PDA

View Full Version : clutch questions

two85atc250r's
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Is there supposed to be a big washer between the inner hub and the basket? My service manual says something about one but when I pulled mine apart I didn't see anything. Also, can you get away with having some small grooves from where the tabs on your clutch discs rest against the basket? Or do I need to get a whole new basket?

Aceman
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, there is a washer in there. You sure it's not stuck to the basket or hub still?

Light grooving in the clutch basket is okay, but figure you're going to need a new basket sometime in the future. When you start having trouble engaging the clutch and shifting gears you'll know. I think some guys file 'em smooth again, I don't know if this helps much or just ends up making it wear faster.

two85atc250r's
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks alot Ace. I am putting all new discs in and the grooves are very shallow so maybe it will work for awhile. I don't see the washer anywhere so maybe someone had it apart before and forgot to put it back in. Do I need to try and get the right washer or just put it back together the way it was?

Aceman
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by two85atc250r's
Thanks alot Ace. I am putting all new discs in and the grooves are very shallow so maybe it will work for awhile. I don't see the washer anywhere so maybe someone had it apart before and forgot to put it back in. Do I need to try and get the right washer or just put it back together the way it was?

I would. If Honda didn't think you needed it, they wouldn't have included it.;)