PDA

View Full Version : Hellp!!

sales8807
04-27-2008, 02:49 PM
my z has been acting weird lately. started it up and out of the blue its a pain in the butt to start. and when i started it finally it was blowing white smoke...and when i turn my petcock to "on" it acts like its not getting gas and just dies. so i have been running it on prime. today i go to start it and i get nothing. so i decide to just change the oil cuz i need to change it. soon as i take out the oil pan dipstick/lid. watery oil starts pouring out.????? WTF?? any ideas? i know nothing about engines :(

TheNewn
04-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Gasket is broken and the water from the radiator is leaking into the cylinder/crank case?

Is your water level down in the radiator? Its obvious something is wrong with it, so the first thing you should do is to NOT keep cranking it over making the problem worse.

Be more clear about where the water came out? on the bottom drain plug? the dip stick in the motor? It would seem like if if it came out of the dip stick hole after you unscrewed it, there's obviously MUCH more liquid in the crank case than what max oil level should be.

Take the motor out and pull the head off...

sales8807
04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Gasket is broken and the water from the radiator is leaking into the cylinder/crank case?

Is your water level down in the radiator? Its obvious something is wrong with it, so the first thing you should do is to NOT keep cranking it over making the problem worse.

Be more clear about where the water came out? on the bottom drain plug? the dip stick in the motor? It would seem like if if it came out of the dip stick hole after you unscrewed it, there's obviously MUCH more liquid in the crank case than what max oil level should be.

Take the motor out and pull the head off...

It was coming out of the top of the oil pan. where you would put new oil in at. and a buddy who works on quads told me most likely a head gasket.. i was thinking the same thing.. as far as coolant. i went through a whole radiator. and coolant tank in a 2 hour ride. so i think the gasket is my problem. you think a new gasket could be installed myself? i mean how hard is it?

TheNewn
04-27-2008, 06:01 PM
If you're even a little bit mechanically inclined i imagine it wouldnt be too difficult at all.

Get yourself a service manual (OEM or clymers) if you dont already have one.

probably didnt, but hopefully you didnt do any damage beyond just replacing the gasket.

sales8807
04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
well she only ran for about 10 minutes before realizing something was wrong., how long would it take to over heat it enough to screw up the rods and such? or w.e else it would mess up?, I know alittle bit about engines. just dont know what certain things mean. :P i mean. i have replaced a piston on a blaster.but thats a whole different ball game.. I didnt go by the torgue specs or w.e. thanks for the help, if you got any sites I can use for reference. just post them here. thanks again

dpizz450
04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by sales8807
well she only ran for about 10 minutes before realizing something was wrong., how long would it take to over heat it enough to screw up the rods and such? or w.e else it would mess up?, I know alittle bit about engines. just dont know what certain things mean. :P i mean. i have replaced a piston on a blaster.but thats a whole different ball game.. I didnt go by the torgue specs or w.e. thanks for the help, if you got any sites I can use for reference. just post them here. thanks again

10 minutes shouldnt have over heated anything. unless your were riding it like wide open pinned for ten minutes. www.z400central.com the forums on there will have ANY info you need. also pick up a manual.

sales8807
04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Ight thanks guys.

suzukiboy
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Not sure what year yours is, but I know they had a recall on the 05's for water pump gaskets or something. If I was you I would ask a dealer about it. If it is a recall they will fix it for free. Just keep that in mind. It may not be as extensive as you think.

sales8807
04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
shes an 03. and im the 2nd owner... I wish though. lol :P

suzukiboy
04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I tried