PDA

View Full Version : Axle Questions?? Please Help

rossco864
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
So I recently got a all stock 88 250R. I am pretty sure that the thing has not been apart so I wanted to take the axle out and check the bearings which I think are bad. 2 problems I am having:

First, I cant adjust my chain tensioner it will not rotate forward or backward... Any advice?? or why this would happen?

Second, I can't get the outer axle nut to turn. I backed the inner (bigger) one off of the outer but can't get it to loosen up. Currently it is soaking in some PB blaster.

Like I say I am pretty sure the quad has never been apart and there is red locktite on the axle nut (like from the factory) so any advice for these?

Thanks!

kiesta00
04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by rossco864

First, I cant adjust my chain tensioner it will not rotate forward or backward... Any advice?? or why this would happen?

Second, I can't get the outer axle nut to turn. I backed the inner (bigger) one off of the outer but can't get it to loosen up. Currently it is soaking in some PB blaster.

Thanks!

After years of getting water/dirt/sand in the carrier and housing, it's probably rusted together inside the swingarm preventing you from adjusting the tension on your chain. As far as the axle nut goes, make sure you are turning the reverse of the inner nut (thats how they lock together). Not sure what else to tell you...maybe try heating up that nut with a torch?

ameier5051
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda axle nuts are junk. I watched a friend work on a 250X for hours to try to get it to work out right. If you get that thing off save yourself the trouble and get an antifade. Anyway, I would say keep tinkering with the nut, make sure you remove the c-clip that is somewhat under it before trying to crank it out. As far as the carrier goes, I am kindof puzzled. If it is an 88, I can't picture the carrier rusting to an aluminum swingarm..... Once you get the axle out you should get a better idea. Also, I am not sure about the stock carrier but most aftermarket ones are aluminum. I have seen axle bearings melt onto axles but that is in really bad cases, if that had happened and you rode it, you would definitely know it.

pdxbigfoot
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Dremel and cut the nut off with a carbide disk....its garbage!! Then save yourself further headache by investing in at least a aluminum pinch bolt style locking nut or go all the way to a anti-fade. I have a aluminum pinch bolt style locking nut if you need one in great shape....good luck....Jason

rossco864
04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Anybody got a good used anti-fade?

Thanks for the help I got the lock nuts off not I'm just trying to get the brake rotor hub off. The lock nuts were rusted on so I am assuming that this is the case with the brake hub as well, hopefully I will be able to get it off tomorrow. Any tips on that?

Aceman
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd keep the hub soaked in wd40 or pb blaster. If all else fails, you can try driving the axle through the swinger, which should force the brake hub off. Some preheat on the hub wouldn't hurt either. Put a block of wood against the right hub so you don't wreck it.

wilkin250r
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I've heard of people having trouble with a bolt sticking too far into the swingarm (like a skidplate mounting bolt, or I think there's another one under there) and actually locking the carrier in place so it won't rotate.

Try loosening all the bolts that might possibly go into the carrier, and see if that allows it to turn.