PDA

View Full Version : trx450-yfz450

PeanutButta
04-25-2008, 06:51 PM
alright im soon bound to be getting a new 4-wheeler. not brand new but u know what i mean. i want a 450 and im deciding on a yfz450 or a trx450. i know this is a trx450 forum but i just wanna know some pros and cons on a trx450.

thanks

450rJam
04-25-2008, 07:17 PM
buy an 06 or newer trx/yfz and you will be happy

the two are IMO the top two 450's available

sit on them both and take them for a spin if your allowed
and buy the one that fits best

buying used may just come down to the one you can get
a better deal on..........................

no wrong choice between those two

PeanutButta
04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
anything jumping weise any one better then another by jumping and doin mx?

450rJam
04-25-2008, 07:41 PM
odds are your not going to leave it stock but...................

in my opinion

the yfz is better in the corners, slides a little better needs to be reved, the seat is hard and the throttle is heavy on thumbs

the trx has more low end and pulls really hard, feels like you have
more room and the throttle and seat are softer

both fly great and both where upgraded in 06 with very few changes since.

either one can be built to suit

maddmatt02
04-25-2008, 07:49 PM
the YFZ KILLS the thumb after a while. a cheap 15 dollar spring in the carb and it takes care of it, the YFZ went from the stiffest throttle out of out bikes to the softest, and after over a year it still returns to idle right when you let go.

I never ridden a modded R, just a bone stock 04, but you could definately tell it has potential, and it was only in the sand so I couldnt tell you about handling and didnt jump it. the YFZ was lightly modded and its a screamer, and it jumps real nice.

I am getting a honda cuz im a honda guy but you definately wouldnt be dissapointed with a YFZ.

I also reced the YFZ flat track one race, and rode a 400ex the whole season, and first try on the YFZ it was easier to put it where I wanted it.

PeanutButta
04-25-2008, 08:05 PM
ok thanks for the responses guys and helping me out

jshtex
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by maddmatt02
the YFZ KILLS the thumb after a while. a cheap 15 dollar spring in the carb and it takes care of it,

Thats actually an issue with the YFZ's FCR carb. The Honda's from 06 up have the same carb and the same problems.

But like you said it is an easy fix, I fixed ours without spending a dime though.

As for choosing which bike, ride them both (or all the 450's) and then pick the one that fits you. Any of them can win a race against the others with the right rider on them.

maddmatt02
04-25-2008, 10:20 PM
what did you do? cut a coil off and rebend an end to hook on?

450rJam
04-26-2008, 05:45 AM
06+ honda's do have the fcr carb but they DO NOT have the same stiff throttle

and some have had problems that could have ended real bad
when the lighter springs didnt pull the throttle back

the 06+ do have one way starter gears that are weak, if you give it gas while starting it can backfire and sheer the ears off
(honda did a recal for it)

your buying used so find the best deal you can and check it over
real good before you had over your money

PeanutButta
04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
alright, thanks guys i think im gonna go with the yfz if i find a good deal. if not then ill just go with the 450r

jshtex
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
06+ honda's do have the fcr carb but they DO NOT have the same stiff throttle

Really? I think you should try searching "stiff throttle" in the 450r section. Aparently lots of folks don't realize they don't have a problem. ;)

what did you do? cut a coil off and rebend an end to hook on?

Don't cut the spring. There are two tabs in the carb to hook the spring to. The second tab just doesn't have a hook on it to hold the spring. I found a thread on a yfz site with pics of a carb where the guy drilled a small hole in the second tab and used it with the spring running thru the hole. Thats what I did and it has been working fine for over two years. Plus I can always put it back to stock.

As for it being dangerous, well if you leave the TORS system in place the quad will know if the carb gets hung up at WOT and it will not let the bike run at anything over basically an idle. But we run the honda thumb throttle on our bike as well so the TORS is bypassed for that.

I wouldn't let the stiff throttle stop you from getting a quad though, lots of folks are living with it everyday.

450rJam
04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
im speaking from the one I own, and riding several friends 450r's
the only yfz I have rode was really stiff and after 20 min of hard riding my arms where already pumping

the easy fix is to use the trx thumb throttle on the yamaha

maddmatt02
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I didnt cut it, bought an aftermarket one, didnt open it up and try and get my own idea first though, didnt see that tab and think to do it anyways.

also, it wouldnt stop me from buying something, but until you ride alot your hand will HURT after a short while riding until your thumb gets beefier or whatever happens to get you used to it, I remember the day after I bought my R1 I took it out and got stuck in a lot of traffic so I was using the clutch ALOT that day, and had never really ridden it much the day before. and after a while my wrist hurt so bad I could barely pull the clutch, I would just hook my fingers and use my whole arm to pull it in. less then a week later I could ride all day no problem. but with a quad I dont ride very often at all, and I never got used to that thumb throttle.

the aftermarket spring still brings it to idle easily though.

jshtex
04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
the easy fix is to use the trx thumb throttle on the yamaha

I promise I am not just posting stuff to try to make you look bad. :)

Lots of folks think the honda thumb throttle helps with the stiff pull, but it really doesn't. The only way to fix the stiff pull is to address the spring in the carb.

But the Honda thumb throttle does put the lever in a more comfortable position at WOT, which is why we run a 400ex throttle on our yfz. But like I said above, to do that you have to disable the TORS.