PDA

View Full Version : suspension or stabilizer?

mcwilly
04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
'07 400EX. I weigh roughly 150lbs. I was thinking of getting new front shocks, but was also thinking of getting a stabilizer (Precision). If I go w/ shocks, it will probably be used 450R shocks w/ a possible revalve due to my light weight (since I hear they're pretty stiff from the factory). So which should I do...shocks or stabilizer?

burnthesnikle
04-25-2008, 02:13 PM
um both....

450r shocks....i think...suck...but a cheap way out if you can't spend the big buck...

and a stabilizer i say is a must....love mine...kind of custom...of a VW...don't ask

coryatver
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
definitly front shocks. If you have a perfect suspension setup you don't even need a steering stabilizer but perfect suspension never happens in the real world

04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Suspension then a stabilizer. But yeah better suspension takes out less jaring to the bars and makes it less of a need fo 1. Theres always a need but just not as much with suspension.

bearair
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
On my last quad, replacing the suspension made enough of a difference that I didn't feel I needed a stabilizer for play riding or fast trail riding. Still would have liked one on the MX track or in really rough terrain to keep from getting yanked around. I've got the 450R fronts on mine right now, and they are a bit stiff and I'm 240 with gear. They work pretty well on the MX type stuff when pushed but I'm getting them revalved and re-sprung by C & D. The cost for all the work from C & D is $800 so figure an even $1K including the cost of the shocks. That's pretty decent for a properly valved and sprung set of piggyback shocks with preload adjustment as well as compression and rebound damping adjustment. I'll wait and see what I think of them when I get them all back. I'm sending them in Monday and figure about 3 weeks return time including shipping.

04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by bearair
On my last quad, replacing the suspension made enough of a difference that I didn't feel I needed a stabilizer for play riding or fast trail riding. Still would have liked one on the MX track or in really rough terrain to keep from getting yanked around. I've got the 450R fronts on mine right now, and they are a bit stiff and I'm 240 with gear. They work pretty well on the MX type stuff when pushed but I'm getting them revalved and re-sprung by C & D. The cost for all the work from C & D is $800 so figure an even $1K including the cost of the shocks. That's pretty decent for a properly valved and sprung set of piggyback shocks with preload adjustment as well as compression and rebound damping adjustment. I'll wait and see what I think of them when I get them all back. I'm sending them in Monday and figure about 3 weeks return time including shipping.

Wait what? C&D was $700 last time i asked. $800 man I guess i could kiss goodbye to getting them revalved and resprung

bearair
04-25-2008, 05:09 PM
They told me it was $500 for the fronts (450R) and $400 for the rear (400ex) but they discount to $800 for the set if you send them all three at one time. Evidently there is more being done to the fronts and cost of materials have gone up a bit.

Derisi was a little bit less, but not much. He quoted me $700-775 depending on if I was going to set it up for XC or MX. MX was a bit more as he uses triple rate springs on the front instead of dual. I might have gone with him for the work, but he can be hard to get hold of and doesn't return phone calls. No confidence that I'd be getting the stuff back in any kind of time.

GT thunder does the fronts for $400 and the rear for $345 but they use a new link and I didn't want to have to deal with modifying the subframe for travel clearance. The others don't think the 400ex needs a link as they are of the opinion that the leverage ratio is just fine if valved and sprung properly.

Besides, C & D is a site sponsor!

04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
site sponsor or not they do really great work but for $800 i cant afford that. Before that was a major plus besides them doing great work was the price being lower than others. Now with them being that much higher I dont think I will be getting some revalves and resprung.

j450rking
04-25-2008, 09:13 PM
try getting some works shocks that are valved for 180 and leave them be. i don't think you will able to find any valved for 150 and i don't think there will be a big dif. you can get a decent pair of works shocks for around $200 look on ebay or ask around here

bearair
04-26-2008, 12:17 AM
If you're willing to buy new, there are works shocks out there valved for 150 in stock. We had to custom order for my wife's bike as she's under 110. Basically 120 with gear. They're supposed to be here next week. I see 165 lb stuff on ebay all the time. Keep an eye out and be patient. Some really good deals pop up. There are good deals on Elkas and other brands also. Just depends on timing.

04-26-2008, 06:57 AM
I have 450r fronts and just getting fronts doesnt solve the rear issue. Thats why I want a revalve and new springs for all 3 shocks so its a total package.

mitchamus
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
get fox floats for the fronts then you can change them for whatever your riding style is at that time.