PDA

View Full Version : Case splitting tips????

two85atc250r's
04-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Is there any way to split the case without having a crankcase splitter?

two85atc250r's
04-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Well, I finally got to the point where I am ready to split the case on my first rebuild but I am stuck. I have never split a case before and I really don't want to mess anything up. Was thinking about taking it to my local shop just to have this last step done. If anyone might be able to give me some pointers on how to do it myself I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys, Matt.

pimpt250r
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278874&highlight=splitting+the+cases

two85atc250r's
04-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I have tried everything to split this darn case and nothing seems to get the job done. I guess I will take it to the shop. They are gonna charge me like $70 just to do it which is rediculous because if I had the splitter I could probably do it in 5 minutes. the cheapest splitters I have found are like $150-$175 bucks so I guess $70 is cheaper than that. Does anyone know of a cheaper splitter or another way to get them apart? This whole teardown has gone really smooth up until now, I am just trying not to get frustrated. Thanks for any help.

86 Quad R
04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
get yaself a rubber mallet, a couple plastic puddy knives and a lil patients.

take and have the lower engine on a table with the bevels for the exhaust to your right. with the left arm wrapped around the engine hold the left case bevel firmly while striking the right case bevel with the rubber mallet....

once the cases crack, isert a puddy knife and continue to diss assemble the cases as per manuals instructions. :cool:

Aceman
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
get yaself a lil patients.

Usually found at a children's hospital...;)

Seriously though, make sure all the bolts are removed. Including the ones behind the flywheel. I opened the cases on my 86 for the first time last year, all I needed was a rubber mallet and a large flathead screwdriver. Just be careful where you pry, don't wreck anything. Putty knives sound like a better idea though.

skyhighatv
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
When i first split my cases they were tough,i used 2 new razor blades and gently taped them between the cases at each end,in the front by the motor mount,and in the back near the top where the kick start would be and that broke the seal and didnt damage anything.good luck.

two85atc250r's
04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I have beat on this thing until I am blue in the face. I am so freakin' frustrated that I am about ready to throw this thing through the wall. I know for sure that all of the bolts are out and this thing won't even budge. I don't know what the heck is wrong with it. Thanks to everyone for all of yours tips. I just wish mine was as easy as it seems for everyone else. Can I beat on the crank to try and break it loose? I know if I could just get it to crack a little I could get it apart. Thanks again guys.

two85atc250r's
04-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Finally! Well, the razor blade trick worked. I can't say how much I appreciate you guys help. I was almost ready to give up. I will know how to do it from now on. Thanks again!

skyhighatv
04-30-2008, 03:42 AM
glad i could help, good luck the rest of the way!