PDA

View Full Version : chain breakers

JForestZ34
04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Guys I just checked all my local motorcycle shops and they don't have any.. Would lowes or sears have these. I need one because I'm replacing my chain this weekend and I'm going riding on sunday.. I NEED ONE WHERE CAN I GET ONE..

James

ZSK
04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Using a dremel or a file and a small punch and a hammer you can make do without.

Iliketogofast
04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Sears should have one. Any good tool store would.

CannondaleRider
04-25-2008, 09:02 PM
A Dremel........he!! a 4" grinder will work!

Just grind down the pins on the correct link...grind them down to the outer link surface, then just get the link apart.

No special tool needed.

Aceman
04-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
A Dremel........he!! a 4" grinder will work!

Just grind down the pins on the correct link...grind them down to the outer link surface, then just get the link apart.

No special tool needed.

I agree. A grinder is much more versatile than a single function tool like a chain breaker.

Rootar
04-25-2008, 10:32 PM
i use my chain breaker after i grind the heads of the pins off its ALot faster than trying to use a punch

wilkin250r
04-27-2008, 12:04 AM
The chain breaker is handy, but it's not absolutely necessary. The master link can be a bit of a pain.

Just remember, when you put your new chain on, it will stretch on you real quick. You'll probably have to adjust it within the first few minutes of riding, and then a couple minutes after. You'll probably adjust it 5 or more times within the first hour.

JForestZ34
04-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Ok guys I got the chain apart and got the new one on.. The master link was a bit of a pain in the *** but I finally got it on. As for the adjustment that's where I'm kinda lost. I know how to adjust it I just don't know when I have it adjusted right. I don't want it too tight or loose.. I thought I had it set good, then I took it for a quick spin and came back to check it and it was pretty loose so I guess it stretched it huh.. :D o big deal just have to tighten it again.. Thanks for the help with the chain. Does anybody have any tips they use to get the chain just right.. I've read the manual but it still seems complicated.

James

ZSK
04-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Make sure those bolts on the swingarm are tight. Otherwise the carrier will rotate un-adjusting your chain.;)

wilkin250r
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Does anybody have any tips they use to get the chain just right..

Put all the slack on one side of the chain. The easiest way is to put the quad in gear, and push if forward ( a friend is handy for this). This pulls the bottom of the chain tight, and puts all the slack on the top section of the chain.

It should wiggle up and down about an inch.