PDA

View Full Version : backfiring of some sort??

blacknblue#2
04-27-2008, 03:38 PM
i have a banshee that seems like its backfiring on one cyl. when you punch the fuel to it......when you mash the fuel the left cyl will somewhat backfire and then take off, what is this????

Dinner
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, could be that your carbs are out of sync, bad spark or spark plug, or off jetting. Have you tried switching you plug wires around to see if the problem moves to the right cylinder?

blacknblue#2
04-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Dinner
Hmmm, could be that your carbs are out of sync, bad spark or spark plug, or off jetting. Have you tried switching you plug wires around to see if the problem moves to the right cylinder?

Spark is what my guess is i just dont know the best way to track it. I have changed the plugs and set their gap at .025. I wanna say it aint in the carb for a couple reasons. I just rebuilt it with the same style pistons that come out of it so the jetting shouldnt have changed i wouldnt think and it supposedly ran fine before? sometimes it will start good and sometimes it wont start unless you drag it.....like maybe a weak spark???...................is their a specific tolerance for the gap down on the flywheel. I dunno what that thing is called but the little black switch is the gap im talking about??? and my old man suggested maybe a bad reed is that possible................honestly it never crossed my mind to try switching the wires. I will try that also

Dinner
04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Yea a bad reed would make it run pretty crappy. If you wanted, after you check to see if the problem moves when you switch plug wires. Remove your reeds and check the pedals for cracks and if they are sealing properly. You could also switch reeds from one cylinder to another if you are still wondering if that is the cause.

blacknblue#2
04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
it is in the spark..i switched the wires and same thing on the other side.........now wonder what causes this

Dinner
04-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Could be something simple as a bad Spark plug cap, or the ignition coil is bad. Double check all your connections around the Coil and make sure there are no breaks, corrosion, etc. If you have another banshee near you, or maybe even a shop...try to borrow a coil and see if that fixes your problem.

Omar
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
You should first put in new spark plugs and see if it still does that but remember to gap your spark plug.