View Full Version : Cam

Jadin
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
What cam should i get for my 06' 450?

04'400ex'er
04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Jadin
What cam should i get for my 06' 450?
Very broad question, lots of variables are required to answer this question.

What type of riding do you do?
What type of power are you looking for i.e. Low-Mid-Top?
How much are you willing to spend?
What other mods does your bike have?

Answer these questions first and I'm sure I and others could more accurately point you in the right direction. ;)

Jadin
04-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Dunes mostly. Dasa exhaust and some other stuff (idk yet) however much the cam is and mid range power.

DB 450R
04-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I have a 04 CRF cam which is AKA a 06 HRC cam like new for $90.00...It sure woke my 06 up...strong bottom, very strong mid range and pretty good top end, great all around cam. only reason I took it out is I went with the 480 and stage 3 cam for the big bore. Pm me if you want it.
Darryl

04'400ex'er
04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Sounds like you need a HotCam Stg. 3 If your wanting a drop-in then that would be your best bet.

Jadin
04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Ok thx a bunch! I will probably order one soon and update ya on how it goes!

04'400ex'er
04-29-2008, 03:27 AM
I plan on ordering one for myself as soon as the funds permit!

04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
You just reccommended a stage 3 to a guy with just an exhaust? He does not even have high compression, **** for a stage 3 most people have strokers. Stage 2 is what he needs, I doubt he wants to do valve work anyways, cause the stage 3 will not clear.

ghott
04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
The Stage 3 does not require any valve work or clearancing. However, it would be a good idea to get some HD springs.

And...I would have to agree, the Stage 2 or HRC cam would suit your needs best.

Jadin
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
when i take it to the shop its going through a rebuild so yeah i was just wondering what cam I should get i am not going to have just an exhaust anymore

04'400ex'er
04-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Prodigal
You just reccommended a stage 3 to a guy with just an exhaust? He does not even have high compression, **** for a stage 3 most people have strokers. Stage 2 is what he needs, I doubt he wants to do valve work anyways, cause the stage 3 will not clear.
I am pretty much 100% positive that the current stg. 3 is the former stg. 2, or at least that is what I had herd when they first began offering the Stg. 3. I believe they developed a new cam with different specs, with power development more in the midrange while keeping all of the top end, and branded it Stg. 2.

I doubt most of the people who have strokers run the stage three, if they are donating that kind of money to their bike, they are going to be running a big-time high lift Web or whatever cam their engine builder uses.

From HotCams website: "Stage 3: single-cam motor. Significantly more top-end power than Stage 2. Will work well for Supermoto and big bore/strokers. Uses stock auto-decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs."

Stock springs work with just about every ATV camshaft this company produces, with the exception of I believe the OLD Stg. 2 Raptor cam. This is just off the top of my head, don't quote me on this as I am not familiar with some of the newer bikes, but I know the Rappy had to have a spring kit for the Stg. 2

I will do further research on the new Stg. 3, but regardless, it will make power where he wants it, and I am pretty confident that if HotCams is brave enough to cross the liability line and advertise this cam to be a drop-in, there haven't been and won't be very many cases of valvetrain failure due to the stock valvesprings.

ghott
04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Stage 2 and Stage 3 are most definitely not the same cam...

HotCams Stage 2 - Part #1024-2
Excellent midrange and top end increase, good all-around cam.
Intake lift (inches): .402"
Exhaust lift (inches): .343"
Intake lobe center (degrees): 106.5
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 103.5
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 248
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 268.5

HotCams Stage 3 - Part # 1056-3
More top-end power than Stage 2. Will work well for TT and big bore/strokers.
Intake lift (inches): .409"
Exhaust lift (inches): .356"
Intake lobe center (degrees): 116
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 104.5
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 251.5
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 265

The stage 3 seems to like big bores, strokers, and high compression motors. Those with big bores and strokers who do not want to set up their cylinder heads for Web cams (large buckets, sunken guides, HD springs) usually choose to run the Stage 3.

04'400ex'er
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ghott
Stage 2 and Stage 3 are most definitely not the same cam...

HotCams Stage 2 - Part #1024-2
Excellent midrange and top end increase, good all-around cam.
Intake lift (inches): .402"
Exhaust lift (inches): .343"
Intake lobe center (degrees): 106.5
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 103.5
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 248
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 268.5

HotCams Stage 3 - Part # 1056-3
More top-end power than Stage 2. Will work well for TT and big bore/strokers.
Intake lift (inches): .409"
Exhaust lift (inches): .356"
Intake lobe center (degrees): 116
Exhaust lobe center (degrees): 104.5
Intake duration (degrees at 1mm): 251.5
Exhaust duration (degrees at 1mm): 265

The stage 3 seems to like big bores, strokers, and high compression motors. Those with big bores and strokers who do not want to set up their cylinder heads for Web cams (large buckets, sunken guides, HD springs) usually choose to run the Stage 3.

Read my post more carefully. I said I believed the Stg. 3 to be the OLD Stg. 2, the cam they used before the Stg. 3 was released. I was under the impression that they came out with a new grind that they labeled Stg. 2, and just converted the old Stg 2 to the new Stg. 3.

ghott
04-30-2008, 05:42 PM
The Stage 2 has always been the Stage 2...same specs.

DB 450R
05-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Read my post more carefully. I said I believed the Stg. 3 to be the OLD Stg. 2, the cam they used before the Stg. 3 was released. I was under the impression that they came out with a new grind that they labeled Stg. 2, and just converted the old Stg 2 to the new Stg. 3.
LOL:D :D

04'400ex'er
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
The Stage 2 has always been the Stage 2...same specs. I talked to HotCams today, and they told me that you would actually lose power with the stage three on any motor, no matter the compression ratio, port, or head work, if the motor did not have a significant overbore or stroke.

That is kinda hard for me to believe, but im not gonna argue it. Maybe someone more educated in the field can explain the effect valve lift vs. duration has toward larger CC's motors???:confused:

Anyway, here is the info. Sorry for the false recommendation. I would have made the mistake myself If I hadn't called:rolleyes:

ghott
05-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Here's a stage 2 vs. stage 3 cam graph of a stock bore/stroke 04' 450R.

You CAN see a gain with going to a stage 3 @ 450cc....but you have to have a port layout that can handle the cam.

As Hot Cams said....with a "normal" stock bore/stroke bike...the stage 2 is the ticket.

Credit to Brian @ WPP Racing for the graph...he and Wicked Motors have a good thing going with their porting.

Jadin
05-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Ya i decided a couple days ago that I would just go with the stage 2. I had talked around and people were very happy with their stg. 2's so I am going with that. thx for the info tho.

04'400ex'er
05-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Here's a stage 2 vs. stage 3 cam graph of a stock bore/stroke 04' 450R.

You CAN see a gain with going to a stage 3 @ 450cc....but you have to have a port layout that can handle the cam.

As Hot Cams said....with a "normal" stock bore/stroke bike...the stage 2 is the ticket.

Credit to Brian @ WPP Racing for the graph...he and Wicked Motors have a good thing going with their porting.

Im just tellin ya what they told me... I asked them specifically if a built, ported and polished, 14:1 comp bike with say a baldwin piston which was still stock bore/stroke would lose power and they said yes. I couldn't understand how that would be, but they seem to be under that influence. Seems to be false as I suspected!

04TRX400EX
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
How does a stage 2 Hot Cam compare with a current HRC cam? Similar performance gains across powerband or is the HRC setup more for low, mid, or top-end?