PDA

View Full Version : ZTR 1000 RPM Springs are available!!

bulldogfallon
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
The long anticipated 1000 rpm clutch springs are now available...

We have been very pleased with the service and level of quality that James and ZTR have to offer.

Marc from Cold Quads....I mean Wet Quads....oops I mean Hot Quads.....will also have them in stock ready to ship...

We will post results of our testing shortly....Should be a perfect spring for the 50/70s...

I know I am tired of replacing the torque spring every few races..

Thanks James!!

gr race
04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Can you tell me how the 1500 koso spring compares to the ZTR i know the ZTR is supposed to last longer but how much different are they in tension can you swap one for the other or if your running a 1500 would you have to go down to a 1000

THARNESS
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I have tried two of the ZTR springs in my sons DRR 50 and have only been getting about 2 hours of run time on them before they begin to fail. I switched back to the Koso. I have heard good things about the ZTR's but they haven't worked for me. I would like to hear about other people's set ups because I'm also tired of changing springs so often.

backinsaddle
04-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon

I know I am tired of replacing the torque spring every few races..

and i thought it was just me...good to know others are having problems with the 50 torque spring not lasting

jread14
04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by THARNESS
I have tried two of the ZTR springs in my sons DRR 50 and have only been getting about 2 hours of run time on them before they begin to fail. I switched back to the Koso. I have heard good things about the ZTR's but they haven't worked for me. I would like to hear about other people's set ups because I'm also tired of changing springs so often.

Tom,

Now I see why that thing was such a little Rocket at Cooperland... :D :D :D Hope all is well... A little off subjuect but I think we are going to try and make Lorettas this year... Hope to see you all there.

Jason Read

raidernut
04-28-2008, 07:26 PM

what exactly do you mean by fail? what type of symptoms?

THARNESS
04-29-2008, 07:11 AM
It will begin to bog in the middle and on the up hills. I belive this is happening because the spring is getting weak and allowing the belt to travel down the rear clutch too soon. I am running stock roller weights,belt,front and rear clutches. Mabye with a different set-up the ZTR's might work better?

raidernut
04-29-2008, 07:33 AM
I think that ztr spring is way too stiff for your application, not getting weak like you are assuming. For a 50 with stock roller weights, that stiff a spring will really put way too much tension on your belt, causing it to bog. The new ztr 1000 spring should be a closer match to your application

THARNESS
04-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I know it may sound crazy but our quad will not run with a 1000 spring. It will take off ok but will bog really bad in the mid range. We have always had to run the same springs that we run in our 90's. When I put in a new 1500 ZTR or Koso it runs great but we only get a couple of weekends out of either one so I switched back to the Koso because I can get them a little cheaper.

bulldogfallon
04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
I think that ztr spring is way too stiff for your application, not getting weak like you are assuming. For a 50 with stock roller weights, that stiff a spring will really put way too much tension on your belt, causing it to bog. The new ztr 1000 spring should be a closer match to your application

I agree...If you use that 1500 spring on a 50cc you would have use much heavier roller weights as well....Probably 4.5 to 4.75

Could it also be linked to your jetting on the needle? Once your quad heats up your jetting could be changing as well?

I know some guys that jet lean so when it is cold it bogs, but once it warms up it is in the sweet spot....Just something to think about.

This spring is something we are excited about trying in our 50 (tonight)

riding4fun
04-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Is the 1500 or 2000 ZTR spring comparable to the Malossi red.

I would like to try these ZTR springs.

tireman43
04-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun

From what I've experienced the ZTR springs are stiffer which would explain how they should last longer. I tried the ZTR 2000 in our 90 to replace a Malossi 2000 and our quad didn't like it, as it seemed stiffer. I believe a ZTR 1500 would be closer to the 2000 Koso or Malossi. Just my .02 cents.

Kevin

raidernut
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun

Darrell i will have the full line of ztr springs, chain tensioners, and some other new ztr goodies for sale at the next worcs race, or sooner if you need, i will be representing ztr and their fine components trackside for the remainder of the racing season.

jd100879
04-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by tireman43
From what I've experienced the ZTR springs are stiffer which would explain how they should last longer.

The fact that they could be stiffer doesn't make the springs last any longer. The reason the springs last longer is that they were designed too. I had processes applied to the springs to relieve stress in the material and also used a higher grade of material. The springs were actually designed to last for several million reps, in other words to never wear out, theoretically.

I am building ZTR Products on the foundation of designing parts that will last and have the highest quality possible. I stand behind all the products and refuse to put anything on the market that is not 100%.

