PDA

View Full Version : 30mm nut behind clutch plates??

YELLOW RR
04-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I am doing the oil upgrade from jtatv.com, I need some tips on getting this thing off, the 30mm nut does not stay stationary, it spins with the basket, So what do i need to keep the basket from spinning? Will hand tools work or do i need an impact gun?

jshtex
04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
An impact gun is the easiest way to do it. But if you can figure out a way to hold the basket, you can use a breaker bar. It seems like i have done it by putting something (soft metal like brass) between the gear on the crank and the counter ballancer shaft gear. Basically locking it up so I could take the nut off.

Good luck.

YELLOW RR
04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
I picked up an impact, the nut came right off!, got the 2007 oil pump instaled. Put the clutch back together, now i just need to get the engine case back on and have my new bearings put in the carrier. Almost riding again!!

#17YFZRACER
04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
impact all day:D make sure you torque it to specs when you put it back together. but yeah if you can lock it with something softer than the basket so it doesnt bend it:eek2:

acrtheone
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
i am going to get the oil upgrade soon and i saw that you need to take off the clutch basket with an impact gun. I don't have an impact gun and when my fourwheeler is taken apart i can't transport it to were i have access to one.

I was looking on the internet and i found a clutch hub holder for $20. Would that work and would i then be able to use a breaker bar to get it off?

daddio
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Please get the correct tool before you bust your basket, hub or break a gear with the impact gun.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/clutch_holding_tool/

acrtheone
04-30-2008, 05:08 AM
I know about that tool that is what i was talking about, I found one for $20 though.

My question is, is it possible for me to use a regular ratchet to get the nut off and not with an impact gun because i dont have access to one.

daddio
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes, with the tool, a regular socket and ratchet will remove the nut. NEVER us an impact tool on your transmission.

acrtheone
04-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks,

I can't wait till i get enough money to do the oil upgrade, i will feel that much safer.

daddio
04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by acrtheone
Thanks,

I can't wait till i get enough money to do the oil upgrade, i will feel that much safer.

I've done the upgrade to all 4 of our motors, but I did it before anybody was selling the "mod", so I had to figure it out on my own.