PDA

View Full Version : Stipped out bolts

djreddog
04-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Any ideas on how to get the bolts that you would take out to tighten the chain. I have gotten all but one and it wont budge,now the allen head is stripped out of it. We broke 2 screwdriver tips as well trying to loosen it. I just bought this and trying to get it right, guess the previous owner stripped it out.
Any help is great.thanks.

REDRIDDER
04-25-2008, 11:46 AM
grind the side of the Allen bolt down flat on both sides and then use vise grips on it. i had the same problem a while back and this is what i did with no problems, and remember when tightening them they only call for 15ft-lbs.

REPOMAN
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
even without grinding the sides of the bolts i would use vise grips

hornetgod13
04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Try putting one of the other bolts back in the hole right next to it and tighten it down to remove some of the tension on the stuck bolt. Vice grips will get it out.

Brandonkendall0
04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
if you cant get it off with vice grips go to your local hardware store and get a set of E-Z outs. but i am pretty sure you will be able to get if of with vice grips like everyone else has said before me.

REPOMAN
04-25-2008, 05:00 PM
there is actually another way to do it. a buddy of mine recently got a gift from his wife. its calle the "grabit" kit. do a google search for it. i just ordered my set as this thread reminded me i needed to get some. i watched him use them and then i tried them out and man are they awesome.

kraemer
04-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Female extractor kit, looks like sockets with teeth inside... I believe sears carries them, well worth the investment

REPOMAN
04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by kraemer
Female extractor kit, looks like sockets with teeth inside... I believe sears carries them, well worth the investment
didnt think about that

04-26-2008, 07:01 AM
when i had stripped bolts i tried everything letting heavy lubricator/degreasor type stuff soak in for days. Nothing still would grip it. Then I realized hey my dad bought that new dremel 2 months ago. I took the dremel and the small grinding wheel making a slot all the way across it so I could get a big flat head screw driver into it and what do you know it worked like a charm.

djreddog
04-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys,Im about to go out and try them to see what works. Ill update as soon as it comes out.

BigBore24
04-26-2008, 06:52 PM
i used a chesel and a hammer on mine. just get a good bite and beat it counterclockwise. a air hammer would do even better if you got it