Didn't mean to get off subject so much.

Thanks for everyones support. ZTR Products would not exist without each and everyone of you.

bulldogfallon
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
The strength of this springs appears to be somewhere between the yellow and red Malossi spring.

This makes it the ideal spring for most of our applications.

The longevity of the spring will really nice...no more fatiguing spring in our 50s and 70s!!

Thanks James

jd100879
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I owe it to Marc @ Hot Quads for the specs on the tension of the New ZTR 1000 RPM Springs. I assured Marc that he would get the credit good, bad or ugly. :)

Gary and Marc are also responsible for keeping the pressure on me to build a lighter spring that will work for the 50's and 70's.

Thanks,

hotquads1
05-01-2008, 06:26 PM
when comparing these springs , the new 1000 ZTR was designed to be about 15% weaker than a Koso 1500 and about 15% stronger than a yellow mallossi, it should give us sufficient stall and belt presure without the undue stress of a stronger spring such as the Koso1500 or the ZTR 1500. As Gary mentioned we will be testing and setting up different quads so we can pass on roller recomendations in a couple of days. Thanks to James and ZTR crew for listening to the needs of our 50cc and 70 cc customers .
marc

hotquads1
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
It will begin to bog in the middle and on the up hills. I belive this is happening because the spring is getting weak and allowing the belt to travel down the rear clutch too soon. I am running stock roller weights,belt,front and rear clutches. Mabye with a different set-up the ZTR's might work better?
Hi Tom,
Stock rollers should be 3.5 , and I cant imagine a 1500 ZTR is getting to weak, nor a Koso 1500, there has to be another explanation for your issue. In theory the 3,5 rollers couldnt shift the ZTR 1500 unless you were turning well over 10,000rpm ,which is not likely on a stock limited 50 with a stock pipe . But let me say this , I have seen your son's bike it is running good so I know it is shifting(that kid rides hard) , but I cant understand how or why it needs that much pressure. Are you sure it has(stock) 3.5 rollers? We are looking forward to racing with you guys at the Nats, see ya there.
marc

riding4fun
05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
Darrell i will have the full line of ztr springs, chain tensioners, and some other new ztr goodies for sale at the next worcs race, or sooner if you need, i will be representing ztr and their fine components trackside for the remainder of the racing season.

Mark,

Thanks, I will be in Friday morning. Save me one.

raidernut
05-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Darrell-

I have full stock on all the ztr products now, and will have plenty available.

Mark

THARNESS
05-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by hotquads1
Hi Tom,
Stock rollers should be 3.5 , and I cant imagine a 1500 ZTR is getting to weak, nor a Koso 1500, there has to be another explanation for your issue. In theory the 3,5 rollers couldnt shift the ZTR 1500 unless you were turning well over 10,000rpm ,which is not likely on a stock limited 50 with a stock pipe . But let me say this , I have seen your son's bike it is running good so I know it is shifting(that kid rides hard) , but I cant understand how or why it needs that much pressure. Are you sure it has(stock) 3.5 rollers? We are looking forward to racing with you guys at the Nats, see ya there.
marc

Hi Marc, I agree that there must be another issue that is making me have to run that heavy of a spring. This is on Will's 05 a/c quad. (The orange one) I haven't touched the clutches on the w/c yet. It has 3.5 rollers and stock variators. It's funny because for two years everyone has told me that it won't work but it has and it has worked very well with the exception of wearing springs out rather quickly. I tried that same set-up on my buddys DRR 50 and it wouldn't shift properly and would only run about 20mph. So I agreethat something isn't right with mine, but it is now just a practice quad so I won't put too much effort into figuring it out. Hopefully when I get ready to mod the clutches on the w/c it will be like everyone elses. Thanks for coming by to check on Will after his crash Saturday. It has been great getting to know you and your family. We'll see ya in IL.

THARNESS
05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I had a chance to try one of the ZTR 1000 springs in our w/c 50 yesterday. It seems like it might be just a little stiff for the stock rollers. It was hurting the top speed some. I would like to try it with a little heavier roller but I didn't have any. How did your test go Bulldog?

hotquads1
05-05-2008, 04:31 PM
our results on a stock limited 50, after initial break-in of the spring , we ended up using 3.75 rollers with the 1000 ZTR , this made shift point at 8400 rpm's and full belt travel at about 9250 rpm's. I would try to run a spring about 30 min of drive time before dialing in roller weight, all springs tend to have a break-in period. roller weight will vary a little from bike to bike depending on sprokets, porting, belt and driver style.
marc