PDA

View Full Version : steering question

mcwilly
04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Last weekend my brother rolled my bike.....twice. Both times on left had turns. After looking it over, it looked like only the bars were bent. Today I put on new bars (Pro Tapers) and now my steering is off alignment. Basically the bars are turned slightly while I'm going straight.
Does that mean my steering stem is bent as well? :confused:

BigBore24
04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
proly so. you can try adjusting the tie rods to see if you can get it straight

zrpilot
04-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Also it could be the tie rods, they are notoriously weak on the 400EX. Sounds like a full front end measurement is needed!

mcwilly
04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
checked over the bike and the front end seemed in check. I'm fairly confident its a bent stem b/c my new bars are sitting slightly bent (one side is higher than the other). I ordered a OEM (to save some cash) stem and it should be here tomorrow.
Obviously I've never installed one before.....I've looked it over and it seems simple enough. Will I have to align the front end after I install it?

400exMO
04-29-2008, 11:09 AM
The new stem shouldn't make the front end any different. Just check you toe settings.
Just curious how much did you spend for a new stocker stem?
Most aftermarkets with clamps go for around 150 used.

mcwilly
05-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Well, I put the new stem on yesterday after work. All is good now. Straightened everything up.
Funny thing is, when he wrecked, it wasnt THAT hard or fast. You can see the bend in the original stem towards the top.