PDA

View Full Version : 400ex protection

elmer91
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
tried posting this in the body section, and no replies, barely any views. so here i hope to get better results.

i will probably be buying some stuff for my 2001 400ex here over the summer, and wanted everyone's take on what to
get.

I am planning on getting a bumper,

chassis skid, swinger skid, and nerf bars.

bumper- i am most likely gonna get the pro armor race/bullhorn. if you have it, do you like?

skids- i am a cheap fella, and will get some off ebay, maybe new. what brand do you think is the best/worst?

nerfs- prolly gonna go AC pro pegs. i want the kind that has the heel guard incorporated into the bars. cheap and look all right. is ac a good brand to get? any other brands good?

i need a brake light, and had an idea. get an LED strip, and use that as a brake like. it would be small, but im not sure on the brightness. if anyone has any other cheap ideas on this, let me know, and if oyu have done it, pics would be nice.

remember that i like to get stuff really cheap, and also want quality. just want to know your take on all this stuff, and if you think there is something else worth buying, tell me, i may buy one.

BlasterEaten250
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
There's been a couple people that have put r6 brake lights on, maybe if you search you can find it or they might say something here. It looks pretty good.

04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
PRM makes some awesome skid plates

elmer91
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM
i looked up the r6 tail light, looks good. any clue on how much one goes for? if not i can find out.

i looked at prm's website, and the stuff looks great, esp. with the option of thickness. and they are pretty reasonable on pricing.

Ruby Soho
04-27-2008, 07:44 AM
alot of people say the ac propegs are a terrible fit, but a good strong nerf bar.

the pro armor bumper should suit you well, great company good product. ive seen so many good reviews for that bumper

as far as skids, PRM, pro armor, some DG's are good. just shop around

your going to have to spend money to get a good product, you can keep an eye out on ebay for awile till you come across a deal but that could take along time.

450rJam
04-27-2008, 08:21 AM
you want cheap ?

this tail/brake light was less than 5 bucks at auto parts store

I just mounted it to the airbox and soldered wires in the airbox

(I was trying for more quick than cheap but this is both)

bearair
04-27-2008, 04:12 PM
For a brake light, I've seen some people use a tail/brake LED light for a trailer application. Less than half what a Honda one costs.

Good, inexpensive skid plates. I ordered mine on ebay from seller trail.track.sand and have been very happy with them so far. They are Armadillo brand which is also available a couple other places including Rocky Mountain ATV. The swinger skid is 1/4" thick and protects everything. I've bounced it off of some legendary rocks the last couple weekends. Put it to the test this weekend also. We were running around in creek beds up in the desert mountains near us and the rocks that come down the creek during meltoff are large and have sharp edges. My wife and I were both on some trails that weren't really trails, but merely suggestions of where someone might have ridden before. I can't believe that someone told me that there wouldn't be any need for a skid plate on a 250ex. My wife has bounced her swinger skid off more stuff this weekend.

Both our bikes have Armadillo chassis skid plates, and I have an Armadillo swingarm plate while hers is Pro-Armor. DON'T get less than 1/4" thick unless you are just using it for a small rock and stick deflector. Ours are getting USED.

We both have Tusk nerf bars which allow us to retain the stock heel guards. I had to cut a small notch out of the outer edge of the heel guards to make mine fit, her's didn't have that issue. They are just fine for keeping rocks and brush off of us, but I think both the AC and Pro-Armor stuff is a lot nicer. They are a good inexpensive solution and Rocky Mountain is having a sale on them for the 400EX right now. They just sent me an email saying they were only $79.95.

Don't have an opinion on a bumper yet. Still trying to decide on one for mine.

burnthesnikle
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM
lol what are lights?

400ex28
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Pro armor makes some exellent chassis skids.

elmer91
04-27-2008, 05:23 PM
thanks on the replies everyone. still dont know know what i am going to do with the light, been looking around.

the skid plate, thanks for the good brands to get. i was thinking pro armor, just cause i like there stuff. that also deals with pricing. me and a few other people were talking about skids today, and we are gonna try to make some. we ahve some stainless steel, and have access to a welder that can weld stainless. pretty sure we are gonna give it shot soon.

nerfs, still thinking AC, i have heard of the many cases of the hassle to be installed. but they are cheap, and look good. still wish i could go with pro armor. they make some great stuff IMO.

powermadd400ex
04-27-2008, 09:38 PM
i have moose nerfs and i love them. they look great
i also have moose skids that work tremedously well.
moose makes great products at some......decent prices haha

Hatchman
04-28-2008, 04:18 AM
I just put on this light, bolts right up, pretty bright, about the same size as stock, only 23 bucks, and can be found at Advance Auto. Easy replacement, cheap, and quick. Might be brighter than stock with the brake light.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347580

Exrider434
04-28-2008, 10:36 AM
I got a PRM chassis skid and a pro armor swingarm skid and i am very pleased with both of them...That chassis skid has saved my motor more than once......

Gatekeeper
04-28-2008, 12:51 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/pittpiledriver/skids.jpg
Pro Armor Swingarm skid. Awesome product. Bought it new off eBay for $85 shipped. Lots of rocks where I ride, a few scratches but no dents and I weigh #275.
Dont know what brand the chassis skid is, came with quad.

honda8&3
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
skids- Pro Armor and PRM are prolly the best IMO... A little pricey but deffinetly worth it never cheap out with protecting your bike, or Armadillo which are a little bit cheaper but still good quality.

nerfs- AC is good but very tough too install takes a lot of pressure to get em perfect but after that there awesome... I like PRO Armor Fat pegs better cuz you can replace the fat peg unlike the AC propegs.
Just my opinion tho lol:D