PDA

View Full Version : nothing ever goes smoothly!!! helicoil?

maddmatt02
04-26-2008, 12:58 AM
I got a used bottom end a long time ago for the build I am still on. today I finally got it all together, got the valves adjusted, carb on, filter in and then when I went to put in the banjo bolt for the oil pipe to the right side cover, no go. I started it by hand and it felt a little tough, but i figured it was just gunk from being old, I still pulled the bolt though to make sure there wasnt aluminum on it or any signs I was damaging the threads, wasnt so I put it back in and got it all the way in, and when it was almost all the way down, flange just making contact with the copper washer, it got tougher, I just figured it was almost tight, but the feeling lasted barely 1/16th a turn if that, then it just spun free. it backed out fine and still doesnt show signs of damaged thread,

so now I get to take off the cover and drill/tap/helicoil it.

was just wondering where I can get a helicoil that is the M10 1.50 or whatever that bolt thread is.

maddmatt02
04-26-2008, 10:33 AM
ok, I found sets at tootltopia.com, but now I just need to make sure I got the right pitch, is the banjo bolt for the oil pipe M8 1.25

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6801

maddmatt02
04-26-2008, 10:54 PM
ok, now I think it is M8 1.00 fine thread. I got a bolt to match it to to see tomorrow, if so where can I get that helicoil, tooltopia I only found the coarse thread. I can find lots of sites with helicoil products but none of them have an online catalog...

markvette
04-27-2008, 12:22 PM
why dont you just buy a side cover off ebay. probably cheaper than a heli coil kit.

Groves187
04-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by markvette
why dont you just buy a side cover off ebay. probably cheaper than a heli coil kit.

X2

The Heli coil kits are kinda spendy. Another cheaper option would be to go with a Threaded insert. I think you can buy them from J&L.

maddmatt02
04-27-2008, 02:21 PM
well, now I say its a M7 1.0, I bought a M8 1.0 bolt and it is just larger than the banjo, and it wont thread in, the weird thing is, part of me thinks that I got the wrong honda bolt in the wrong honda bag or something because I can see all the way down the hole and the threads all look fine, and the banjo feels like it threads in, but you can jiggle it and pull it out pull it out, and if you push down hard enough it just drops right in.

also, if I were to use a threaded insert, wouldnt I still need a drill bit the correct size, a tap for the insert, and a tool to install the insert?

I was thinking of just getting a M7 tap, drilling out the original threads, filling it with JB weld, drill it out and tap new threads. only thing is I am not sure about the oil inklet inside the case, not sure if I could just go drilling all the way through.

helicoil kits are 20-30 I think.

Ill head to ebay and see what a side case costs.

Groves187
04-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I think you need to call a dealer befor you start guessing on a bolt size and drilling your case.

maddmatt02
04-27-2008, 02:44 PM
well, just found one for 14.99, and shipping was only 10 bucks. its really clean, I think it was a mistake on their part, because their parts are always cleaned very good before sale, and most of their stuff is usually priced high compared to others.

maddmatt02
04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
well, problem WAS the bolt, I had one, ordered my 2nd long ago, lost original, then after that lost the new one. just found that and tried installing it, and the problem I had, I stated above. well before I found that new one, I ordered 2 more. they came in yesterday, and obviously they were different, and what do you know, bolted RIGHT in and tightened up, so now I got a side cover for nothing but I am gonna offer the guy his ebay fees and not have to buy it... well see.