PDA

View Full Version : Honda 300EX maintenance?

gemer
04-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Hey Guys,
I’m a new owner of a used Honda 300EX, year 2002 and I absolutely have no idea on its maintenance :confused: . I happened to get it serviced “just in case” but going forward how often should I change the oil? Do I need to change the oil filter every time I change oil (just like cars)? How many quarts of oil does it take? Any repair manual suggestions?
I know too many questions, if you can answer as many as you can that would be much appreciated.

300exOH
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
I changed mine about every 2-3 rides or about 4-5 times a year at most. It's best to change the filter every oil change but I am guilty of reusing the filter when the old oil came out clean but it's not the best/safest method. Any more often than that seems like a waste of good oil to me since mine always came out clean even after 4-5 rides. The quad take 1.69 US quarts.

As a side note: when you change the filter be very careful not to over tighten the oil filter cover bolts. They will snap off very easily. I usually use a 1/4" drive ratchet and basically 2 fingers to tighten them (just enough to keep it from leaking-blue locktite on the filter cover bolts would be a good idea also). Usually the filters come with a large "O" ring so make sure to replace it with the filter as well to maintain a good seal.

bwamos
04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Also make sure the side that says "This Side Out" is on the outside. ;) You'd be supprised how often people put it in backwards then seize their motor.

I generally change my oil a few times a year. I don't ride every weekend anymore, I'd estimate I put about about 20-30 hrs on the motor between changes.

Generally the oil isn't the issue.. I just like the safeguard of knowing I dont have any water in there messing up the oil. ;)

gemer
04-28-2008, 02:34 PM
How do I access the oil filter? I see oil drain plug but unlike my truck I don't see filter poping out!:grr:

asleepz
04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
If you're sitting on the bike it's on the right side of the motor. Bottom right corner. 3 8mm bolts hold on a tear drop shaped cover. Take it off and there it is.

Watch out not to lose the spring behind the filter

dabomb_350x
04-29-2008, 09:39 AM
The oil filter is a removable internal filter. It is located behind the filter cover shown in picture.

NV300ex
06-01-2008, 06:03 PM
i used to get honda oil to change mine but i moved to new location so what are yall using for the oil brand n type?

01exrider 281
06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I run Golden Spectro 10w 40. Very expensive oil at $55.00 a gallon. To the above about changing the oil filter everytime I would unless you need to ride it then. But, it is a cheap way to keep things clean. What I do is keep one on hand. For $4.00 why not.