PDA

View Full Version : Yfz wont start!

z400rida44
04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
alright i hadnt ridden my 04 yfz all winter. i noticed that the battery was dead so i thought that i would try to bump start it. i had another quad pull me and when i tried to start it, it would start but when i tried to pull in the clutch it would die and when i would try to give it gas it would stutter and then die. so i figured that it just hadnt been started in a while and that i would just get a battery and that it would hopefully start right up. Well i got one and it tries to start but it wont. i checked the spark plug and tried to clean it the best that i could, (because i didnt have an extra one.) i put it back in and it still wouldnt start. i have no idea where to go from here and any help would greatly be appreciated!

g9901920
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
make sure the gas is on.

Get a New Plug(has to be new)

#17YFZRACER
04-26-2008, 08:29 AM
speaking of gas, if it was in there all winter drain that crap:eek2: drain your carb and your line from the tank to the carb + the tank itself and put fresh in it. was it in a heated building or cold all winter:confused:

z400rida44
04-26-2008, 11:44 AM
well i just got a new plug and drained the gas. im getting ready to run and get some new gas, but yeah thats what i figured was wrong. ill see if it will run here in a little bit! thanks for all the help guys.

z400rida44
05-26-2008, 07:20 PM
hmm im still not getting anything. when i tried to push start it it starts but if i let out the clutch it dies and if i give it gas it dies? anybody have any ideas?

leas450
05-27-2008, 12:20 AM
i just ran into this with my bike. turn the gas on and open the little drain on the bottom of your carb. gas should pour out of the drain tube. If it doesn't or is slow you will have to take the carb off and take off the float bowl. Tap out the pin that the float pivots on and remove the float. don't lose the little wire spring thing that holds it to the needle vavle. remove the needle valve and check to see that the rubber tip isn't grooved or torn. blow air through that passage and reassemble. That old stale gas will gum up on that rubber tip and cause it to stick shut. Thats what did the trick on my bike.

Honda_Matt
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Just do a thorough carb clean.

Clean it all... chances are, letting it sit all winter with gas in the carb it's just sticky and gummed up.

Pull it off, clean it well. Cause even if you do get it running without cleaning the carbs, it may not run right.

Honda_Matt
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Also, if it was parked in a barn, or outside, or even anywhere something could get at it. You may have a blockage in your exhaust.

Sometimes Mice & other rodents crawl in there and build a little nest to keep themselves alive.

Check that too, if nothing else.

I bought an exhaust plug for my quads, whenever they sit, they have a plug in the pipe.

Costs about $5 or less to buy.

daddio
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Try a different battery. The YFZ needs at least a little juice in the battery (or a capacitor) to run. I just had the same problem in the dunes last weekend.

06YFZ450SE
07-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I had this problem too. Mine will start fine and Ideal fine but when I gave it gas it would stall out. It sat for 3 months without riding or starting it. But I rode it and it cleard up. Now it runs like a top again. So I think it might of had trash or something wrong with it.

Exrider434
07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
did you ever get this fixed? im having the same problem