PDA

View Full Version : Nitro mix for Banshee?

jugriggs
04-27-2008, 11:34 PM
I was out riding at Haspin acres last weekend when I ran out of fuel. A guy parked next to me was loading up and had about 3 gallons left so I asked if I could buy some. Dude wouldnt take my money and let me have the rest of his fuel. He said it was a nitro mix and should make my shee run great. I was very sketchy at first but WOW it made a world of difference. My shee has full toomey t-5's, 4 mil stroker, and 38mm carbs. It seemed to love the nitro mixed in....Thing is I have no idea what to mix it at or a good oil to it with.....or where to even buy it....will the RC car stuff work? Anyone out there that runs it I would love to hear from you

400exrider989
04-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm sorry but that is just stupid, im sorry but you were kinda dumb for taking it and good thing he didnt take your money cuz it will probably cost you some, nitro is a low octane rated fuel so it fires easily under low compression (rc cars) and it has a good lubrication chemical in it, which under the higher compression and heat of the banshee well burn it up within a few hours, which is why your bike ran hard, because the stuff was low octane rated and fired too easily (detonation) Nitro is a complete different kind of fuel and should NEVER be ran in a gasoline powered engine, you went way lean when running the nitro mix which is another reason why it ran better, the nitro doesnt flow very good especially when its cold, it gets lumpy, But also this came to mind, what if he was just using high octane and hes not to bright and called it nitro mix LOL, either way do a compression test and get smaller carbs, 38 is killing tons of HP , 38s would be a good size for a Cheetah Cub motor on alky pushing 120 hp not normal 4mil bike

CSR400EX
04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
I'm sorry but that is just stupid, im sorry but you were kinda dumb for taking it and good thing he didnt take your money cuz it will probably cost you some, nitro is a low octane rated fuel so it fires easily under low compression (rc cars) and it has a good lubrication chemical in it, which under the higher compression and heat of the banshee well burn it up within a few hours, which is why your bike ran hard, because the stuff was low octane rated and fired too easily (detonation) Nitro is a complete different kind of fuel and should NEVER be ran in a gasoline powered engine, you went way lean when running the nitro mix which is another reason why it ran better, the nitro doesnt flow very good especially when its cold, it gets lumpy, But also this came to mind, what if he was just using high octane and hes not to bright and called it nitro mix LOL, either way do a compression test and get smaller carbs, 38 is killing tons of HP , 38s would be a good size for a Cheetah Cub motor on alky pushing 120 hp not normal 4mil bike
you can run nitro, but you have to jet it rich. the big 500cc 2 strokes at Devil's Staircase hillclimb run nitro, and their bikes are jetted pretty fat and they smoke like crazy until they take off. also if your bike still has some nitro left in the tank, start it and stand by the exhaust, if it makes your eyes burn then it is truly nitro :devil:

jugriggs
04-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry 400exrider989 but your the one who is "kinnda dumb"

I know it was nitro by the smell and not just high octane fuel. The guy I got it from had 3 Banshees on a car trailer and was probably a good 50 years old. Im running 38mm carbs because I bought the Banshee for 800 bucks. I decided not to park it just because the 38mm carbs were killing tons of horsepower. And I decided not to buy a cub motor just because I have 38mm carbs.

Its amazing how quickly people are to call you dumb. If you read the topic it ends in a ? You shouldnt expect the person to know what they are talking about. If I was not ignorant to running nitro I would not be asking a question. I would start a thread, everything you need to know about nitro. Why even look at a thread and then call someone stupid, talk **** about how their bike is tunned, and not even talk about the question that is being asked. Mommy and daddy didnt show little johhny enough attention so he has to log on and flame people in a digital chat box. So who is kinda dumb here? The guy who doesnt know about nitro. Or the guy who cannot read for comprehension.

CSR400EX
04-30-2008, 01:05 AM
im not sure on where to buy nitro, but i know the R/C car fuel is $20 a gallon or so, and they only use a 10, 20, or 30% nitro mix with castor oil i believe. i think klotz sells a oil that mixes with nitro. and watch the nitro because when i had the R/C cars, the manufacturers told you to spray WD40 in the motor because the nitro contained alcohol which attracted moisture and could lead to corrosion. every time i run out of gas at Haspin, its always cheap stuff or 2 stroke that i find

snakeman52646
06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Klotz actually makes a additive called nitro. It puts more oxygen in your gas. I run 4 ounzes to a gallon on my banshee and my gsxr 1100. You do have to jet up 3 to 4 jet sizes if you run that much. I buy it at 80.00 a gallon right off the web site. It improves performance alot. It's not an octane booster it adds oxygen to your gas.
Billie

pro-rider46
06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
nitro sounds like some killer stuff, i always wanted to build a crazy banshee running alcohol. read up on alcohol its pretty interesting, and tempting

honda rider118
08-06-2008, 08:27 AM
i am pretty good with rc's. i have a few. nitro cost around 40 bucks for me.. so its very expensive and yes you deffinatley should not run it with a gas engine. if it is really hot out and your riding pretty fast and hard then once you are done for the day a little bit of leftover nitro will dry up and stick to your pipes, causing your engine to try and run harder to get the performance it should have.

pb_paulie_b
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
When you say nitro I'm assuming you mean real nitromethane and not the Klotz stuff.
Nitro does not stay in suspension with gasoline.
That's why it's used exclusively with methanol (alcohol).
If he truely gave you this fuel to run then he would be a real jerk.
Running methanol alone in a gas motor will not only hole your piston in minutes but also eat your fuel lines, and rust you motor on the inside as soon as you shut off the motor.
That's just methanol alone.
Add nitro and forget your fuel lines, petcock, and also the viton on your fuel inlet needle.
You have to jet your bike to flow 4 times more fuel to run meth.
I run a 750 size jet in mine.
Add say a 20% mix of nitro and your talking 8 times the burn rate over gas.
What I'm getting at is either it was a REALLY small mix in gas or you were not running real nitro.

tyleroar
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
i run 39's/112 on my 4mm and ill put it against any one that says im loosing a ton of HP and nitro is f-ing expensive i think its 20dollars for a half gallon? anyway, i don't think that any one is dumb you are just saying what the guy told you. what a good deal on the bike. i would not recommend any oxygenated fuels you will gain a couple of HPs but its not good for your bike i would run pump on a stock i would not even get race gas unless you are running a high compression engine with a welded crank. DON'T CHANGE YOUR CARBS they sound great youll appreciate them on top!its a banshee not a 400ex !! if anything your motor will grow into them one day!!

pb_paulie_b
12-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Not many people run nitro at all.
There is no reason for it and it doesn't fit into alot of racing classes.
When you hear about nitro being run on say the pro-hillclimbers they run an injection system.
Carbs have a hardtime getting all the fuel flow for nitro.
I run a 40% mix with meth in my HPI Baja.
My carb has a pump and a RDZ powerjet off a Banshee on it.
All that for a 26cc motor :)

wingnut548
03-28-2010, 07:04 PM
hey bro what i would tell you is get aholt of some of the engine builders and the tech guys from some of the fuel makers (ie. vp fuels etc) and talk to some of those guys and get some hard facts to your question and remember that the only stupid question bro is the one you don't ask.