a good thing because you get more performance but I just dont see it being as usefull as shocks.

Exactly. I am going to get some 450r shocks a.s.a.p.

BTW, where can i buy PEP shocks...just wondeering

trx400EXtreme
04-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
Exactly. I am going to get some 450r shocks a.s.a.p.

BTW, where can i buy PEP shocks...just wondeering sf racing has them. dana creech racing has them. check out sfracingonline.com.

tri5ron
04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
as far as "Bang for your Buck" goes...
Shocks, and Sparks timing key.

TRXRacer1
04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I have to say that my Works triple rates have been awesome.......

coryatver
04-28-2008, 02:59 PM
definitly get the shocks. Rev box and cdi is not needed the stock works great.

400exMO
04-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i would have to disagree 100% on the shocks. 450r fronts work great on a 400ex when you adjust them. I would be in the hospitol right now if I didnt have 450r fronts the way I took these huge whoops Sunday. I dont find them stiff I find the 400ex too soft. I sat my quad next to my brothers and pushed down on the front. His squished really easy and came up too quick. Mine squished not as easy but it wasnt soft and it wasnt hard. It felt alot like the 400ex rear how it works which is really nice. And it didnt come up quick making a pogo stick like the stock 400ex shocks
No offense but I would never take advice on suspension from someone who guages shocks by pushing on the bumper.
I agree with hornet god, R shocks are not worth it. Look for a good set of used aftermarket shocks and have them rebuilt. In the long run you'll have a much better shock and cheaper than if you have the R shocks resprung and revalved.

atvmaster0927
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
So, is it worth getting the 450r shocks or not?

If i was to get the 450r shocks, i would get a new whole spring. Would it make it better? The person i would buy it from is on this forum, zrpilot. he said they are called Progressive springs. Would these be good for MX?

Pic is below of what they look like...

UNBROKEN
04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
No offense but I would never take advice on suspension from someone who guages shocks by pushing on the bumper.
I agree with hornet god, R shocks are not worth it. Look for a good set of used aftermarket shocks and have them rebuilt. In the long run you'll have a much better shock and cheaper than if you have the R shocks resprung and revalved.

lmfao

atvmaster0927
04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Bumppppp.......TTT.......

Please read my last above post ^^^^^^^

lol thanks

TRXRacer1
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Bumppppp.......TTT.......

Please read my last above post ^^^^^^^

lol thanks For $600 you can get some real nice aftermarket triple rates with resi's. I wouldn't spend half that reworking 450r shocks.

atvmaster0927
04-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Are these shocks any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX-250R-450R-400EX-HONDA-WORKS-PEP-SHOCKS-MINT-ELKA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQihZ013QQite mZ230247237809QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

zrpilot
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Are these shocks any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRX-250R-450R-400EX-HONDA-WORKS-PEP-SHOCKS-MINT-ELKA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQihZ013QQite mZ230247237809QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

NOTE: sprung for +2 arms. They will be quite stiff on std arms.

atvmaster0927
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
NOTE: sprung for +2 arms. They will be quite stiff on std arms.

Your right. I didnt see that in the desciption.

Can someone help me find some good shocks for cheap?

zrpilot
04-29-2008, 05:44 PM

Define cheap?

zrpilot
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM

PM sent

Found some $200 450R shocks for ya, but he might take less!!! Offer him $180 and see how that goes!

That took me all of about 5 minutes to find ya some "cheap shocks" LOL!!!1

04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO

I was gauging the stiffness by pushing on the bumper comparing it to how soft the stock shocks are and how you can compress the stock shocks so far which is rediculous. I have rode over different terrain with the 450r shocks and they are much better than stock. So your saying its stupid to take advice from me because of how I simply compared the shocks showing how crappy, easily bottoming out, and pogo stick like the stock shocks are vs a 400ex? It wasnt a dumb comparrison or test think about it if you can.

400exMO
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
You are correct. Comparing different stock shocks by pushing on the bumper would be a test, but not one in which I'd determine which was better. And I never said it would be stupid to take advice from you, I said I would not because of the stated.
But saying a shock is better because it bottoms out less easily or is less pogo stick like is not a fair comparison either. My trip. rate comp. adj. elkas and C@D zps rear shocks bottom out atleast once every lap, that is desirable.

To the main question, for a very recreational rider 450r shocks would be an improvement. But in my opinion the value gained from the 200 dollar investment could be better spent elsewhere. A good set of tires or steering stabilizer might make you just as fast as the 450r shocks would.

If I were to go back down the R shock route I would have them resprung and revavled. But when you add it all up the price is nearly the same as brand new works shocks.

It's all your money and if you do not wish to spend much on shocks, but would like something with a little more adjustability, R shocks can not be beat.

400exMO
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
So, is it worth getting the 450r shocks or not?

If i was to get the 450r shocks, i would get a new whole spring. Would it make it better? The person i would buy it from is on this forum, zrpilot. he said they are called Progressive springs. Would these be good for MX?

Pic is below of what they look like...
progressive springs act somewhat like different rate springs I believe. So they should be good for mx. Ask zrpilot his thoughts on how they would handle on an MX track. He is a great guy to deal with and will tell you a no BS answer.
You may also want to think about a revalve with those springs.

04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
For me 450r shocks would have been free from a friend but I bought them for $135 of another uy cause i couldnt get a hold of my friend for so long. For $135 I'm pretty sure I didnt make the wrong move. For $200 yeah they are good but $200 is way overpriced. For some reason people on this site have their mind set on starting to selling them for $200