PDA

View Full Version : thinking about swapping my 250r rear end for a 450r

SET THE STAGE
04-27-2008, 04:23 PM
okay, so here's the deal: my rear end is currently an all 88-89 250r rear end. including the linkage (adjustable durablue dogbone even), tabs mounted on frame, etc.

i'm thinking about swapping to a 450r rear end because they go super cheap on ebay and i wouldn't have to worry about it being as old and unreliable.

my question, what all would i need since i already have most of the stuff done to be able to do? what parts could i keep?

frame tabs - check
250r shock - check
1. can i use the 250r linkage? or do i need the 450r linkage?
2. pretty sure i've read that i'll need to go with the 450r carrier
3. does the 250r axle/nut work with a 450r carrier? i'd hate to get rid of my super expensive axle lol

oh and i'm not worried about swapping my brakes over at the moment. my rear brakes hardly work as they are so i'd probably end up getting a 450r setup for that anyways

SET THE STAGE
04-27-2008, 04:26 PM
oh, and on my swingarm, it's a solid tube at where it mounts. i noticed the 450r isn't (it's got an open space between it's pivot points) what would i have to do about that? find a tube to fit it or what? would it be okay to leave that open?

maddmatt02
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
not sure about the rest of it, but I used a steel tube that I got cheap from HD and then cut a length of it that fit between the swinger where the 450r engine goes. and if you could use the 250r linkage youd be happier as far as mounting it, not sure about actual suspension action, but the shock bolts right to the linkage, on the 450r linkage the shock is way wider and the holes are way different sizes, I got mine settled but it was a pain and I dont really like it that much.

2muchquad
04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I went with the 450r linkage,they go cheap enough.if i remember right,i think i used a swingarm tube from a 350x or 250x in the 450r swinger,it just goes across the gap where the motor would bolt through in the swinger.

SET THE STAGE
04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
well, i mean, if i were starting from scratch i'd go with the 450r linkage but i've already got some aftermarket linkage parts so i would stick with them.

i just found out that they work together, though. you just have to file one of them down a bit because the dogbone is like 2mm too wide or something small.

good idea with the tube from another swingarm. i would have never thought about that. i'll keep all that in mind.